How do you see the future of hosting in private homes?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you see the future of hosting in private homes?

Quincy_0-1613651612238.png

Hello everyone, 

With short-term rentals momentarily on hold in several places due to the situation surrounding COVID, we've seen hosts across the globe offering more long term rentals.  

I've heard of some hosts trying to plan ahead for the future of hosting in their homes which can be quite uncertain at these times. However, let's keep our heads up and look forward to the future where we can (hopefully) continue hosting guests from all around the world again. 

How do you see the future of hosting in private homes? Is there anything that you have been specifically preparing for once things start to open up again? 

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. 

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

49 Replies 49
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Dale711 

I think France sounds like quite different from the UK as we have been in lockdown/tier restrictions for most of the last year and we're not allowed to host guests in shared accommodation because of the transmission risk.

Our offices aren't open and our students are learning virtually. 

It also sounds like there's a different culture in Paris as in London and other major cities people regularly commute long distances from the suburbs rather than stay in the city centre.

@Dale711  Multiple properties containing dormitory shared rooms, private rooms, and communal spaces for multiple parties of guests? That is what I would call a hostel chain, not a "private home hosting" situation.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Quincy  My specifically preparing is processing and pass a Homestay license ( a short term license for home shares ) and we are lucky to pass that ontime and can join the government help promotion for domestic travel ( guest pay 60% and government support 40% ).

From my own experienced last year, Domestic guests in my country start to look for a small accommodation like a home rent or luxury camping. A lot of my guests, this is a first time they travel and didn’t stay in hotal.

My house is 3 private rooms ( 2 listings). The question guests often ask is how many other guests they may face during their stay. So I think this question will continue as long as the covid situation still and host with more than one private room will have to find a balance solution. For me, I managed space to have a private entrances, guest can still see me but keep a distance and I also block another listing when I got booked. I found that It more comfortable to all.

@Quincy 

With the risk of covid-19 and need for social distancing, hosting a single occupancy private room in our main residence where we have shared spaces (entrance, kitchen, living room) is not something we feel can be done safely right now. Some people may be able to make changes to add a kitchenette or limit guest use of shared spaces but unfortunately our 64sqm. apartment doesn't have the space for that.

Henry and I discussed it and we think eventually we will host again, if or when international travel goes back to the way it used to be. We've always only hosted international guests (because in Korea, hosting locals is illegal) so once travel restrictions are gone we will probably ease back into hosting. Until then......we can continue to slack off a bit on cleaning and keeping the kitchen and living room tidy 😄 

@Jessica-and-Henry0,  I hope you will be back to hosting sooner than later, Im scheduled to get my first shot this Thursday, (I hate needles but will take this one happily).  The infection and  mortality Numbers here in the US are getting remarkably better on a weekly basis even as winter indoor communicable  spread should be at its max right now and there isnt even flu spread.   Doctors are now saying masks, social distancing and inoculations only account for a small part of the improvement, herd immunity may very well be closer to being reached than the PHD's and MD's imagined.  If thats the case, the worst may have already been and we will soon see each other as our maker has imagined we should be seen,  Smiling faces!!!!!!  Stay well, JR

Fred40
Level 2
Beaverton, OR

I’m surprised that I made as much moneys this year as last. 
I’ve gone away for long term and enjoying the weekender. Don’t discount and their so busy trying to get as much done in a shorter period of time. Even had a few local people who been working at home need a break and relax at my space for 2 days.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

We are going to hit herd immunity soon. Then lots of travelers.

@Pete69, it looks like what your saying will happen sooner than anyone ever thought possible, the numbers don't lie, only politicians lie (You know when they are lying, cause their lips are moving!!!).  Bad news is big money for both media outlets and politicians!, Its bothersome to me that neither don't seem to want to report these details as positive and game changing.  The Virus will be gone long before the stigma of it will leave, Covidians will be trying to keep us in bubbles for a decade for what might happen, not what is likely.   Stay well, JR

Yes! Great article in the WSJ "We'll have herd immunity by April". According to the CDC there's 6 to 8 times more (than the 28.836 million officially reported) people who have had COVID-19. And so far 44.1 million have received at least 1 vaccine dose. So currently, in a lowest case scenario, that's 217 million people. At most, that's 274 million. That translates to 66% to 83.5% of the US population. Fauci says that the herd immunity threshold is between 70% and 90% -- and he exaggerates. Bottom line, by April, this virus is going to die out. 

The most absurd thing is telling people to wear masks AFTER they have been vaccinated or AFTER they've had COVID. And don't even get me started on how even the CDC admits that masks don't work and how the WHO says that asymptomatic spread (the justification for wearing masks) is rare.

@Pete69  So here we are at the beginning of June, and no, there isn't "herd immunity", nor has the virus "died out". 

You may want to stop getting your "information" from sites that don't pass the fact check test.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Sarah977Hey Sarah, hope you're keeping OK.
A side note: have you heard about Iv*rm*ctin (-v- coronavirus)? If so, what are your thoughts? I've been following various medics/scientists, who seem trustworthy. Apparently Mexico City carried out an effective "test & treat" programme using IVM.. amongst many other places...
It's doing my head in, the "deafening silence" in our country (UK), about this apparently safe, effective and cheap drug... grrr... Why Aren't We Using It Here?! The death rate in the UK has been appalling 😠

Patricia55
Level 10

@Sarah977Hmm, interesting, I couldn't send my msg at first, then I put two asterisks in in Iv*rm*ctin word, and it got sent... wtf?

@Patricia55  I haven't been keeping up on the info about that drug, but I am aware of it. I actually first heard about testing of it in regards to Covid here, in a post by Aussie Robin.

I was thinking it would be a good thing to keep around, in case of contracting Covid. But I wouldn't know how much to take.

I'm also wondering about the deafening silence re this and some other herbal antivirals and medications. To some extent, the anti-vaxxers (most of whom seem quite off the wall) are right in that the vaccines are being pushed while it seems information about some quite inexpensive medications that could cause an infection to stay mild, is being suppressed. 

That's not surprising, considering the way big pharma operates. 

There have been people who were quite successful treating patients for cancer who had  debunking campaigns directed against them and had to move their operations out of the US, despite hundreds of cancer patients who were written off as terminal, having their cancer cured. 

There is an Italian doctor who is convinced that cancer is candida gone wild. Because candida thrives in an acidic environment, he was pumping a simple baking soda solution directly to the areas of his patents' cancers , with a high success rate. He was vilified by the Italian medical establishment. 

He said that if big pharma wants to create the equivalent of a cheap baking soda solution and charge an arm and a leg for it, that's fine- all he is interested in is trying to save his patients' lives.

Patricia55
Level 10

@Sarah977 

Ah, agreed, you hit the nail on the head as always!

I recently came across Dr John Campbell's videos – a thoroughly decent man who knows his way around the scientific papers like nobody's business and translates them into layman's terms, for the benefit of all. Here's a recent one from two days ago, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJSUKDng_Ww&t=6s which I'd encourage you to watch (covers Mexico City etc)... I now watch his daily videos almost addictively... If you don't want to click the link, you could search on “Dr John Campbell” and “Iv*rm*ctin” obv, without the asterisks 😉

We're fully vaccinated now, but would still like to have a stash of IVM, just in case.💪

There's a fair few other medics/scientists (I could send you links) who are outspoken about this (cheap) drug, who are clearly much more concerned about saving people's lives, than about making money... and, as you say, one worries about them being rubbished by the medical establishment...

There are people saying that the undermining/withholding of IVM as a prophylactic/treatment is verging on a crime against humanity 😬

Yes, we are at herd immunity in the USA. Worldometers dot info if Airbnb doesn't keep deleting my posts. You can see that the curve has flattened. At least 70% of Americans have immunity either through natural immunity or from the vaccine. Experts said between 60 and 70% to achieve herd immunity.