How have you evolved as a host?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How have you evolved as a host?

Evolved.jpg

Hello everyone,

As with most things, I believe it’s good for the soul to feel you are moving forward and learning. Whether you have been hosting for years or perhaps only a few months, the progression as a host can be huge. The things you learn after welcoming each guest into your home, perhaps you have mastered your cleaning routine or your messaging checklist.

How do you feel you have evolved?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

57 Replies 57
Gigi54
Level 2
Mount Coolum, Australia

6mths new to hosting.....most of our bookings are same day instant books, whilst this has taught us to ALWAYS make sure the room is ready it can be a whirlwind cleaning nightmare - if house cleaning ever became an Olympic event AirBnB hosts would take out gold in most events 🙄 .  That said we’ve only had 15 bookings, block our calendar for when we want our own time together and room for our kids, friends and family to visit.

Our spaces and us as hosts are still learning and evolving.  My question is how do we attract more multiple night bookings?

The ones we’ve had have been terrific guests and we’d like future guests to stay longer, atleast more than one night 😳.

I have a 2 night minimum from sep-April,then this year I bumped up my minimum stay to 3 nights for May,  June, July and August.  We will see how it goes.  I found it too costly and a lot of work to turn over my 620 sq ft self contained cottage very 2 days.  I like it very clean for guests. 

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

I'm less concerned about getting bookings. Here are some of the things I do differently now: 

-- 2 day minimum, 7 day max

--I block in between bookings most of the time. 

--I have raised my prices. 

--I use instant book

--I block more days. I need breaks after almost 4 years of in home hosting. (Super host for 15 quarters.)

--I think I do just as much as I always did, cater to guests needs and according to my husband, do too much and worry too much! 

MariaLaura37
Level 2
Sardinia, Italy

Grazie,siete stati molto esaustivi ........Questo mi aiuterà a ospitare meglio.....Sono agli esordi

MariaLaura37
Level 2
Sardinia, Italy

Ciao, siete di grande aiuto con le vostre esperienze,ma qualcuno mi può aiutare a capire quanto devo chiedere in piu per le pulizie?

Depende, ho in apartmento piccolo, faccio tutti io & e chiedo $25. 

Andrea2500
Level 2
Pullman, WA

I’ve stopped greeting guests and giving a personal tour. I simply leave a key in the lockbox with a detailed check-in Guide via Airbnb app. So much better!  I feel like I have my life back in the evenings. Guests were always showing up late and I was often canceling plans to wait. Delayed flights where happening constantly this winter due to fog, and I’d be up sometimes til the 12:30 Am waiting for a guest’s flight to roll in. 

agree with you @Andrea2500 , the key lockbox is a great invention! no one has to stress about when they will arrive, and checkout is also simplified. 

I do self check in with a keypad door lock, using part of the phone number they provide to Airbnb as there access code.  It works wonders.  

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

I will be hosting my first guests in just 2 weeks. I'm not quite set up yet (no coffee maker, no extra pillows yet). The biggest change I've had since deciding to host is to see my home with different eyes. I love where I live, but will my guests? What can I do to make it more welcoming, comfortable, yet easier to maintain? I ask these questions and more now.  I'll be glad to be done with the first guests so I can learn what more I need to be doing.

I do love this forum. So much info and help! Thank you everyone for your continued guidance!!!

Nancy115
Level 5
Mills River, NC

I've been hosting in my home for over 3 years. First with 1 room and then I added another 1.5 years ago. During this time I've made it easier for the guests to serve themselves with keyless entry, self check-in instructions, prep info prior to arriving, etc. I've also strengthened my boundaries by not changing my schedule to suit my guests, not worrying if I meet a guest, and blocking off more days because I need a break or I need more time to get the room ready. I'd like to think I don't take reviews as personally as I used to. I also dont let the oddball poor review change my love of hosting and meeting new people.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie 

This is such good question. 

As mentioned above I have learnt to follow my gut more (I actually get stomach aches when I go against it *SMH*) and be more assertive. 

Overall we try to be accommodating- if you ask through kindness rather than entitlement I would definitely consider it... however, just as I am in other professional settings, I am only considerate to those who consider me as well. 

For example, I had this one guest who inquired about staying with us but needing to drop off his luggage before the check in time. Before I was even able to confirm yes or no, he just booked it and said that he’ll just come... all consideration on my part went. I kindly informed him that this is not possible and he can use serviced lockers all over London as to do this for a small fee, if this did not suit him then he is welcome to cancel his reservation penalty free. 

Furthermore he was coming on a Sunday- truly my only day off, which I spend with my beautiful niece and family.

I make exceptions but no money would ever be worth your peace much less your time with loved ones. Just my two cents. Have a beautiful day! 🙂

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Such an interesting thread, giving you all the 'heads up' whilst in virtual browser and calendar lockdown.

I recommend all hosts read this from the beginning taking note of how to 'Game' the Airbnb system. I don't think much has changed in nearly a year, but on closer scrutiny there will be some additions - I'm sure! 😀

@Yadira22 You look just as young now, as you did then 🙂