How has the way you communicate with travellers changed?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How has the way you communicate with travellers changed?

Liv_0-1592833050493.png

Hi everyone,

Some of you have been welcoming guests for several weeks now, so it would be really interesting, and helpful to your fellow hosts, to know more about your recent experiences regarding communication. 

How have your conversations with guests differed? 

If you were used to sending standard or boilerplate messages, have you updated them? Have you been communicating with travellers more, less or just as much? Have you noticed any new types of questions from your future or potential guests? 

We can’t wait to hear how hosts have been knocking it out the park as hospitality gets back on track. 

Thanks,

Liv

41 Replies 41
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Liv 

Have the buffer periods / blocking of dates on Private Room listing calendars finally been removed so Guests can book again?

Assuming this is why my calendar had dates with green slashed lines on it despite the fact it wasn't booked & I hadn't blocked any dates to cause this situation.

It would be nice to have this fixed so we can get some enquiries and bookings to have guests to communicate with....

Thanks for any info re this .

@Liv  Where I’ve never had a pre-planned canned message in the past, I’ve created one now. It goes like this: 

Hi Xxxxx,

I’m looking forward to your stay and just wanted to touch base before you check-in. You should have received an email from Airbnb in the past couple of days. In the email you can locate check-in info, door codes, and lots more information about the house. As your host I am committed to providing you a safe, clean and great home away from home.
I’m sure you are well aware of the global spread of Covid 19 and I want to assure you I am doing my part to reduce the spread of the virus. I am asking all my guests to follow safe hygiene in the Airbnb as well as when you are out and about. I have implemented additional hygiene requirements as part of your check-in and during your stay. When you checkin please immediately wash your hands with soap located at the kitchen or bathroom sinks. I have provided Lysol wipes at the front door and require you to wipe down the door handles that you touched to get inside. Please repeat this process every time you or one of your guests re-enter the home.
For more information about Covid-19 in Saskatchewan visit this website:
https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/health-care-administration-and-provider-resources/treatment-p...
We all have a responsibility in society to try and reduce the spread of Covid-19. Although the chances of contracting the virus is low, I am being cautious and proactive. My hope is that you can follow this protocol and feel assured you are in a safe and clean environment and the most important part...enjoy your stay!
Please let me know if you have any questions about checkin, and message me with any questions once you’ve settled in.
Regards,
Katrina

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing, @Katrina79!

Providing a link to your local government's information on COVID-19 is a great idea! And I bet guests appreciate having some reassurance that you are taking the necessary precautions 🙂

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427,

All updates on COVID-19 related issues are being posted on the resource center. Have you had a look there yet by any chance?

If your calendar still doesn't make sense, can you please DM me some more information on what's wrong?

Thanks,

Liv

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Liv, please check your DM. Thanks

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

My new Message for first timers before we approve them (we are getting lots of them requesting-

Hello ________, Thanks for checking with us, The space is available. I see you have never had a review. Please take a moment to confirm details and let us know a few things to help us serve you better
-I see your From ____________, what brings you to our area?

-Please confirm Dates for stay (arrive/ depart)

-Who would be staying, please also confirm 2 guests?

-Did you read the entire listing and rules and do you agree to them?

-Do you have any questions or concerns about this stay?

@Melodie-And-John0 

Nice message.

Wee typo I've picked up perhaps change" your" to " you're or you are".

We all have little challenges with spelling & meanings from time to time for whatever reason including from head injuries, dyslexia, Alzheimer's etc.

All the best from across the miles in New Zealand, Pacific Ocean not to be confused with New Zealand in USA!!

Thanks for that pick up @Helen427 ! My dad the English teacher would be so disappointed in my spelling and poor use of some words!   Stay well, JR

aww the grammar 👮🏻‍♀️ popop

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it

This is great thanks. @Melodie-And-John0 Do you use instant book? 

Yes @Phil2973 and many of my bookings are IB's at this time.

Thank you for the share, this message will be helpful for sure. 

Question, is it possible to refuse a guest that does not have reviews, or questionable reviews?  We are in Los Angeles, CA and the quality of guests has deteriorated significantly, especially with the younger set, but not exclusively.  Are we, as hosts, negatively impacted when we decline a request to book someone with no reviews or questionable reviews.

Any help and advice is appreciated.  I don't have half a day to wait on the phone for a live person at Airbnb who has no idea 😉

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Also, We chat very little and thats kinda sad.   

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Melodie-And-John0,

That is quite sad 😕 

Why do you think that is? Are guests being more direct and practical during this period?