How far in the future do you open your calendar?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

How far in the future do you open your calendar?

Curious.

Last year we opened a year in advance. With COVID cancellations it was a terrible idea because dates were booked and people waffled back and forth on whether they could come/cancelled at the last minute/wanted to rebook at an old rate etc. We are also steadily increasing our nightly rate so this year we are doing 6 months out with the hope of getting to a financial goal at year's end. 

What do you see as a best practice? I have had a few people request dates that are not yet available (and will ultimately cost more per night...)

45 Replies 45

@Debra300  3 months is the shortest automated availability window. I always use "blocked by default" and manually open dates and set prices. It's a bit of extra effort, but I was finding that every time Airbnb changed calendar features, some of my own settings would get automatically removed and unwanted requests would comein, so I felt the need to get in there a couple times a week and make sure  there was no funny business. The frequent edits might have helped in Search too. 

Anuj11
Level 2
Old Bridge, NJ

I agree, opening it up beyond 6 months is counter productive

Mariela30
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

6 months and if adjusting prices for a sale, 3 months or it would take too much time to edit all 6 months. I check what my fellow renters in the same resort are renting and try to match that. some have bookings in late November to even January of 2022 already but I find it risky because of pandemic to open that far ahead. Prefer 3-6 months window.

Lynn1221
Level 2
Tucker, GA

My bookings are 3 months in advance.

Walter26
Level 2
Neenah, WI

I have kept mine at 1 full year out - it has really worked out fine, especially as I have several guests who book their week of vacation for the following year as soon as they check out the current year.  There are several main events that folks are trying to book, and it really has worked out well for repeat guests.  

I have hardly had a problem with guests canceling as they get closer - if they ever did, we follow the cancellation policy, and the house is opened up again on the calendar.  I have debated for shorter reservation windows, but until I see the need, I am sticking with the 1-year window.  

Kumari3
Level 7
Melbourne, Australia

I had no idea other hosts had shorter open calendar periods to me.

In Australia, and as a traveller who loves to plan and book well in advance myself, I have my calendar open forever. 

And we do have some guests, generally from overseas but some Aussies too, who do book well in advance. Perhaps 9 months ahead. 

I also have regular guests who come and stay as they work in the local area and they like to secure their accommodation at least 6 months in advance.

Of course COVID has changed everything.

COVID aside, I do wonder if limiting your calendar’s open period doesn’t mean that hosts miss out on great bookings.

@Kumari3 " I do wonder if limiting your calendar’s open period doesn’t mean that hosts miss out on great bookings."

That really depends on what sort of listing one has and the location. If you live somewhere that major events are held that guests tend to book for well in advance, or have a big place that would accommodate something like a family reunion, that would require alot of planning, then sure, hosts might miss out on bookings.

But I know I don't, because even though my calendar is open only 3 months in advance, I've never had a booking made more than about 2 months in advance and most tend to book 3 weeks to a month in advance.

And even if that wasn't the case, I value not having to be around to host at some date 9 months from now, when I might want to be out if town myself, or need a break, over missing out on some potential booking.

I suppose a host could have a year long booking window and just block out all dates months in the future aside from when they're sure they'd get bookings for some major event time or holidays, and perhaps some do.

Delia6
Level 4
Aptos, CA

In the past, my calendar was open a year in advance with certain dates blocked. Since Covid set in I have blocked my calendar from November through March. I will change that and open it up if the governor lifts the Stay at Home order. My rates will remain the same, although I think the market would allow for an increase since people are so ready to travel. I'm really looking forward to hosting again!

I have mine open until Dec 2021

I take bookings, however if they have paid I would suggest to postpone their booking, does anyone else do that as well?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Three (3) years in advance in our case, for we have little to loose if a guest doesn't show up (full payment), cancels (paid 50%) or requests a change, earlier or later which with 99% of guests is no problem. Unless unpredictable Airbnb starts to once again interfere with cancellation policies like they did in 2020. If they do again, we are setup for day use which comes out to the same thing for us financially.

Susan-And-Brett0
Level 2
Marshfield, MA

@cedarwalk we book about 6 mos out. we r mostly renting in the off season from skiing when we use the home primarily. our bookings start rolling in between Feb and April. the rest fill in closer to their visit dates. we fully refunded all pre covid reservations upon request because it was the right thing to do but now ask our guests to acknowledge our cancellation policy which i think Air bnb should add a button right before guests click “complete” so assure there is no misunderstanding there. fun thread! 

Martin280
Level 10
New York, NY

3 months. I used to have it open 6 months but then would underprice myself. I don't find you have an advantage to opening up longer as you can't see trends and adapt accordingly. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Like @Kumari3 mine are open for all future dates.  It just suits my listings, vacation houses in seasonal Maine.  Fourth of July weekend at all three places has already been booked.  Average booking lead time is 65 days, so it's very rare I get last-minute bookings.

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

Interesting to hear what everyone is doing. I'm finding guests are either booking about a month in advance or six months ahead at the moment. In the past I found most bookings were about two months out, but it seems many people don't want to commit that far out in the pandemic. Understandable. Of course we're also juggling a lot of cancellations and re-bookings. Headspinning at times. 

Dee148
Level 3
Chattanooga, TN

I normally go out as far as 6 months. If, I need to block out dates, that's when I do it. Fortunately we have a long term guest that works remotely. It's been a win/win for us.