How do you manage staycation bookings?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you manage staycation bookings?

33555601_Plus_190717-134.jpg

Hi everyone,

Here in England, we are seeing the lessening of lockdown measures - today’s protocol means hospitality is restarting and many Hosts are celebrating booked summer calendars. 

However, leaving the country is still on the no-go, and that’s true for many countries the world over. I, for one, am itching to take a little break within the British isles which is what is being called a “Staycation” - holidaying in your own country.

As someone who’s living on the search platform as a guest at the moment for Dorset, Devon and Wales, it would be great to see how Hosts are changing (if anything) for a summer of staycations.

What’s different about Hosting staycation guests? What other considerations do you have?

Cheers!

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

95 Replies 95

My humblest apologies to anyone called Dwight or Tim......

Aidan65
Level 6
Great Malvern, United Kingdom

@Stephanie 

As with others 17th May is the earliest I will be able to host people in my home. I have a handful of forward bookings for the summer and unless things change significantly for the worst expect to go ahead with them.

Until last Autumn as a long term host I had nothing but good things to say about Airbnb but then the  global T&Cs re: cleaning and mask wearing became mandatory, completely ignoring different conditions in different parts of the world. The management communication has been insulting in the replies to this community - effectively like it or lump it. As Airbnb is a hobby rather than a business for me I am in a position to lump it. I have refused to sign up to these T&Cs - happy to wear a mask in the supermarket etc but not in my own home. I have a note in my diary closer to 17th May to decide whether to swallow my pride, tick the box and just ignore the T&Cs as surely most/any other host who welcomes guests to their own home must be doing.

I learnt today that a friend of mine's 18 year old son has left today for a weeks Airbnb holiday somewhere in England with five of his mates - all from different households and clearly breaking all of the regulations.

So on one hand Airbnb asks hosts to sign up for unenforceable absurd T&Cs while having either no interest or no way to manage bookings that break the local regulations.

Little point preparing an article for the community while Airbnb management occupy a separate world to the rest of us.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Aidan65 

Sadly there are always guests willing to break the rules and lazy hosts who see pound sounds as being more important that abiding by our Covid legislation.

What does your friend who is letting their son go think?

Aidan65
Level 6

@Helen3

Well she only found out the morning he was leaving.. To be fair his group have generally followed regulations - including self-isolating when one of them tested positive last Autumn. They have generally followed the 'Stay Alert' philosophy - this is the first time I'm aware any of them have specifically gone against the current advice. I'm not going to condemn him, my comments were more about how out of touch Airbnb are between global advice and what actually happens on the ground.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Well we don't get to pick and choose which regulations we follow @Aidan65 

just because they have abided by them previously doesn't give them and their parents a free pass to ignore them now 😢

when I had an 18 year old I would always know when he was planning to holiday when it was booked rather than only find out on the morning of their departure. 

@Aidan65 I was critical of Airbnb when they blocked listings in the UK last year  even though it was, in certain cases, legal to host. I was happy that this year they left it to hosts to police the law but you appear unhappy with that. I guess they can't win either way.

On a separate point your friend's son is actually breaking the law not just going against the current advice. If you are happy with this why are you unhappy with Airbnb's approach?

@Aidan65  "to decide whether to swallow my pride, tick the box and just ignore the T&Cs as surely most/any other host who welcomes guests to their own home must be doing."

Uh, no. I haven't hosted my home share since last March and I would consider it highly irresponsible to host guests if I wasn't willing to wear a mask in common spaces that I share with guests, and would require them to do the same. And I have always cleaned to pretty much the cleaning protocol level, anyway, ever since I started hosting over 4 years ago. 

This virus is still raging and killing people because too many people think they have the "right" to ignore the Covid restrictions designed to protect everyone.

Aidan65
Level 6

@Sarah977 

Fair enough but I think it is important for people to follow local conditions and regulations. For example last July, as the UK allowed home stays again I put the following comments on my listing:

"I am content to again welcome guests into my home as the lockdown eases. In terms of interaction the only mandatory shared spaces are the entrance and the kitchen if you choose to use it. During your stay I will have no need to go anywhere near your bedroom and bathroom.

I believe I have always cleaned and prepared the rooms to a good standard. To be honest Covid-19 does not really change this. I am happy with the 'Stay Alert' philosophy and to use common sense. I also believe those guests even considering using Airbnb with a live-in host are likely to share that philosophy with respect and Covid etiquette flowing both ways between myself and my guests.

If you have any specific queries feel free to message me before any booking is confirmed."

I still hold to that philosophy. I haven't had anyone stay since the impact of the virus locally started to increase in my area towards the end of last year. At present in my area the virus data has reduced but may increase again later in the year. I will follow the local advice and only allow guests when conditions are suitable.

I believe it is fundamentally wrong of Airbnb to impose these protocols globally - in particular I have a lot of sympathy for hosts in places like New Zealand where the virus is essentially absent, and nobody wears a mask anywhere . Airbnb's policy has little to do with the health of hosts and guests, but more to do with protecting their corporate image. They should be asking guests and host to follow the local conditions. Unfortunately they have a near monopoly now in terms of where people look for 'spare room' type accommodation like mine so if I want to carry on welcoming guests I have little choice but to go with Airbnb.

Clare167
Level 10
United Kingdom

I don't intend to host through Airbnb for now, and perhaps never again. Like @Aidan65 I am not happy to commit to the protocol (maybe for different reasons). And I just don't want to take the risks of dealing with strangers, when anything could happen to my flat, or in it, and the likelihood is that Airbnb would not back me up. Weirdly, I received an email today from Airbnb, saying that as I had enjoyed a five star stay as guest (which was last autumn) would I like to become a host. "Learn how Airbnb protects you." It made me wonder whether they are desperate for new UK hosts.

Kathy312
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

.......yes we too host in Scotland & thank initially Fiona.... & the rest of you.... for that nudge to Airbnb that Scotland is very definitely not the same as England. We find that has happened before which is a bit disturbing for a company that should be aware of geography. In terms of host safety we have pleaded with Airbnb to provide post codes or localities for potential guest so that we can assess what risk they might present.  Unfortunately this has not happened, but most guests have responded when requested. This information was especially needed during the tier system when we had potential bookings from folk who were not clear to travel. That type of information may prove necessary in the future.

Our island has been remarkably peaceful without tourists but we do need the income and so will welcome them at the end of April. What we will really miss are the overseas guests, and suspect that Brexit may have an impact here when barriers are lifted. Their presence....rather than any prompting from Airbnb, indicated that we were part of a wider community.

Alison771
Level 2
Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

We have a holiday cottage in Windermere, Cumbria, Our first guests arrived today, we have a lot of bookings until October. 

We have not put back games, books,DVDs etc. soft furnishings are also stored away as are the hairdryers. We will review this over time. 

I can't wait to see local businesses re-opening, there is a definite 'buzz' in the town.

I remain optimistic, although  I think an Autumn lockdown is possible.

Lets keep it all crossed and enjoy a bit of freedom 🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hurray @Alison771 !

I do hope your first guest is a dream. I spotted a few blokes have a pint outside a pub in town yesterday - nothing can hold the nation back from a beer garden I suppose? 

I applaud your positive energy - I can't wait for things to feel cautiously more normal (if that makes sense) but agree, let's be hopeful.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Adam784
Level 2
Pentewan, United Kingdom

I am seriously reconsidering AirBNB after the past year. I dabbled with two other platforms last year but soon dropped them due to poor support. However my concern now is that the quality of people we will be hosting may have deteriorated somewhat due to restrictions on overseas travel. We had to make the decision to let long term during Covid lockdown and so it will take some time to get the property back up to scratch anyway. With the increased charges falling to hosts AirBNB is less attractive.

We used to host quite a few guests from overseas but I am finding to hard to imagine how this will be viable in future, and the risk of yet another lockdown is quite high and would be financially disastrous. We lost a lot of money last year and cannot afford to do so again.

So, in a nutshell, it's a wait and see for us.

I do agree with other posts that the vitriol directed @Stephanie was uncalled for, but do wish you would "get in touch" rather than "reach out". Our language is being butchered enough without more Americanisms creeping in. 😉

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Adam784 ,

It is an uneasy time for certain. On your guest quality remark, I've read countless tips from wonderful Hosts on how to detour the rotters and attract highly quality of guests. Things like screening questions and pricing a little higher are often mentioned. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

PS - As an English Language student, I feel your pain. I shan't be sacrificing the "u" in my words any time soon, mind you. 

-----

John1902
Level 8
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom

I'm reopening on the 17 May and despite no concerts or big weddings initially, bookings here in Aldeburgh in Suffolk are coming in thick and fast, and it looks like I'm the only homestay in town now.  Despite making it very clear that I offer homestays it is amazing how many don't notice and think the whole house is for them.   Surprising guests aren't being more thorough reading the literature.   

If the dates change then we have to just cancel bookings and rejig the calendars .  

I'm feeling slightly nervous about starting up but I think that's more my general concern about getting back to normal, whatever that is, as normal To me is Lockdown! 

But actually it is having guests here that makes me fall back in love with the place I live in and when guests fall in love with it, it makes me very happy.   Last summer was a little reserved, hopefully we can all benefit from the freedoms that the vaccines are bringing  us for this summer.   I wish all fellow hosts all the best and for a successful relaunch of our UK hosting.