How far in the future do you open your calendar?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

How far in the future do you open your calendar?

Curious.

Last year we opened a year in advance. With COVID cancellations it was a terrible idea because dates were booked and people waffled back and forth on whether they could come/cancelled at the last minute/wanted to rebook at an old rate etc. We are also steadily increasing our nightly rate so this year we are doing 6 months out with the hope of getting to a financial goal at year's end. 

What do you see as a best practice? I have had a few people request dates that are not yet available (and will ultimately cost more per night...)

45 Replies 45
Carl-and-Vicki0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

We update our rates in Dec each year, hence, we're open for 12 months booking.  We have returning guests that take 4-6 weeks during different parts of the year even at our increasing rates.  They want  assurance that their time can be locked in so we accommodate that.  We have 115 days booked for 2021 at our Washington home and 24 so far in San Diego, a property that we also reside in.  

Elinor0
Level 4
Topeka, KS

I have a private apartment on the second floor of my house, which I have had Airbnb guests in since January 2017. I have had my booking window for a year the whole time, which has never been a problem. Most of my bookings are long term and many are booked way ahead, especially if it's a student intern. I usually have one each summer. Living in the capital city of my state, I have had people involved with the legislature. We also have three hospitals and a good zoo, which have afforded me many bookings from students. We have an undergrad University, and a law school. In December I had an inquiry from a law student for a booking for second semester. My booking window didn't even cover the last part of his booking.  If it ever becomes a problem, I will shorten my window. As for wanting to be free to go away, I have gone out of state several times with a long term guest here. I have a trusted friend, retired army, who can fix most anything. He lives a mile away, and can be available quickly. Living below my listing affords me knowledge of what goes on in the apartment. Whenever I have left, I have always had a trusted guest.

Elinor18843
Shirley26
Level 10
Madison, WI

I've been hosting guests in my home since approx. June of 2016, and open for reservations from March to the end of October in a calendar year.  Living at the far edge of Madison, and not knowing what the winter weather may bring, I prefer to not host during this time period.   Having said that, I've had wonderful guests and even repeat guests.

A little history on hosting in the City of Madison:

Madison is the capital city, home to UW Madison, and a host of large corporations such as 

UW Hospital, Epic, American Family Insurance, Sub-Zero,  WPS Health Insurance.  But you know what they say about location?  My guests for the most part are not vacationers, but come here to work, interview, and attend meetings.   Not being in close proximity to  the capitol (approx 5 miles),  UW Madison Campus, nor government offices, a  stay at the "edge of the city" isn't always ideal.  

Then, the  City of Madison has ordinances that require hosts to be compliant and each year I am inspected by the Health Department with an inspection by  Zoning* (ZTRHP Zoning Tourist Rooming House Permit).  These inspections come at a cost initially and a fee each year thereafter,  along with stipulations on just how I may conduct my business as an

STR (TRH Short Term Rental).

*City of Madison Zoning requires that a tourist rooming house must be the operator's primary residence and that an operator may only rent the housing for 30 days per calendar year when not present.

I hope that I haven't discouraged any one from becoming a host, but it is better that you make yourself familiar with your local ordinances.   Ordinances are also intended to protect the integrity of one's neighborhood.     Blessings, 

David122
Level 4
Santa Fe, NM

i closed off my Air b n b  opportunity for awhile.  I need to pay mortgages .   I do not have the time to wait 6 months to when ever until the Air b n b  may come back.  Our down town is closed off from tourists and all of the restaurants are closed except for take out.  There is no reason to stay in business hoping it might come back anytime soon.  Selling off my property.  I am underwater.  Glad all of you may think different.  This is serious now.  Even though it is down to .03 percent,  there is no business in Santa Fe.  down and out.  take care.

@David122  As a home share host, I have been closed to bookings since early March, even though there are tons of tourists here and stupidly, almost no restrictions. Not worth risking my health nor do I want to facilitate travel during a deadly pandemic. I have no idea when or if I'll be able to open again. 

Luckily wasn't dependent on the income, although of course it was welcome, and my home is paid for, so all is well in that respect. 

From a lot of posts I read re the awful quality of guests since COVID, and how they cancel willy nilly, lying that its because they're sick, I feel a bit relieved that I haven't been having to deal with that.

P.S. I had to do a double take- do you ever look like my brother, at least in your profile photo.

David122
Level 4
Santa Fe, NM

I have had the most difficult guests since the Covid started.  It has been the opposite for 6 years prior.  I  have little to no support from Air b n b .  This is now a totally different situation for me.

I love positive guests however now they are few and far between.  I am trying to stay positive however am feeling tired of guests booking for one person and brining their whole family thinking I would not notice.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Laura2592 I always did 9 months, but I've decreased it to 3 months due to the pandemic. Last summer was fully booked, but almost no one who booked far in advance actually stayed: most dates were booked and re-booked numerous times as events were cancelled and re-scheduled. I just don't want to do that dance again this year, because it was a pain. If things open back up and people can travel and start having weddings again, I will be booked up instantly anyways, so I'm not worried. Better to wait and avoid a bunch of cancellations. 

Zied1
Level 2
Ariana, Tunisia

For Us in Tunisia, Covid caused terrible damage for my Airbnb , because hosting people in our house , with my parents was very good for cultural exchange and socializing , but when the pandemic happened , our parents was so scared of it so I closed the calendar and no more reservation and no more hosts, till now the calendar is closed because I am really scared if any harm happens to my parents , Hopefully if there is a solution for this pandemic soon , I will be able to accept reservation again.

Rachel367
Level 6
Espoo, Finland

Within Finland there are no travel restrictions. Sure there are no tourist coming from out of the country but the locals need a short holiday out of their city box apartments. Since the listing is next to a National Park about 30 km from the capital, I have been lucky to host our guest apartment well throughout 2020. No guest contact and more cleaning and disinfection work. Was it worth it? Yes and no. Money came in but since many people are frustrated not to be able to get out or the country, hosting was quiet stressing.

Yes I am open 12 months in advance and start getting bookings for summer and a few last minutes reservations for weekends.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Since I run an island, the guests that are are finally able to come are interested in only one thing - get away from the human race. Off are the masks and even clothes on many occasions, in that order. Come to think of it, the reverse wouldn't make any sense.

Laura2210
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

I leave my calendar open for the whole year, except for specific private family and friend visits.   I also block my calendar when I want to go away for a few weeks, but generally the calendar stays open throughout the year.   I try to plan ahead, and keep tabs on my online calendar everytime I get a new booking.   The unfortunate thing is that Air BnB does not give you the option to say why you are 'blocking' your calendar, because to some people this could look as though you don't want any bookings, or, alternatively, on the plus side, it could look like you are very busy.

Laura2210
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

I also find that people who book well in advance tend to cancel 2 - 3 months before.   It is pretty much an up and down thing, but as international travel to South Africa has been banned in most countries, I find I am only getting local visitors who are fickle in their choices regarding where, when and how much to pay.   Some international travellers are trickling through from areas that have not restricted travel to and from South Africa.    I am hoping it improves over the next 2 months and that the bans internationally are lifted.

Cheryl-And-Bill0
Level 10
Anacortes, WA

My husband and I are retired and sometimes feel tied down because we were opening our calendar 6 months in the future which made a spontaneous get-away impossible.   So we changed it to two months which is working ok.   Of course, this year we aren't going anywhere so it probably dosen't matter!   We are also limiting our length of stay to 21 days.  

We've been hosts for 3.5 years and have found that the winter is pretty quiet.  So we are closed down mid-week and only open on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.  This gives us time mid-week to really do some in depth cleaning and have some quiet times to ourselves.

My prediction is that when more of us get vaccinated, Airbnb is going to explode with everyone wanting to travel after this awful lockdown.   We plan to raise our prices a little this summer and bank some money for our next big vacation.  Ireland, Switzerland, and the South of France!

Safe travels!   Cheryl Reid

PS:   Last year (during Covid) we got really busy with guests from Seattle -90 miles away- who just had to get out of their house or go crazy.   So when I saw that we were booked for 5-6 days a week, I blocked out the open day(s) to give us some extra time for deep cleaning and to give ourselves a break.   Being retired, we don't want to start thinking of this as a job.  

Another thing.   We don't charge a cleaning fee.   Our main competition is the hotel down the street and they don't charge a (hidden) cleaning fee.   We keep our prices competitive with theirs.  

Conrad1
Level 2
St Augustine, FL

I use LittleHotelier to manage my inventory, and it keeps pace by opening a year in advance, however at the default rate which is our highest rate charged.  Then it is up to me to set what the actual rates are, say 3-6 months in advance.  LittleHotelier is free with Siteminder, Siteminder is about $120 per month and allows you to place inventory with hundreds of other channels, like booking.com etc.