How do you plan your trips?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you plan your trips?

529005_GettyImages-912338074_ForYou.jpg

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well and getting ready for another weekend ahead. 

This year I had decided I wouldn't travel outside of the UK as the stress and hassle of it wasn't worth it for me personally.

Things didn't really go according to plan, however. Yesterday, as I unexpectedly flew to Greece, I tried to figure out different aspects of my stay, which I didn't have the time to plan. 

And while this was happening, I wondered what key factors you consider when making your travel plans and arrangements? Is it the location? Nearby attractions? Pricing? 

What are the most crucial factors when making your travel plans, and what, if anything, you don't mind leaving to chance? 

Are there any tips and tricks you'd like to share?

Thank you

Nick 

21 Replies 21
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is the best plan, then. If someone is excellent at planning, he might as well take that moment to shine, while you do all enjoy and compliment his work - everyone wins hahaha @Jessica-and-Henry0 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Nick  Did you mention Greece ? ??Where's that?  It must be in my dreams !

My planning starts with

1. Internet searches for flights, times, hire cars or public transport.

2. Location of accommodation near public transport or out of built up areas with a hire car.

3. Accommodation prices within budget and what the accommodation offers.

4. Bathrooms as @Liv points out. After several trips to UK and Europe  I have to now check out the showers as some need instructions a bit outdated or insufficient water supply and you dont find out till you use them. 

5. Accessability in accommodation, as in a number of stairs to bedrooms or to bathrooms.

6. Interests as @Helen427 mentions and the reason why travelling.

7. Wi Fi access

8. @Gordon0  great idea for a photo copy of Covid positive test results and I would add a copy of  vaccination dates as we don't have a vacination passport downunder yet. I also copy bookings for accommodation, flights, insurances, passports, drivers licence, pension cards all on recycled paper. I know I may be over cautious but it is a long way home if everthing is on your phone if lost no sim card or not working. 

Lastly, this is a wish list for me, I can't even travel to some local region areas, or states within Australia let alone visit daughter in New Zealand. But you could say we are lagging or behind the northern hemisphere.

@Gordon0 @Laurelle3  I also print out hard copies of everything- flight and accommodation confirmations,  personal ID, any written location directions, and now, Covid test results and proof of vaccine.

You never know if technology will fail, you lose or drop your phone and break  it, it runs out of charge, or something gets stolen. Maybe an extreme weather event knocks out the cell signal or Wifi.

And it's important to keep those copies not in the same place as the original, like I wouldn't keep my passport copy in the same bag I had the passport.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nick 

Planning a trip?!?!?

Between changeovers for our apartments, refurbishing our house, looking after an elderly dog, and Covid we are not planning any trips.

Hopefully next year we can think about travel to Asia and beyond but for now it's rural Derbyshire for us.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 as you are referring to my signature which is linking to this topic, I moved the comment here so that it is relevant to this discussion🙂  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Nick , sorry to hear about your father. The biggest issue with being an ex pat.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you @Sandra126, his recovery is very slow but steady