How do you manage staycation bookings?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you manage staycation bookings?

33555601_Plus_190717-134.jpg

Hi everyone,

Here in England, we are seeing the lessening of lockdown measures - today’s protocol means hospitality is restarting and many Hosts are celebrating booked summer calendars. 

However, leaving the country is still on the no-go, and that’s true for many countries the world over. I, for one, am itching to take a little break within the British isles which is what is being called a “Staycation” - holidaying in your own country.

As someone who’s living on the search platform as a guest at the moment for Dorset, Devon and Wales, it would be great to see how Hosts are changing (if anything) for a summer of staycations.

What’s different about Hosting staycation guests? What other considerations do you have?

Cheers!

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

95 Replies 95
Fiona58
Level 6
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I believe that you mean in England.  The rest of the UK is still in more controlled restrictions until 26 April at the earliest here in Scotland.

Enjoy

Fi

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Fiona58 , I'll change the text 😅

-----

Heather131
Level 5
Hastings, United Kingdom

I’m going to wait another month then review the situation!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Fair - I think it's one of those things where we should be cautiously optimistic. I've got my fingers crossed for all hosts that we can get that normality back soon @Heather131 !

Thanks

PS - My family and I used to visit Hastings on a near yearly trip to watch the re-enactment and see the dress up. 

-----

Adam784
Level 2
Pentewan, United Kingdom

Same here. Had to put in place other options for the property and now cannot re-start until July at the earliest.

Alasdair6
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Yes, as  Fiona58 has already said, we are not hosting yet here in Scotland. It is against the law for any kind of tourist accommodation to open here before 26th April at the earliest. Today's relaxation of restrictions only applies to England.

Alasdair & Clare

Fiona319
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Scotland opens up after April 26. I’m just sprucing up my one Airbnb with fresh crockery, artworks etc ready for first returning guest in May. Most bookings are domestic as predicted, kept cancellation flexible, so looking forward to welcoming first guest! 

Veronica-Of-Excel-Proper0
Level 8
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephanie, thank you for reminding us of recent changes in England (@Fiona58's reminder) about hosting.
From my perspective, I wouldn't say we prepare differently for UK-based leisure guests, compared to any other guest groups. However, it should be noted that whilst essential travel for work has been allowed throughout, accommodation where the entrance is shared with two or more households.

Only in instances with separate/private entrances can 'staycation' guests be accepted. That's excellent for hosts providing separate houses, including farmhouses, or private entrance to an apartment!  

Simon2560
Level 2
Burwash, United Kingdom

I'm now open with plenty of bookings coming in. Let's be honest though this distopian government will likely be locking us down again by Autumn. Don't believe their lies! 

Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Crikey Stephanie travel is complicated. The British Isles are England, Wales, Scotland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man. The United Kingdom (UK) includes Northern Ireland. For covid travel there are different rules in all of these areas. England has reopened today (12th April) but only for 1 household (or bubble) staying away from home together for leisure. Any establishment with shared entranceways or facilities cannot reopen until the rules are relaxed further on 17th May.  From 17th May in England only 2 households or a group of 6 can stay inside together. It's not until 21st June 3 households or more can stay together. If any of these details is incorrect (even though i've checked them) it shows why many people are holding off from booking their travel. We received 3 enquiries this weekend - they were all asking about cancellation policy in the event of government restrictions. 

Good luck everyone!

@Stephanie 

Lucinda69
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

Until May 17 I cannot open up my accommodation because it’s not self-contained.

Sarah1120
Level 2
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

We won't be hosting again until we have both had 2 jabs and feel comfortable. We do the original airbnb hosting i.e we host guests in a spare room and give them breakfast. So it is not self-contained accommodation. We miss our guests very much, and look forward to hosting again, but not yet.

Jillie1
Level 10
Harrogate, United Kingdom

I'm waiting until 17th May, just to be on the safe side.....there's a shared communal entrance & stairway to the apartment.  Good luck to all other hosts and fingers crossed for the future months & years ahead.

Charles-And-Jeanette0
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Well firstly we are in Scotland not England. And honestly what a palaver of security to receive a pretty pointless message