How have you evolved as a host?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How have you evolved as a host?

Evolved.jpg

Hello everyone,

As with most things, I believe it’s good for the soul to feel you are moving forward and learning. Whether you have been hosting for years or perhaps only a few months, the progression as a host can be huge. The things you learn after welcoming each guest into your home, perhaps you have mastered your cleaning routine or your messaging checklist.

How do you feel you have evolved?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

57 Replies 57
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Great question @Lizzie  !

I certainly feel I have evolved as a host 🙂

My personal style of hosting for my own listing has always been rather relaxed, warm and welcoming- and perhaps a little care-free in terms of who I allow as a guest! (it's my space, I am here most of the time and my guests stay for short amounts of time)

I would say it has evolved and changed dramatically since becoming a full-time co-host: I have had to become more assertive, stricter in who stays and who doesn't, looking more deeply into guests motivations when going through the booking process and working out if guests would be a good fit to certain hosts and listings as well as dealing with problems in a no-nonsense way when they come up.

Of course I am still warm, relaxed and welcoming- but with the added armour I mention above, and which I certainly didn't have when I first started hosting!

Paul 🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lizzie @Paul1255 

I agree with @Paul1255

My listing & myself have evolved in becoming more assertive & perhaps stricter in who comes to stay.

Screening of guests seems to make a difference, that said my listing has evolved from been a scant listing with few details to one of the most detailed online, for better or worse, for richer or for poorer...

Some of my loveliest guests have said they like all the detail & that their families helped them decide who to stay with which I think is sweet.

They to have contributed in there own ways as to how I've evolved in my hosting, as have the fabulous members here in Community Centre.

I've given some of my guests cuttings from my wee garden, tulip bulbs that were given away from Cornwall Park when there garden staff removed them  to replant the garden beds & were gifted to the people, & in recent times some of my swan plants for them to share the love with our delightful "Monet the Monarch" caterpillars & butterflies.

They have commented in person & online in relation to these small acts of kindness.

The 3rd photo is of a newborn baby near transparent Monarch caterpillar which is not easy to see however do note the love heart shape that these Monet the Monarch caterpillars have eaten into the Swan Plant, gorgeous isn't it?

Who would have thought caterpillars are as creative & talented as Monet the Artist/ Painter from years gone by?

All the best and may we all Metamorphosize just like Monarchs do.

Monet the Monarch, March 2019Monet the Monarch, March 2019Good morningGood morningBaby Monarch sharing the Love - Note the love heart shape eaten leafBaby Monarch sharing the Love - Note the love heart shape eaten leaf

Thank you for these photos! I love your thoughtful analogy of how we change. I started hosting just months ago. So far all has been great. I have just come into an issue with a booking and am working ( or trying to ) with CS of Airbnb. It’s changing how I host! I’m adding more detail and requiring more in return. 

Thank you @Julie1387 for your kind words.

It's a pleasure to help and share.

Those who contribute here in CC and my Guests have been an inspiration to me, as have all creatures Great and Small.

All the best

Central to All Home & Location

Auckland, New Zealand

Noel102
Level 10
Houston, TX

I have absolutely evolved as a host.  I am never afraid to say no to a booking now, and I have done so on multiple occasions.  I've learned that my gut is almost never wrong.  I stopped allowing bookings longer than 30 days because let's face it, long-term guests get a wee bit too comfortable, and comfortable leads to more wear and tear and a LOT more cleaning when they leave.

While I am more discerning when it comes to guests, I've learned more about little things that make guests feel welcome.  Since starting out, I've added new amenities, hotel-quality toiletries, magazine subscriptions, and books/guides for the local area.  I even included a cookbook from local chefs that includes what restaurants you can go to for the dishes if guests don't feel like making it themselves.

When we first decided to jump onto AirBnB I insisted we run it like a business, going so far as to set up a management company to cover all the financial aspects for tax purposes.  My time hosting has proven that to be the right decision.

The single biggest thing I've learned to do is let go and not let everything stress me out, especially the messes guests can leave behind.  Unless there is REAL damage, it's nothing to get worked up about - It comes with the territory.  If I can replace a shattered toilet, make big holes in the wall disappear, steam clean stains out of a rug and couch and deodorize the whole guest house in 12 hours without giving up, then I can probably handle almost anything.

Anna491
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

Well said!

What's your recommendation for deodorizing a room. I just had a guest with terrible Body Oudor :(.

I have a diffuser that I diffuse essential oils in.  Depending on the smell I’ll use a different blend of oils to get the smell out and refresh the room 

Hi maria, use ozonator machine,  it will deodorize and clean up the room

Amos18
Level 7
Nairobi, Kenya

Lizzie one thing that made to fell in love with this community centre is how these guys are willing to assist no matter your regional background. Am a host from Africa but i feel deep within this community,every one is willing to share a thought or two and in return new hosts like us are learning new things each day.

air bnb its great to share  , i like airbnb for my vacation " **

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Lizzie  We are always learning, from our experience and from others experience.

I have learned a lots by reading some posts in this community.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Lizzie   good question.   I would definitely say that I have become much more relaxed.   I don't worry about the "numbers" any more either.  It has become easier for me to give a guest a more critical, and honest review if they deserve it.  I learned not to play Airbnb's game any more than I have to.   If my gut tells me that a potential guest is not a good fit, I either decline or cancel.  No more bending over backwards/putting up with rudeness/blatant violations of house rules.  Oh, and I learned that white towels and sheets hold up much better!

Agree!!!

Im also sick and tired of guest canceling on the last possible day they can get a full refund! I have lost several thousand with those cancelations and that really hurts when you count on it so I made my Airbnb strict refund policy. Airbnb doesnt like that because they arent getting the bookings as much and tell you, you wont be with their group of top list advertising!  Be sure to read everything "New" that Airbnb sends to you. I also dont accept just anyone especially groups who are meeting up or people with children under 12 anymore because we have several flight of stairs that parents cant seem to control! Thats almost always not good.

And if you sneak people in I will come after you and thats never a good thing!

Oh, and I have a cleaning team and no longer spend hours doing a 1,100 sf apartment with 4 beds and they pay for it! 😉

You're welcome...