How have you had to adapt your home to host?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How have you had to adapt your home to host?

Adapting your home.jpg

Hello,

The amount of work it takes to get your listing ready to host your first guest can vary considerably from host to host. For some it’s a matter of tidying your spare room out and some fancy bedding, but for some it can be a bit more of a renovation project! 

When you first started how did you prepare your home to welcome guests? Has it changed over time?  

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

12 Replies 12
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Stephanie  I'm a remote host and since I don't live there all the time it wasn't such a stretch to have people in.  At first I just cleaned out a few drawers while unbeknownst to me my cleaners put all manner of things away, out of sight, to the point where I couldn't find them and thought they'd been stolen.  "Now who would walk off with a kaleidoscope?" I wondered.  I eventually found it squirreled away in the basement.  I put it back in the living room where it belongs and it's still there.  🙂

Over time I've made more changes - better sheets and towels, a new queen bed to replace my daughter's old single bed, a new mattress on mine, street numbers nailed to trees at the entrance to the driveways (to be honest that was much for the FedEx guy as it was for guests), new dishes to replace the old chipped set, and of course, the never-ending quest for the perfect wine glass in a complete set.  🙂

Now well into my 5th year, I can see that there will be something to improve, add, subtract, repair, or upgrade every year, but it's not too bad.  Houses are happier when they're lived in and I love sharing them, so it's a win-win!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I usually take into consideration good, constructive and reasonable feedback.

So, I always better the accommodations when some guest point out some weak point or something that could be better.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

lol @Stephanie @J-Renato0 @Ann72 

I slept on a yoga mat on my bedroom floor whilst my guests had use of my futon until I purchased a new bed for the Guest room!

I've slept on the Guest room bed to in my Guest room  & most of my Guests have said how comfortable it is, I inherited it through a delightful elderly lady who was downsizing her home & had barely used it.

I love the fact it's Made in New Zealand for a local touch!

We bought new bedding and towels and wooden blinds for our guest room, along with decorating with an eclectic mix of our existing boho collection. We also bought an ac unit for the room and moved in some seating. We also make sure our children “camp out” in our room on the other side of the house when we have guests to keep nighttime noise to a minimum. And of course, thourogh deep cleaning before each and every guest!

Виталий5
Level 2
Moscow, Russia

I did a lot. I spent about 6 thousand dollars and still not all sat down. Redid the loggia, bedroom, toilet, bought the decor, painted, glued, decorated)) and that's not all

Karen1784
Level 2
Port Townsend, WA

In addition to a complete remodel of all of the guest rooms, I added a new hall door and a frosted-glass sliding room divider to separate my half of the house from the front half to create a dedicated two-bedroom guest suite, and I fenced in the front patio to create a private garden for guests. After I started having guests I realized I would need to add a wet bar sink in the coffee bar area, so I recently completed that project.  I also converted the entire house to solar energy and added a dedicated EV charger for guests.  No takers yet, but I'm hopeful!

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

Each guest room has been painted and remodeled. New a/c added to each room. I've also upgraded the dishes and added a few nicer things. And of course taking into consideration any suggestions made by guests. I'm constantly looking for ways to make the guests stay better and my work easier. 

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

-repainted lots of the window trim and base boards (skirting boards.) Makes things look fresher.

-got rid of unnecessary clutter and stuff we never use

-put more hooks in the bathrooms and bedrooms

-got a keypad lock and Ring for the front door

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Well...let me see...

The flat was totally abandoned-no one has lived inside for the past 40 years. Most of the furniture  was even older.  So I made a complete renovation. Just for example-the electrical wiring was from 1946 - just one single cable and one el. fuse. A nightmare! It took 5 months to do everything. ABB was not in my plans. But the long-therm rentals are very problematic. Prices are low,  people prefer to live outside of the city.  More then 20% of the flats in the top city center are abandoned. No one lives there and no one wants.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sounds like your bringing life back to that section the city! Glad to hear Airbnb is working for you. I visited Sofia when I was much younger, it's where I learnt to ski!

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Some ski infrastructure is still working. No idea how they survive. In general , the ski tourism in Sofia has been almost  completely erased.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Homeshare host here. Prior to my first guests, I did a deep clean of the room and bathroom, bought new towels and bedding, repurposed an old sofa table, bought a tiny flat screen TV for the room, and in general made sure everything in the room and bathroom was focused on the guest.

The most important thing I did prior to my first guest, in my opinion, was switch out my plain deadbolt to add a keypad lock on the door with programmable codes for each guest. This has made hosting so easy!

As a guest myself, I'm amazed at the places I've stayed where it feels like I'm just staying in the "spare room." Christmas decorations in the closet, personal items stored under the bed. It just feels weird! I always want my guests to feel like this is "their" space while they are here.

I find I am constantly adding new touches. I've now got three sets of towels, two sets of linens, and two bedspreads. I've added several pieces of artwork. The bathroom cabinet now holds a full supply of toiletries and first aid supplies. I've added a curtain in the doorway to the tiny hall of the guest bedroom and bathroom to make it feel more private.

And most recently, I removed the bifold closet doors to make the room look more open. Guests don't need closet doors and it allows for extra space to put another little table with shelves! Next up is a plan to upgrade my double bed and VERY old mattress to a queen bed and memory foam mattress by the end of the year.