How do you offer the same hosting experience with more than 1 listing?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you offer the same hosting experience with more than 1 listing?

Welcome.jpg

Hello everyone,

I would hazard a guess, that here in the Community Center, quite a few of you look after more than one listing. Perhaps you have guests who share your home, plus you have an entire listing which you also rent out or perhaps you are also a co-host for another property. Maybe you have two listings inside your home. There are lots of possibilities.

Here in the Community Center, we regularly talk about the little extras and how you make your guests feel at home.

When you have more than one home to look after, how do you make sure you offer the same welcoming experience? Do you have any tips?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

21 Replies 21

@Emily352 You don't have a profile or a listing??? weird - many of us like to look and share ideas and learn from other hosts! So what gives? 

Funny! English/Creative Writing prof? Should be!

@Clara116

Let me explain this again. When I was 20, I put my dad in this home booking portal. I managed some flats in Milan and Monza for him. Also the house where I used to live. I hosted hundreds of travellers in my house. I have so many memories from those days. And hosting has left an indelible mark on me.

The only words that fit are too pale because those memories are so vibrant. It’s never too late to thank someone, right? I would like to thank all the people I hosted. Ladies and gentlemen, please know you have my deepest gratitude for bringing a great deal of beauty, grace, love, troubles, filth, confusion and joy in my life. In other words, for making it real.

Even if I haven’t had any guest for over three years, hosting is alive and well in my heart, mind and soul. It's kind of cool knowing it's out there somewhere. You just gotta seek and ye shall find it, my friend. I can’t find it in AIRBNB anymore. Peace, love and stars.

Emily

Pano0
Level 2
Athens, GR

Hi @Lizzie and friends,

I have more than one listings in different parts of the country (Greece) so now I am trying to create a professional account on behalf of a company that I have just started in order for me to be able to make it a business. I agree with @Jenny that the most important thing is the personal touch and I have managed to remain personal regardless of the amount or the distance. I will also try the superhosttools platform but I meant to ask: Does anyone have experience with professional hosting as a company? Thank you for your input. 

Prue0
Level 6
Bristol, United Kingdom

I host 4 rooms in my house and 2 x 2 bedroom flat down the road with a co-host. They are not luxurious but are furnished with care and lots of original pictures because I like art. 

It is all about designing the service and making clear what is offered, then doing it consistently at a fair price. 

All guests meet a real person on arrival. We talk to them about why they are here and what they are looking for and try to offer help and suggestions. We make clear that we are about and available if they need us but otherwise we leave them to enjoy their stay. In most cases we do not see them again. I have my own private space in the house and stay there. Guests have their own sitting room with tea coffee and snacks always available. I designed it this way after running a top end place a few years ago with 7 bedrooms (not air bnb) where I was the ever present hands on host, cooking award winning breakfasts every morning and entertaining guests with wine and chat almost every night. I burned out after 5 years. Being the centre of a dynamic with up to 7 strangers or couples who perceive you as the centre link is utterly exhausting. This time I have kept that to a minimum, but the guests themselves sometimes create their own social space in their sitting room.  

The design is tweaked as we go along. For example- I used to bake fresh croissants every night and put them out in the breakfast room. 80% went uneaten. In the end -unable to bear the waste and mindful of the expense- I gave up and bought cheap wrapped brioches and pains au chocolat (yes I agree, not great but very long use by dates!) and breakfast bars (ditto). They are always eaten. I am in a city and many guests are here to work so a grab and go snack is much better for them than fiddling about with plates butter marmelade and a croissant that inevitably leaves crumbs on the floor and a blob of buttery jam on a shirt front. Tourists and leisure guests didn't eat the croissants because there are literally dozens of cafes on my street offering everything you could ever want for breakfast. 

We leave a few breakfast bars and fresh fruit in the flats too. The fresh fruit is rarely touched in house or flat...but I will keep doing it because it looks good.

Of course- if I were located in a small village or farm the design of the service would be very different- but my guests and their needs and expectations would be very different too. So  managing one space or many means carefully deciding what kind of guests you might attract, considering their needs and how to meet them.... then considering your needs as a host and working out a system that as far as possible works for both. Then reviewing and adapting as you go along.

But the personal touch is still the hallmark of an air bnb experience which means that in my spaces there will be original paintings, colour and nothing beige or polyester because it is a space I have designed for you to enjoy. And most people will enjoy because they look at the photos online.  You will be welcomed personally and given as much attention as you want while staying, which for most people is not much. And occasionally -if I find you really interesting- I will invite you into my private space for a glass of wine!!

Linda505
Level 4
Ballarat, Australia

My hubby and I currently run 6 entire places. We do everything on our own which I find helps to maintain that personal touch.

We have self check-in so we never really see a guest unless they are floating around while we are cleaning the other properties (4 of them are in one complex).

We have a nice personalised welcome sign in each property and make sure they receive lots of correspondence from us to make sure they are happy and have everything they need.

I think as long as they guest feels like they are looked after and get a response as soon as they message, they are happy.

In all the years we have been hosting we have never had anyone say they felt their experience was impersonal, so we must be doing something right!

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Lizzie We own and manage four two bedroomed detached lodges here in Hurstpierpoint near Brighton UK, they are rented out via our own website, AIRBNB and Trip Adviser Rentals. We opened in May 2017 after a two year building project. During the building phase I sort lots of advise on how to manage this site and what follows is a break down of the advise we received:

a) Furnish all lodges identically.

b) Use identical white linen and bathrobes in each lodge.

c) Change linen every four days or after a guest leaves regardless.

d) Provide a welcome pack that covers breakfast on the first day and give a choice of bread types.

e) Provide parking for one car per booking, charge extra for multiple vehicles.

f) Never accept third party bookings they are normally a problem!

g) Do not accept same day bookings because you never know if someone has been asked to leave another site.

h) Always check in guests personally regardless of the time because guests sometimes tell "porky pies".

i) Always ensure your accommodation is extremely clean and tidy when a guest checks in, it is human nature to leave a house the way you found it! There are some problem children out there but they are the exception not the rule.

j) Remember you are running a business not a charity.

Regards Shaun