How do you price baby amenities?

Alon28
Level 3
Israel

How do you price baby amenities?

Hi there!

We'd like to offer a baby cot for an extra fee. We'd like to charge for it because:

- our place isn't very big so we'd rather remove it from the apartment when it's not needed

- it means dealing with extra linens, and I'm guessing a spare matress will also be needed

Would love to hear how you price baby amenities - do you charge a flat rate? What would you consider an appropriate rate? On one hand I think it's a very useful extra for guests traveling with small babies; on the other hand I want to seem like we're exploiting the guest's needs.

Thanks!

14 Replies 14
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Alon28 I have a travel cot and a high chair available for guests. I don't charge for it. I would rather they used it for free than have the baby sleep/eat elsewhere when more damage could be done. The wear and teasr is negligible and the cost of laundering the sheets is less than if the baby sleeps in a bigger bed and the nappy leaks!

Alon28
Level 3
Israel

Thanks Gillian - good point about diaper leaks 🙂 Our place is pretty small, so every nook and cranny is carefully designed to be used efficiently. Leaving the cot (and possibly high chair) in the apartment when it’s not needed would be tricky, so part of the reason for the extra charge is about having the transport these items in and out of the apartment (we don’t live next to the place we host in, and there’s no attached parking so it’s a bit of hassle)

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Alon28

we have the same problem and I was asking myself the same question. We tried to offer a baby cot and bedding for extra price and all guests refused and said the baby will sleep with them in their bed. Oh no... 😞

So our choices are :

1. - to allow them to put a baby in regular bed and then to wash mattrass protector and duvets (and sometimes mattrass too) if their diaper leaks or they pee in bed (they always did)

2. - to spend at least an hour to bring , assemble and disassemble the cot / mattrass / baby beddings / high chair / plastic dishes etc... and to make sure our unit is child proof  - all for the same price of 10 € like for any other grown up guest (or even better for free ???)

3. - not to host infants and children

After few experiments we found out that our units are not child proof and we don't have enough space for a stroller, a cot or baby bed so we don't host babies and children any more.

Thanks for the insights @Branka-and-Silvia0 !

We just had a couple with an infant - when they booked I said we don't have a baby cot to offer, but they still booked the place and no damage was caused (they also didn't write a review, which is a first for us -- I'm still hopeful they will end up writing one! 🙂 ).

I figure a couple traveling with an infant will prefer a place with a cot over a place without one - just trying to figure out if the extra hassle would be worth it or not.

Buying a decent looking foldable baby cot would be around $250 over here (don't ask, local prices are ridicluous). 

May I ask how much you tried to charge for it when you were still experimenting with it?

@Alon28

we always charged children and infants 10 € / day like all extra guests.

We tried to charge another 10€ per stay (not per day!) for the cot but nobody wants to pay. So 10 € was to much for more then 1 hour of my work and time to assemble / dissasemble, carry the cot from/to the storage, to unpack/pack baby mattrass, bedding and stuff from/to the top of the high closet etc...

My opinion is - if you don't have enough space in your unit to keep the baby cot / bed and the high chair in it all the time then it is noth worth it. You will not be paid for all the extra work you have to put in every single time.

And also - you may get a bad review if you say your unit is suitable for kids, and you charge for it and don't provide other stuff for them like high chair, toys, plastic dishes etc..

Karen1114
Level 2
Portrush, United Kingdom

I have travel cots and high chairs and find that most parents want to bring their own bedding, babies are sensitive to smell and touch and usually feel happier with something familiar so often they prefer their own. Also, I don't charge as I find it helps me keep my place cleaner. If there is indeed a nappy/diaper leak, I'd rather change a cot mattress than the real deal. It's more or less included in the overall rate, sometimes I have an easy guest with no extra requirements at all and sometimes you have a family with young kids who need loads of work and special attention. It just balances out in the end for me. 

Also, I keep bibs, special baby plates, baby toys (diswasher every time they're used!) and some other children's stuff. Imagine you're travelling with an infant and have to carry it all with you! I love being able to provide it all to my guests and my guests have clearly expressed their appreciation for it. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Like @Karen1114  I provided it all from bouncy chairs to baby monitors. I do not let the babies under 2 stay for free anymore. I charge as a regular guest when the count with infants is over 8 guests. I had people requesting up tp 3 infants for free and wanting cribs, highchairs, booster seats etc. for each one. On average it's usually 2 with family groups of 10-12. 

Alon28
Level 3
Israel

Thank you @Letti0 and @Karen1114 -- definiltey gave me something to think about!

I can see how it's better to either provide full baby amenities, or just provide none. Right now, we pretty much don't have any, so I'm re-thinking this whole thing.

I did offer one guest a one time payment to setup a crib -- I'll see what they reply, and decide from there. Since my place is *not* listed as baby-proof on AirBNB, most of our guests are adults anyway (couples or families with grown up children).

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Alon28,

Babies are always a separate chapter in the STR book.

Pro:

• Allowing babies will attract certain guests
  • Parents to infants tend to take better care of the property, as they are that much busy with the infant

Con:

• Airbnb dictates infants can stay for free?
  • A host will need all sort of additional amenities
  • Babies tend to consume more utilities and produce more waste/laundry
  • More labor intensive to the host (preparing the cot and that sort of things)
  • As parents tend to stay more at the property, there is usually more wear and tear

So at the end of the day, it is a tradeoff. And it really depends on the situation of each host individually, whether allowing babies will or will not work for them.

We’ve chosen to allow them. Only some 15%-20% of our guests do bring an infant.

On top of that, we also have special safety measures in place for small children (another tradeoff).

But those that bring an infant will typically be a group of young parents with 1 infant. And they will typically book in low-season! Which is a big advantage to us (higher occupancy in a seasonal market).

Personally, I prefer infants over 3 to 6 year olds too (lots of spoils, messy, breakages and hands on the walls).

Getting guests to change the composure of the group on the booking. Because the host wants to charge for the infant. Can really be a challenge: “Dear guest, Thank you for correctly entering your group details. Can you now change the reservation. So I can charge you more?”

@Letti0 : What are your experiences on this?

How do you get the guests to accept this request (without moaning)?

We host maximum 5. But when Quinto-mum comes along with her friends and their offspring?

Then we can end up with as much as 5 adults/kids and 5 infants?

We charge a small amount extra per person after the fourth guest (but according to Airbnb, the infants do not count).

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Cor3  Some do moan, but then I don't want them as guests. I have cribs, highchairs, booster seats, monitors, bouncy chairs, bassinets, toys. etc, I literally have well over $1,000+ per house on baby items. I have have two full homes. They don't want to pay the extra $20 per infant I just don't care anymore. They can stay elsewhere and see what they end up with. More times than not they come back to me and book because no one else has the amenities I do for infants that they don't want to carry around on a vacation or on a flight.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Letti0,

From your postings here in the community, I know you are/can be pretty firm. Very good! 🙂

So, I can see where you stand here.

When guests moan, does this sometimes not lead to any form of retaliation in the review (mark down on value or something)?

We too did spend something like up to close € 1.000 on baby/child amenities and safety measures.

Fortunately, we do not lose out much on these type of occasions. It may have happened only twice with us in the past.

Having said that though, we basically need every dime too. As the authorities are constantly adding more pressure on rules and taxes (Next year: Tourist tax. So another burden, when Airbnb is not yet dealing with this on our behalf. But then again the same applies to our competition, of course).

And then there is obviously price-pressure, due to the competition. We are a remote host, meaning our cost-base is generally higher than for our competitors.

@Cor3  said: When guests moan, does this sometimes not lead to any form of retaliation in the review (mark down on value or something)?

No i have not had an issue with this. How many places will they find that give them 2 or 3 pack n play cribs, highchairs, baby baths, monitors, toys for the babies and tottlers, a playset for the tottlers which alone was well over $1,000+, etc. I cater to children especially young ones. I will get 2-3 couples easily with 1 to 3 babies and/or small children each. As a rule the parents are so grateful for the convenience and entertainment factor that I get great reviews when all is said and done. 

Alon28
Level 3
Israel

Excellent insights @Cor3 and @Letti0 

We've made sure to fully describe everything our apartment does - and does not - offer. I just confirmed a booking for a couple with an infant, and they were happy to pay an extra $50 to have a baby cot available for the duration of their stay. For me it covers the hassle of setting it up, and for them it fels like a reasonable price for the added comfort of having a crib for their infant.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

CONSIDERATIONS for adding infant amenities?

This is no small process, it’s all or nothing... and state the fact! 

I live in Northern Australia where 98.5% of my guests fly in ✈️✈️ either interstate or internationally.

My niche market is “Family friendly” so that goes without saying > by default> baby/infant friendly. I make it well known that I can only fit four adults and only one infant. Children and adults can make up that four maximum. Unlike @Letti0 and  Cor ( unable to tag)https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/141122

my space really tends to attract a singular family or couples and an infant. No extended groups due to my capacity advertising 4. I can fit a third child, but don’t advertise this... Otherwise the space would be too crowded, then a bad review will undoubtably follow......

Sadly, I do offer all amenities with no extra charge. But my pricing is et for the space, not by the number of people. (But I can also store the items out of sight elsewhere on the property.)

👁🗣🗣🗣 Airbnb should allow the option for a reduced charge for an infant, when amenities are being provided,  as the setting up is time consuming, as is the set down and removal. 🗣🗣🗣👁

☝️ - YES it takes more time to set up for an infant, then just splitting the king bed ensemble to singles for older kids; by moving furniture around to fit the baby furniture in. Moving fragile items etc. There is the cot/crib, change table, shower chair, soft books, soft toys, baby monitor, (washing down the high chair and the playpen... etc )

I also provide a BIG child’s plastic mat for the floor, foam mat for under the playpen (when outside) some toys and children’s plastic food utensils and bowls. Plus extra old towels for baby change table etc, more bin liners for disposable nappy waste > separate from the standard items. And combination towels for each person on site.

🙀🤢🤮🤕🤧😷🤒✈️ I also ALWAYS leave a cot spare sheet and mattress protector set for the portable cot, in case they are needed during the middle of the night, from an emergency......  for the last thing a tired parent needs with a sick or unsettled baby is to not be able to change the cot bedding, then they place the infant with them. Spew again! 

- It also takes more time to pack away all this gear, and at least one other load with the extra “little” bed linen, plus cot quilt and blanket to wash.

🙌🏼 If you plan to become infant friendly - putting in a hi chair and a crib in your amenities, then a playpen is a must. The more restrained the baby, if crawling, the less finger marks and sticky spots on curtains etc. Helps to stop things being pulled down off shelves or grabbed from a crawling toddler. I have power outlet covers, but do not put locks on all drawers. I do have a child latch on the bathroom low cabinet and the stove/oven door. But that’s  it.

🙌🏼✈️  Most people travel with their own pram or stroller, but I have a spare basic one with a stroller fan attached for the heat. I keep a stroller fan in the homestay for use with families. In Australia, child seats are also required in a car🚗🚗,  but these can be hired from the rental company.

I always have in situation, night light/sensors as the space is unknown terrain to guests; but I provide an extra night light for the cot or an infant.🌠

🎲🎲🎲 CONS: Historically, not having these items has in the past:

Left my big beds “covered” in all body fluids from breastfeeding mums, and newborn babies, etc.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

🚼 🆘 💡Always ensure there are laundry facilities and products available for an emergency cleanup.

✍🏼 If you don’t have infant amenities, INVEST in a good “waterproof” mattress protector that you can place “under” the standard, comfort padded mattress protector. I use this system with both (2) layers of protection on ALL BEDS and the varying formations. Waterproof + comfort protectors (2) before sheeting and coverlets EVERYTIME!

👉🏼 For mattress protection, make sure you have a spare set of protectors you can use/ or the guest can use in an emergency.

When you see the work required, to fully provide, then Airbnb should be listening to hosts  and considering options for recompense. I would not charge too much, maybe Australian $20 across a stay.