How does your garden grow?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

How does your garden grow?

Well we have made it! We are coming to the end of a long dry summer and we have not had 10mm (.25 of an inch) of rain for the entire year to this point!  But by some miracle we have managed to keep the garden alive, but only just. All the flowers have gone…the rose garden is just a series of sticks with the odd leaf here and there. There are just a few ‘blue collar’ plants like Geranium’s and Salvia’s hanging on, but the garden looks at its worst for the year about now. Over the next few weeks we will be into Autumn and all the trees and vines will be a mass of colour from deep red through to vivid yellow....

Collage16 b.jpg

This is a stitched photo from our back verandah. The hosting cottage is off to the right. To the left is the outdoor eating and the barbeque and way down the back is my Man Cave! This room is my sanctuary. It is here that I have been able to get away from Ade for an hour or two, although I am now missing that....Careful what you wish for in life!

DSCN0045 b.jpg

IMG20170508143202 b.jpg

IMG20170508134545 b.jpg

Yes, I know it's messy but it's a man cave, it's supposed to be.

So, now you can see where all this 'Bleep' comes from! 

Cheers.....Rob

17 Replies 17
MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

@Robin4 Your garden is looking lovely!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Something like this I am afraid 🙂

P1000627.JPG

and here is early summer delights

P1020301.JPG

Robin, your garden is lovely! Brilliant on so little water. We had so much snow a couple of weeks ago that even the Irish were surprised, so imagine what aussie i thought. My dog Curly thought it was wonderful for the first day, but on the second day i opened the door to let him do his business outside and he just looked at me as if "you got to be kidding lady!". My garden has suffered, agapanthus looking sad and wilted, so i have been cutting back everything and crossing my fingers. It all comes to life in spring and summer, it has taken a while to get used to gardening in this hemisphere where we have quite a bit of rain. I will send some your way!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What a lovely topic @Robin4. 🙂 You do have a great garden. How do you manage to keep everything so green in such warm weather. I have to say my favourite season is Autumn, the colours, temperature and the smells are just really nice. I don't know if it is just because of September/October being the start of a new school year, but even now I always find Autumn here in the UK fills me with a sense of optimism. Perhaps it's just me! 

Here in the UK, in between the cold/snowy patches we keep on having at the moment the daffodils, tulips and crocuses are beginning to pop up. We are now officially in Spring, but it is still quite cold for us, so I feel sorry for the trees and plants at the moment. We are not as use to the snow as you @Marit-Anne0. Your view looks incredible. You must love looking out of your window every morning. When will the snow begin to decrease for you Marit Anne?

Aww and the Man Cave, I do have fond memories of you and @Bruce43 talking about this last year. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Actually @Lizzie that photo was taken in late May some years ago, luckily not so bad every year.  I enjoy very much watching the birds in spring/early summer - we have an oystercatcher and chicks in the garden, and the eiderducks and the mallards and other ducks and terns around the shore, golden plover, whimbrel, curlew on the fields and the screeching gulls just about everywhere.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds wonderful @Marit-Anne0, a real little wildlife haven. I bet they find lots of yummy things for them to eat around the water's edge. 

After we had snow last weekend, we had a really sunny morning and it was so nice to wake up with the sun flooding in and to hear the birds tweeting away. It is one of nice things about moving into a new season. 

Your photos below look wonderful...roll on the warmer days. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Robin4That is a heck of an achievement considering a mere .25 inches of rain in a year.

@Marit-Anne0Does where you live in Norway become very lush during summer?

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Fred13

With the 24 hour daylight it sort of explodes into lush and green.  And it can go from winter to summer in a matter of 24 hours with no spring inbetween.  

Late springLate spring

Early summerEarly summer

My little helper.My little helper.

High summerHigh summerEarly summerEarly summer

How interesting, from one extreme to another in a matter of days. The summers are about 5 months - May to October? You live there year round?

At times I miss the 'North'.

Summers are very short @Fred13 - June, July and August.  Late August and the birches start turning, come September and there is frost at night and first now on the peaks.  

I do not live there year round as I find the Polar Night rather depressive - we spend the winter in France to avoid the winter darkness.

The best of two worlds. 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marit-Anne0

Oh those pictures are lovely. You are so lucky to have that vista of water, and those snow covered peaks in the distance.

Isn't it always the way....we always want what we cannot have!

Not sure about your description of the change of season though Marit! I do like the fact that we have four clearly defined seasons here!

Summer is hot....but it is supposed to be! It can start as early as mid November and last until late March. Right now we are on the cusp, days are still high 20s-low 30s...today was 34c, but nightime will drop down to about 7c and the clouds are gathering in the west...each day we see just a bit less of that wonderful blue sky that you only get in Australia. Researchers say that this is the result of the scent given off by the eucalypt trees. They make shades of blue much more intense.

From here we will have days in the high teens to low twenties....here in the Adelaide Hills the trees all go those fantastic colours of Autumn.....

IMG20170604160328 a.jpg

Front of the house looks a bit un-kept but, we like it that way....keeps guests guessing too because it looks nothing like the listing photos.

DSCN2085z.jpg

Time to pull out the 'woolies' . Come June it will be cold with daytimes temps around 12-16c and there will be rainy days that are so miserable nobody ventures outside.

September everything comes to life again....Marit we have four clearly defined seasons, and I love that!

Cheers......Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I do love these colours @Robin4. The rainy days are good hiberating days I think, where you have coco and watch a nice film. 🙂

We are waiting for our 10+ temperatures to kick in at the moment as we come into Spring. It is funny how much the weather can impact everyone's mood, maybe that's why we like to talk about it so much in the UK (or is that just me!). 

--------------------

That is a seriously impressive tree @Robin4 do I see maple leaves ?

Wanting what we cannot have is what keeps us in business - it is called tourism 🙂