How have you evolved as a host?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How have you evolved as a host?

Evolved.jpg

Hello everyone,

As with most things, I believe it’s good for the soul to feel you are moving forward and learning. Whether you have been hosting for years or perhaps only a few months, the progression as a host can be huge. The things you learn after welcoming each guest into your home, perhaps you have mastered your cleaning routine or your messaging checklist.

How do you feel you have evolved?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

57 Replies 57
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Like everyone here, @Lizzie , I have become better (I hope better) by being stricter in some ways and nicer in others.

When I started, I came off as so incredibly laid back that one of my first sets of guests assumed they could treat the treehouse like a personal cottage after that first visit, and come for free whenever they liked. Crushing that dream was my first bit of strictness.

Other strictnesses followed, like standing firm on number of guests, third party bookings, off-the-platform deals, announcements that rules would be broken. It is much easier to enforce things with, "I'm afraid Airbnb does not allow..." Grateful for that.

I am much nicer than when I started, though, in what I provide for guests in the way of amenities. I have listened to every bit of guest advice, and taken anything reasonable and good on board. 

For myself, I am a more efficient cleaner than I was seven years ago, thanks to lots of practice for guests and the wonderful advice in this forum. Thanks, you wonderful cleaners!

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Wrong cover picture. Right question.

Hosting is more like this:

B16BF8A8-91CB-4E20-98B6-196AC3B21104.jpeg

....or this:

4A5799B2-B30D-47FE-ACD7-093E64F81EBA.jpeg

Adrienne107
Level 4
Seattle, WA

I think anyone who's paying attention will inevitably evolve as a host. 😉

At first, my husband David and I were just looking for a way to turn an extra room into some extra cash. We didn't put much thought into the kinds of guests we wanted to attract, or energy into connecting with them as people, and it showed. Our results were disappointing until we had an absolutely wonderful guest who made us realize we had been missing out on one of the greatest benefits of hosting: forging genuine connections with guests. 

After she left, we sat down and created a persona for our ideal guest, and targeted all our marketing toward that specific audience. Immediately, we started getting bookings and inquiries from people we liked right away and looked forward to meeting. We naturally started reaching out more, because we genuinely cared about their opinion and were invested in creating a wonderful experience for them. It started to feel less like a job and more like a fun way to make new friends and, as a bonus, make some extra money as well. 

Now, we have "friends" over just about every night and absoultely love it!

Mariel-Gia0
Level 1
Bulacan, Philippines

How i can easily find guests for my condo?

Grace329
Level 5
Johannesburg, South Africa

When I started hosted i was a bit jumpy and scared that something bad was going to happen but with time I have learned to relax and expect goodness from people. You will get some some bad apples here and there but generally people are good and have made good friends too.

Hi Grace, you give me hope, I m expecting my first guests this afternoon and dont know what to expect. Thank you

Rosalind35
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

I started hosting 3 weeks ago as our long term tenant left. Being a separate apartment I'm finding airbnb very easy and now have my first long term guest for 28 days. I think this is much easier than having to clean every 2 days. Although I will let you know at the end which is preferable. I did get caught up in all the discounts to offer guests the first week to get quicker bookings. But this doesn't make sense for shorter term or 2 night bookings as it doesn't even cover cleaning costs or outgoings. However with weekly or monthly bookings I do agree with the discount added. 

Hi Rosalind, am glad to know that you are currently doing the long term, kindly advice how you do it. I have a guest request for a month or two stay and I think it changes the dynamics of a day to day arrangement such as housekeeping use of the kitchen and other shared spaces since they will be renting only one room in a five bedroom house. Your assistance and other's will be highly appreciated. 

Cynthia129
Level 4
Raleigh, NC

I've been a host for almost 6 years now and I would say what I have learned is:

1.white sheets+towels and bleach are your friends

2.guests with long hair will leave a mess. I wish airbnb would let us filter them out. 😉

3.airbnb is probably wrong about the prices you can ask if you have a really interesting place and good pictures. I raised my prices 15% and lost 1-2 bookings a month but make more $ overall. I keep getting messages about lowering my rate, but cheap guests leave messes.

4.if you stock your place with cleaning tools and supplies, and leave a "If you want to clean before you leave here's what we do" checklist you'd be amazed how many people will clean for you. If you also put a sign that says "check the bed before you go for socks and underwear" then you won't find socks and underwear in  your sheets. 

5.Yes, I can actually clean a 700 sq. ft. studio in 28 minutes. 

6.Trust your gut (someone already said this) Don't do same-day bookings (they are outcalls, just google it) and sketchy folks are sketchy. If they look like they smoke weed in their profile pic, or do outcalls, they do. Say no. Airbnb does not like it, but that's tough.

@Cynthia129 

Not all same day bookings are shady. Of course I host in my home so that's probably not what "outcalls" are looking for. I've had a couple who's renovations went awry and were suddenly without plumbing, a young lady on an impromptu visit to the area, and a man traveling on business with a last minute meeting. And I actually had booked an ABB one time that turned out to be NOT as described when I arrived and was scrambling for a place for me and my dog to stay at 8pm one night!

Julie408
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Its been an enjoyable journey thus far. Definitely evolved! Learned so much about people and behaviours. Constantly making adjustments for a better experience for both guests and myself. 

Happy to receive Superhost status 9 times in a row. Happy hosting! 😉

SueEllen0
Level 4
Danville, VA

I've learned never to assume that a guest knows something that I think everyone knows -- like the guy who didn't know to place the shower curtain inside the tub edge because he'd only showered in showers with glass doors. He was utterly baffled why the floors got so wet!

Likewise, my house manual has grown as guests have taught me all of the things in my home that need explaining. I've also learned that getting a guest to actually read the House Manual is a feat unto itself.

I've learned that standards of cleanliness vary wildly, and although the very, very few lousy guests are indelibly etched in my memories, learning that 99% of people are kind and generous, grateful and thoughtful. 

And for them, I keep on hosting and laughing and loving it.

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

I echo what many have said. When I started, I accepted everyone, and all of their (unreasonable) requests. I let people check in at 8am, and let kids stay for half price (they should be double!), all for the almighty review! I have learned to be stricter about what is, and is not, acceptable. I have learned that the people you go out of your way for are not the ones who will leave you the best reviews; they're the ones who want more. I have learned that Airbnb knows nothing about what is an appropriate rate, and I will never, ever do IB. I have learned to suss people out through dialogue before they arrive, and prepare for the type of guest(s) who show up. I'm rarely wrong (once or twice I was, and I was pleasantly surprised!). I have learned that, even though my house manual and rules are written in the listing details, and also in a package in the rooms, I *still* need to go through it verbally at check-in. People don't read. I have learned that a lot of people sleep with lights on, even though I ask people to please turn off the lights when they retire so I can give them privacy and don't have to come down and do it for them. Mostly, I've learned to actually enjoy my guests and not worry too much about whether I am making their experience enjoyable or not. That's up to them. 

Kris76
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Yes I have, after 8 years of hosting I have been lucky enough to built up to 4 units and even built an app to help manage my operations www.guesthug.com

Long but fruitful journey I’d say! 

Selam2
Level 2
Santa Cruz, CA

I have evolved hosting on Airbnb. It’s almost two years now since I hosted my very first guests. I am learning and evolving each day. I don’t live in any of the houses I host.  But, even from the text  and call personal communication, I understood  the power of opening ourselves and our space to strangers in eliminating prejudices and bringing people together. I became more relaxed, developed trust that most people are good. I became efficient in managing each task as a host learning from experience and the community blog. Sensitivity  and a  personal touch in communication with my guests was my strength. I try my best to please and accommodate their specific requests. What I started as a side hustle has evolved as a full time occupation.