How hosting breeds friendships

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

How hosting breeds friendships

Last Autumn we hosted a Chinese couple from Shanghai who stayed for four nights.

One morning after exhanging a few emails I came out of my man cave and went over and sat in the garden with Chang pu and we shared a cup of tea and we talked. He told me, in Chinese his name means 'flourishing plant or vine' and how he always wanted a garden. Tears whelled up in his eyes as he told me he lived in an apartment and had no access to a plot of land where he could actually grow something for himself. I asked him to come into the potting shed with me and help me strike some Salvias and some Biden for planting next spring. Chang pu was in his element and my feeling was this was one of his nicest mornings.

Tonight I received a request from 加菲猫 Garfirld and 菖蒲 Chang pu....they wish to come back here and get married in our garden!

IMG20181117200249.jpg

I have always said I would never host a party but, here I  am looking forward to this one.

Hosting brings unlikely people together and creates friendships that no other occupation on earth can do!

Cheers......Rob

36 Replies 36
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Robin4

Beautiful story Rob, and I have no doubt you'll pull out all the stops to make the couple's wedding day truly memorable and special. What an honour and privilege for you and Ade to be involved in such a precious event. And how wonderful to have your fabulous garden chosen as the venue for such a momentous and romantic occasion! 🙂

I hope you all enjoy every moment of it!

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Robin4 Wow, what a great story!! 🙂 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra856

I am sure you would have one just as good Sandra. You don't realise how many beautiful people there are in the world until you host!

Cheers......Rob

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I remember you telling this story from way back. The fact that they want to return for a wedding? You couldn't make this stuff up! Human and flora connections intersect.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

aaaaaa :)))) how sweet  :)))) ❤️

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Robin4 What a truly wonderful story. And it will continue with what is sure to be a magical wedding in your lovely garden. Will it be at night with the fairy lights or day under the sun? Eitherway, it will be awesome. You are so special to host them and their wedding.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I had a couple who wanted this also, I said yes, plans went on for months and then their combined families put a stop to it as guest number could not be kept small, and and and all the things that families demand at weddings. A total hijack! I hope your couple will be able to go through with their plans, @Robin4.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra126

Yes, there is going to be a bit of planning on both sides. 

Chinese couples do like to plan a long way ahead when it comes to weddings and they do have a habit of doing things a bit differently to the way we accept. Most young couples in Shanghai will have their wedding photos taken on 'The Bund' on the colonial side of the river looking across at new Shanghai. On any day there will be hundreds of different wedding parties josling for a bit of space to have that album snapped. They will have these photos professionally taken in all their wedding finery, yet, the wedding may not actually be for a number of months into the future!

But it is all about planning to them, so although I am a bit apprehensive about hosting a party, I do know them, and it's a long way from an 18th floor apartment in Shanghai to a back yard in Mt Barker, so the numbers will be limited. 

And @Susan151, you have a good memory! I have made mention in a post last year about Chang pu's comments about the garden, although I have no idea what post that was now. It would be lovely if we could somehow archive our posts to consult down the track!

Cheers......Rob

Archiving would be a wonderful idea @Robin4

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Robin4 So great story. I just got married in January and a two girls, My previous guest who stayed with me 2 times. She decided to fly from HK to my wedding.

Yes, there always a great friend waiting for us to meet.

cheer

Nutth

@Robin4 

What a truly wonderful connection ! Uplifting & special for all concerned... and yes, your amazing garden the perfect setting for their nuptials.

What joy, Rob !!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Robin4. Any xmas solar festive lights left in Mt Barker Bunnings? I bought up a few before Xmas so I would have them for any romantic events. Where are unable to get the smaller lights during our dry season.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19

I have already 3,200 flickering bud lights around the garden which I have converted to mains via a transformer and I run them through a 'sunset switch' ...they come on at dusk and turn off at dawn!

Probably would be an idea to have a back-up on hand in case I get ruthless with the garden shears....:-))

Are you down here at the moment for Garry's eye op? 

Cheers.....Rob

Down last Sunday 13th and home again last Friday18th. 

We thought about calling in again, but didn’t want to wear out our welcome & time also got away with all the eye procedures & appointments. The only day we really had was Friday, but with the “Tour Down Under” on, getting out of the hills was a priority! Heading to Mt Barker after Hahndorf was definitely not happening. The traffic coming off the freeway to Hahndorf was pretty congested. So with the peloton heading to you, that was not the way to go.....

Garry’s cataract procedures are appearing very successful. He has also not been wearing glasses!! I’m jealous as I hang my reading glasses on my neck!