How do you stop local government from over-regulating short term rentals?

How do you stop local government from over-regulating short term rentals?

Our local government held a meeting yesterday to discuss "crafting regulations for short-term rentals..." (I guess 13% tax revenue just isn't enough for them).  This was not well advertised, I only heard about it retroactively on the news this morning. 

I was particularly taken aback with the comments regarding "...permitting requirements, fire and guest safety, and possible impacts to quality of life such as parking, trash and noise."  We offer a lovely vintage home.  Our home is maintained much more nicely than most of the rentals in the neighborhood and we have exceptionally pleasant and polite guests.  We chose the AirBnB option because we were tired of how disrespectfully long term renters treated our home!  With AirBnB, we are able to maintain the home meticulously.

This is a slippery slope.  When governments start imposing regulations, it will inevitably impact all of our ability to offer homes in this manner and will certainly force us to raise costs.  Please pay attention and get involved.  The county is holding a second open meeting next week and I plan on attending.

Please share any additional information you have on fighting this type of regulation in this forum.  I would really like to hear any stories from hosts or AirBnB representation on successful interventions.

If you are in Washoe County, please attend the next meeting with me so our voice is heard ( https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/washoe-county-hosting-meetings-on-short-term-rentals/)!  We are not a detriment to our neighborhoods...  Exactly the opposite!  My experience is we take much more pride in the homes we offer than the average landlord.  If you would like to get together prior to the county meeting to discuss strategy, please reach out to me directly.  I know this is short notice, but I'm sure the County planned it that way...

18 Replies 18
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Craig-And-Christina0 There are a few things that I think are key in keeping government out of the business of short-term letting hosts.

1) Follow existing rules, and ensure your guests are doing the same. Need a permit? Get one. If there are quiet hours in your neighbourhood, respect them and ensure guests are doing the same. Same with parking rules, and any other rules that apply to your neighbourhood or strata. Don't give anyone anything to complain about. Don't give your neighbours anything to complain about especially: they can make your life difficult.

2) Get involved locally. Join hosting groups, or if that's not available, join your local tourism association. We are the first and only Airbnb members of ours, and we worked to keep a member of the hotel lobby off of the board.

3) Get involved politically. Go to council meetings, especially if they are discussing zoning or tourism issues.

Those have been my techniques, and so far, so good here!

@Alexandra316 ... The sad thing about this is, as a short term rental...our home is better maintained than the long term rentals.  The long term rentals in the neighborhood are trashier, have too many residents (five or six adults in a small 2 bedroom) and introduce the parking issues that go along with that (five and six trashy cars on the street).  We love the home that has been in the family for 80 years (or we would have just sold it, we're not making a lot of money with AirBnB) and are very choosy about the type of guests we welcome.  Our reviews reflect that.  There's not anything we could do to be more compliant with the neighborhood.

Get involved...  I will!!!  I have already started reaching out to our local news affiliates hoping to engage them in positive news stories and inviting them to visit our home, read our reviews, talk to us, etc.  And in posting this in the AirBnB community...I am hoping to engage other hosts that will be effected.  I've searched in the past for a local hosts group, and have not found one...so I hope this will reach them and we can join together to fight this.

@Craig-And-Christina0 Same with us: we are very careful about our guests. Unfortunately, other hosts who just don't care damage the platform as a whole by not respecting the rules or just being disrespectful of their neighbours and community. I live in a community with very few rental properties, so any rental kind of stands out anyways.

Sounds like you have a good strategy in place!

Washoe County Hosts -- I just found this link.  Please take the time to complete the survey!  https://survey.sogosurvey.com/survey.aspx?k=RQsYTVXVsXTsPsPsP&lang=0&data=

@Craig-And-Christina0  It's a different debate in every locality, but if this is an issue you're going to fight I think it's important to understand the issues that others in your community might be seeking to mitigate with regulation. The hotel industry has most of the lobbying money behind anti-STR activism, but they're far from the only opponents of Airbnb rentals.

One pervasive concern is that in an unregulated market - especially in a high-tourism area - the supply of available affordable housing will be depleted in districts that are more desirable to tourists. Those districts tend to be ones with a higher density of jobs,  goods and services, and public transport  - the very things that are essential to social mobility for low-income households. 

I'll tell you right now - if you make your case by referring to the homes and vehicles of long-term residents in your community as "trashy" while emphasizing your belief that your home is intrinsically superior due to all the extra maintenance your higher revenue affords you, you are going to come across as a stock villain: classist, arrogant, and more interested in your own profits than the well-being of the more vulnerable people in your community. Not only does your language here make you look bad, but it reflects poorly on the entire hosting community  - many of whom are exactly the kind of people that it seems you look down upon.

@Anonymous ...  Knowing our community is important in making judgments.  We are a federal Opportunity Zone and under revitalization.  You would need to understand the U.S. tax laws around this funding to fully appreciate the activity in our area, but it does include requirements for affordable housing and additional tax credits to support that.  The actual neighborhood our home is in is generational.  Our home was built by my father-in-law for his bride in 1940 and five of the surrounding homes are also still owned by his siblings' heirs.  We have people relocating to our city and buying in this neighborhood because it is still affordable.  They love the heritage and the architecture, they are not tearing down but renovating.

I find it interesting that you quote me as saying that long-term residents are trashy, which I did not.  I did say that many long-term rentals properties have not been maintained by their landlords and are trashy, which I will defend with evidence.  I have gone through the neighborhood taking pictures.  I am not elitist and arrogant...  I have pictures of homes with "for rent" signs in front that literally have peeling paint, weeds that are hip high and cars with flat tires and so much dirt and dust on the windshield they could not have been driven in months.  I am not making unfair judgments and I believe it is admirable to have pride in how you maintain your property.  I also feel this is the responsibility of the landlord, not the tenant, is shameful behavior and an embarrassment to our community.  Even when we had long term tenants, we never allowed the home or yards to deteriorate.

You make another statement which I find interesting, which is the assumption that we make higher revenue on our AirBnB.  That is not the case.  We average $1,750 a month throughout the year...where we could get $1,900 a month for a long term resident.  Additionally, we absorb the cost of utilities and amenities and between us spend 5.5 hours between each guest to ensure the home and outdoors are clean and presentable (which we would not have to do with a renter and can not write off our own labor in our tax returns).   We have chosen to make less money because, as I said, our experience with our guests is that they treat this home much more respectfully than renters did.  There seems to be a belief that we are rolling in dough because our AirBnB is successful, which is humorous to me.  We enjoy what we are doing and go the extra mile to ensure our guests leave with a positive image of our community....but we have decreased and not increased our personal revenue.

@Craig-And-Christina0  I don't doubt that you are sincere in all you say  here - please note, what I was speaking to above was how your verbiage sounded. And yes, the moment you use the word "trashy" in any context, you can forget about any nuances in your argument being absorbed.

Another thing that tends to defeat the cause of pro-Airbnb activists is the appearance of individualistic, knee-jerk libertarianism: "Government regulation is always bad when it gets in the way of me doing things the way I want to."  It's not an uncommon sentiment in America by any means - arguably to the detriment of the entire planet - but I still find it hard to imagine winning over anyone's sympathies by portraying yourself as a victim here.

The winning arguments that would work in your favor are not strictly anti-regulation. The most successful parties on this topic tend to support regulation that offers a stable status and legitimacy to registered proprietors while establishing rules that are reasonably scalable to individual housing units, and restrictions that account for the broader housing and land-usage needs of the community.

@Anonymous   Embracing 'sensible' regulation will end up being death by a thousand cuts...permits, taxes, fees, inspections.  I don't know that it should really be construed as 'libertarian' to feel that a short term rental should not entail more regulations than a long term rental.  There are already parking and noise ordinances in most places that predate airbnb by many decades.   But, then I also don't believe that STR have anything but a small marginal effect on affordable housing availability.  The majority of airbnbs, especially in urban areas, are middle high to high end.  If those units hit the market for long term renters, they're not going to be 'affordable' for low income people, this is a strange misconception that has taken hold.  

@Mark116 ... The issue here has nothing to do with affordable housing.  In the past year a single developer has razed six "weekly" hotels (you know the type I'm talking about without sounding elitist?) within one mile on a single street (the lots are empty now).  No one is screaming about that, my one little house that would rent for nearly $2,000/month doesn't make a dent in low income housing.  We have new developments opening (another one yesterday) targeted to that market space...thus the benefit of Opportunity Zones and revitalization.  P.S.  I'm certainly not a Libertarian or anti-government! 🤣  I think people outside the U.S. have a strange perception of Americans these days.

@Anonymous ... I have nothing against government and regulation as you imply.  Our community has many laws, regulations and ordinances that govern residents and landlords.  These regulations include the allowable number of residents, vehicles, noise and trash.  Possibly these types of laws do not already exist in your community.   I strictly comply with them and as appropriate reinforce them verbatim in our listing under rules.  The only necessity is that current laws are enforced for all landlords, whether short term or long term.  I fully supported the initiative of a 13% tax to our local government to ensure funds are available for enforcement with short term rentals.

@Anonymous ... Our problem here is geographical.  We live in a very large county of 6,500 square miles with a population of less than 550,000 (in comparison, Los Angeles county is 4,750 square miles with a population of 10.6 million).  A small corner of our county is located in a beautiful resort community 45 minutes away (Lake Tahoe)...which happens to be divided by two separate states and further divided by five counties within the two states...can you imagine?  The real problem resides in that community where very large homes are rented by very large parties who are there to enjoy themselves in outdoor activities, for weddings, family reunions, etc.  I actually empathize with the residents of that community, though it is not new to AirBnB or VRBO.  These problems existed and were griped about when I was a kid (and that was a very very long time ago), rentals were just acquired through different methods (word of mouth, newspaper ads, posting on bulletin boards, and real estate agents).  An acquaintance told me recently of a wedding he attended at the Lake, they had 18 people in one home.  That is outrageous and I'm sure an irritant to the neighborhood.   But that is not happening in our city.

We are getting the blow back from that activity...  The issue is that anything enacted by Washoe County addresses only a fraction of the issue (not even an equal 1/5th) and is only a knee jerk reaction to make short term rentals prohibitive and exclusionary.  We do need to make our voices heard.  Illustrate our value to the community (in addition to the tax dollars and well maintained properties, I put a lot of effort into a guidebook and communication with my guests directing them to excellent locally owned and operated businesses).  The cities need to police their own residents and not let the country try to be all encompassing.  Put those tax dollars to use where they were targeted for, enforcement.

Jp8
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Here in Joshua Tree the County is gearing up to require permits along with a fair amount of red tape. We're luckier than Palm Springs where they just up and banned BnBs. 

I've drafted an op-ed about it that I may send to local newspapers.

Here it is. Any comments anyone?

Understanding BNB's in Joshua Tree -

Will the proposed ordinance work?

Tourism in Joshua Tree has exploded in the last five years, with a doubling in annual visitors to the National Park from 1.5 million to nearly 3 million.

At over 400 times the village population of 7,400 at last count, 3 million guests is a huge number to accommodate. There would be nowhere for them to stay without the hundreds of BNB's that have mushroomed overnight. One could even say that the recent soaring of tourism and trending of Joshua Tree itself were directly fueled by the BNB phenomenon.

Some say that BNB's are the best thing that ever happened to the Joshua Tree economy -- if one could even consider the depressed state here ten years ago as an economy at all. Like all blessings, this one is mixed, as are the reactions to it. BNB's are blamed for noise, rude tourists, rising rents and a housing shortage.

The complaints boil down to two main issues: noise and rents. Opposing voices outnumber more optimistic comments like this one on Nextdoor: "Airbnb has been a blessing to JT. So many blighted properties fixed. So much $$ pumped into the economy. Much better quality of humans around now too."

The County has set itself the task of drafting an ordinance to address the complaints. The existing draft focuses on restrictions to curb abuses, but without regard for the economic dimension. This is a flawed approach. Problems like noise occur in a minority of cases, and are not unique to this type of housing.

Rather than imposing detailed restrictions on the entire BNB community, the County can employ two powerful tools to resolve problems as they arise: the ability to cancel permits, and the vacation rental complaint line.

Some of the restrictions proposed have been contradictory. For instance, it has been proposed that no more than one unit should be allowed per parcel, that the owner must live on the property, and that renting out a portion of a home should not be allowed. Owners would only be able to rent out the place to themselves…

Complexity and clarity are not friends. Authorities seem to be flailing about, trying too many new rules to solve "the problem" and mollify disgruntled residents.

The current draft includes many provisions that will aggravate rather than mitigate the impact on housing availability. The ordinance works on the micro NIMBY level, to reduce the impact of BNBs on neighbors, by limiting the number of guests, or number of units per parcel. But the real problem is where to house 3 million guests in a small village, without using up all the real estate. Limitations like this mean more, not fewer properties will be needed to absorb the influx of tourists! Banning absentee landlords may sound wonderful – but keeping them in town means they'll need to occupy more scarce housing.

Setting limits on the number of guests according to the size of the parcel does make sense -- if the real plan is to transition Joshua Tree into a more upscale community, rather than a low-rent, cheap vacation location. It's hard to have it both ways.

So does the draft ordinance effectively address the problems raised by residents? Those who complained about rising rents will find that the new rules backfire on them. And the noise issue would be more effectively addressed directly, by a strict noise restriction ordinance and complaint hotline. It so happens that my own home is surrounded by noisy neighbors, with barking dogs and so on. They are all homeowners, and there is not a thing we can do about it.  

It is a mistake to act as if all noise and rental cost problems are due to BNBs, and to try to solve them by cracking down on them. Affordable rentals are a nationwide problem. Home prices have been soaring all over the state of California, and prices in Joshua Tree shot up to today's levels during the 2006 price bubble, too, when BNBs were unheard of.

Such detailed restrictions could just as well be curtailed or scrapped. Just start issuing permits for now -- and taking them away from the few bad apples out there. That will bring owners into line like nothing else. It will make it clearer what rules are really needed.

Fixing only what's broken is the way to optimize the two main, but conflicting demands of residents: to cut down on abuses, and to minimize the impact on housing. It won't optimize anything to make all owners suffer alike for the abuses of a few.

With permits, at least the County can start collecting funds. This may cause some marginal short-term rental (STR) operators to drop out of the business by themselves. Being a BNB host is not as lucrative as people imagine. They see a nightly rate of $100 and multiply by 30 and think, how grand, $3000 a month for a house. They don't see that most of the time it's rented only on the weekends, and hardly at all during the long, hot summer. The high vacancies bring you pretty close to the rate for a long-term rental. In many cases homeowners are doing it not to get rich, but to avoid hassles with long-term tenants, sad to say. STR's will not grow at recent rates indefinitely, displacing all residential housing.

The other bad thing about the draft STR ordinance is that it reflects emotions voiced by those hostile to BNBs, which doesn't lead to a balanced policy. There are provisions that seem intent on penalizing or criminalizing BNBs. The requirement to record details of vehicles equates a stay in a BNB to a crime scene. This was dropped, but has been replaced with a Nanny State provision requiring owners to sit down with renters and get their signature on a copy of the regulations, with a notification of penalties. The draft ordinance runs about 30 pages. Who is going to read this? This rule is a non-productive burden of busy work on the County, on homeowners and on vacationers. Keep it simple!

The draft ordinance would prohibit AirBnb bookings made before the permit requirement goes into effect. There is no allowance for a transition period to avoid business interruption while inspections are completed and permits are issued. The county could start asking for permit applications with the quarterly TOT forms over a period of time, for a smoother workload

Restrictions are imposed on BNBs that are not applied to any other type of housing. The ordinance provides that BNBs can not host even one single day guest. Does this exist in anywhere else, outside of the prison system? Would you tell your kids they can't have a friend over, or your friends that you can't invite them for lunch?

Such is the mentality of this ordinance, and to my mind, it needs a fresh start.

* The County should draft a noise ordinance, to get at the actual problem that residents are suffering from most.

* Before issuing any restrictive STR ordinance, they should make it clear to the community that the proposed rules will not ease the housing shortage -- on the contrary.

Joshua Tree is finally coming into its own. Until a few years ago, homes here were going for around $70 a square foot, about one-third of what they cost to build. This made it a refuge from high housing costs -- my family bought our first lot here back in 1960 -- but there was no jobs base. That is changing rapidly, bringing growing pains. It takes time to adjust. Eventually, in large part thanks to the assets of the National Park as well as the vacation rental industry, Joshua Tree can become a bright spot in the economic landscape of San Bernardino County.

Please keep me updated on your progress.  The general indifference that I see from hosts and lack of lobby support from the people making the lion's share of money from short term rentals (AirBnB and VRBO, primarily) is surprising to me.    As you say, no similar restrictions are being imposed on any other type of housing.  We are heading down a slippery slope in my area.  One city is looking for complete bans (https://www.rgj.com/story/money/business/2019/01/14/south-lake-tahoe-airbnb-ban-measure-t-lawsuit/25...)  while the county is looking for "strong rules and regulations and severe penalties" (https://www.nnbusinessview.com/news/washoe-county-eyes-fall-for-release-of-draft-vacation-rental-reg...).  The justification of "parking, garbage and noise" is laughable...as those are already regulated for all homeowners and tenants (yet loosely enforced for LTR and owner-occupied homes).  The accusation of the impact it has on workforce housing affordability and the price of homes is ridiculous...STR is just not that large of a percentage of housing in my community and you certainly can not purchase a quality home and expect to fund it with revenue from STR guests.  But as long as the industry and hosts fail to show up and fight for their rights, these laws will pass.  For us, at that point, we sell the home that has been in our family for 80 years to those people who are actually moving into the area and driving up the price of homes.  And the STR industry becomes a thing of the past.

@Craig-And-Christina0  I think one thing you have to take into account is that these objections to Airbnbs, like noise, increased traffic, bad guests, party thrashers, isn't simply limited to the situation in your community. We live in the age of the internet- neighbors and such may not have experienced any problems whatsoever with your Airbnb, or that of your fellow local hosts. But people read horror stories on the internet about what goes on in Airbnbs (and some bad things DO go on- not all hosts are particularly responsible or concerned about the impact their Airbnb is having on the neighborhood and many times guests have managed to throw a party without the host even being aware until the police have been called) and because many people act on their fears, rather than their actual reality, they just tar all of it with the same brush. 

I think when trying to fight local regulations and dialogue with neighbors, we have to acknowledge that those fears are real, even if the actual situation around them isn't. It can sometimes help people to come around to an idea they at first were opposed to, by giving some legitimacy to their feelings and anxieties that have led them to be opposed.