How does Airbnb Host Referral works?

Tushar6
Level 2
New Delhi, India

How does Airbnb Host Referral works?

Hi, Fellow community members,

This is Tushar, a Superhost from New Delhi, India. I had recently referred a bunch of friends and acquaintances to start hosting on Airbnb and join this wonderful community

Can someone please explain this to me? This essentially means that the first booking should amount to $100 USD for the new host in order for the host who has referred, to qualify for the payment? Doesn't it work like if we generate a revenue of $100 USD, the host who has referred will get the referral amount?

Airbnb T&C:

To qualify for any payouts, the Referred Host’s first received booking must have a value (excluding cleaning fees, taxes, and special offers) of at least $100 USD (or the equivalent in your local currency ). The Referred Host has 150 days from the date they are invited to Complete their first booking in order to earn the Payment.

Also, is this payment to our bank account or travel credits?

Thanks in advance,

Tushar

10 Replies 10
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Tushar6. In order to receive a bonus for referring new hosts, the new hosts have to complete a booking whose value is at least $100 USD (or the equivalent in Indian currency) excluding Airbnb's service fee and taxes, if applicable.  Once the new hosts have had this type of reservation, you will receive a cash bonus as described in your invitation section.  This amount may vary from country to country.  In the US it is a $100 bonus.  The new host has 150 to host a qualifying reservation. 

You can see the status of your invitations through this link: 

www.airbnb.com/invite

I hope this helps!

Clare

Hi @Clare0,

Thanks for the information. I wanted to double-confirm the fact- A host is only eligible for payout if the booking amount is $100 irrespective of other costs. Essentially, it should have been when the total revenue reaches $100 over the course. But, I guess they have put this in place for fake accounts and safeguarding themselves.

In my region, the average tariff for a single room starts from $20-30 for a night, Hence, it would be difficult for me to get the payout in spite of referring 3-4 host and them starting on their Airbnb hosting journey.

Although, that would not stop me from recruiting more host and helping them open doors to more travellers from across the globe.

Best,
Tushar

@Tushar6. Yes, a qualifying reservation for the new host would be a reservation where the cost is at least $100 USD before cleaning fees, Airbnb service fees and taxes, if any.  

In many areas this is difficult to achieve due to lower rates and I believe someone else in this forum has mentioned this.  In your area, it would require a stay of 5 nights or more based on the average nightly rate charged in your area. 

I would recommend that you provide feedback to Airbnb on this situation.  Perhaps in India, which is a very large country, could have a different set of rules where the amount needed for a qualifying reservation is less with maybe a lower bonus paid to the referring host. 

You can make your suggestion through this link: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Best, 

Clare

Thank you @Clare0  !

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

By the way @Tushar6, here is a link to the complete Terms of Service for host referrals: 

https://www.airbnb.com/refer/terms_and_conditions

Thanks, @Clare0, I had a word with Airbnb and they had confirmed the same, Just felt like too hard to be true so thought of asking the community. I have provided the feedback as well.

Thanks for the help 🙂 

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Tushar6 Also, the guest you recruited cannot have their first trip hosted by you, the host that recruited them to Airbnb. I had a couple of guest that I recruited from an ad I placed in the local paper. These guest were not members of Airbnb and it offered a discount on their first stay,so it was like a coupon almost. I was advised that any new Airbnb member I recruited, I could not get the referral bonus if they stayed with me. Sort of a let down, so I haven’t been recruiting lately. 

Pherk0
Level 1
The Hague, Netherlands

A bit late to the conversation, but have your host record his/her screen that they are using your link. Referred a friend, she hosted already three guests. No referral bonus, nothing. First and last time I'm going to put so much effort in referring someone. 🙂 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Question: How does Airbnb Host Referral work? 

Answer: Like every other pyramid scheme out there. 

Linda153
Level 2
Faro District, Portugal

So is it just a Pyramid scheme? or does in fact work???