How hosts are rated by guests (constituent ratings vs. aggregate) - plea to Airbnb to change rules

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

How hosts are rated by guests (constituent ratings vs. aggregate) - plea to Airbnb to change rules

After another strange rating, I finally took the time to inquire at CS about the ratings by guest and here is what I learned.

My question: "I would like to request a revision of the rating of the review. The total rating of the review is 3/5, while there is:
Accuracy 4/5
Check-in 5/5
Cleanliness 4/5
Communication 5/5
Location 5/5
Value 3/5.
How does it work that the total value is the lowest of the scores?"

And the response I got:

"Thanks for your message here, I am Community Expert, also a Super host and guest. I will try to assist you with your issue.

The total is not the average of all the items but it's rated by the guest. I understand you perfectly as a host. It's a little hard to accept that guests sometime gives good rates on all items and then on the total, they give a lower rate.

Let me know if this helps and if you need any extra help on this!"

So in short, the overall rating of a host displayed in the listing, as well as the chance of getting the so-much-desired Super Host status, really depends on a random value given by the guest at the end of the rating, possibly on the spur of the moment or other undisclosed sensations. In no way is it any derrivative of the constituent ratings, namely Accuracy, Check-in, Cleanliness, Communication, Location, Value. And yet at the same time, it is a crucial value that helps guests make financial decisions, which in turn impact Airbnb's and hosts' revenues. Leaving business to emotions is not a good advisor.

I have visited many outlets and tend to analyse such systems, but this one of Airbnb's is rotten to the core.

So if anyone of Airbnb, capable of making logical decisions that will finally support hosts, cares, please include it in the agenda for patching the holes.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
69 Replies 69
Cynthia50
Level 3
Prince Edward, Canada

we get 4 out 5 a lot. but the guest say they had a great time. i wish they would tell us what we can do to make a 5 out of 5.  

Philippa27
Level 3
Langebaan, South Africa

I am at a loss how to get the guests to understand how the ratings work. They come stay, have a wonderful time, tell me to my face that everything is beautiful and nothing I could do better and then rate me 4 stars and then  I give them 5 stars and then sorry that I did because they left it a bit messy. How does the ratings get to be so low and everything is super great and perfect. And then Airbnb tell me that they going to cut me off cause my ratings are getting low. Its a very difficult situation as I think most guests think that 4 stars are great. Please help ?

This is an interesting discussion because I normally rate my best guests "high" just after they have left and I find that in turn they rate me "high".  My overall rating is high, giving me SuperHost status. I find that if I am available for questions when they check in and again the next morning (I supply free tea and coffee with muffins), it is an opportunity to give the guests all the tips and tricks to save money locally.  For instance I tell my guests where to park to avoid parking charges. I give them the name and directions of a cheap restaurant and advise them what to avoid. I don't know everything about where I live but it certainly helps those on a budget. I also provide an email in advance of their visit of all the tourist attractions that are economical or good. This enhances their experience. 

I am lucky because I am in a super location, close to the bus and train stations, as well as Niagara Falls. This is how I market my home, along with the fact that the house is modernized, rooms are fairly spacious, clean, and the price is right.

I also have an area where guests can microwave food so sometimes they bring the food back to the house and eat out on the porch where there is a large table and chairs for dining. There is also a fridge in two of the rooms and I notice that the guests buy food and make their own light meals such as sandwiches, fruit, drinks etc. This saves travellers a lot of money. And so does the fact that my room rates are lower. 

@Marlene78:

This is an interesting discussion because I normally rate my best guests "high" just after they have left and I find that in turn they rate me "high".

Perhaps I misunderstood your comment, but I just wanted to make sure you're aware that guests are unable to see host's reviews until they write their review - and vice versa. Any correlation you might see between your ratings and theirs are simply happenstance....or more likely, because you deserve those good reviews 🙂

@Marlene78 You are using the power of positive suggestion. That is the key of getting great 5* ratings. Deflate any negative type at the very beginning. Wonderful! 

I use this same strategy and get really good ratings from most guests.  I provide brochures from the Chamber of Commerce, maps, lots of tips on where to eat, and I check on them frequently to make sure they have no problems.  I put waters in the fridge and always tell them to call me if there is any issue with their stay.  Guests are less likely to give you a lower rating if you promptly address any legitimate issues with your listing.  I always refer guests back to the listing/house rules if that will help to answer a question.

To me, the problem isn't the guests ratings, but Airbnbs interpretation of them. At a hotel or restaurant, a 4 star review is fantastic. On Airbnb it's mediocre. Most people only give 5 star reviews when someone goes well beyond the call of duty, and so people who are new to Airbnb bring this mindset with them. It always makes me hesitant to accept guests with no past reviews. Not only does this mean that we as hosts are often penalised for what would be a fantastic review on any other website, but it means there's no way for guests to review you properly (aside from their written review, which quickly gets buried under the newest reviews) when you truly do go above and beyond to make their stay enjoyable.

Steve

@Steve2743 These comments are  beginning to zero in on the deficiencies of a flawed rating system.  I believe,  that with additional input by experienced Hosts and seasoned  Airbnb Executives we  will eventually tweak the rating system to reflect more accurately a fair and just one for Hosts as well as Guests. There are many variables that must be taken into account to get an accurate rating. The rating should not take into account a guest's; state of mind, health issues, or location of Airbnb. None of these is under the control of the Host. However, a Guest's review will be determined by every one of these factors. ( Host on Guest) No matter how much they try,  sometimes it just isn't a good fit!  This is not going to be easy, but it can be done! 

@Welcome0    I'd like to think it is possible, but so far I see no evidence Airbnb is listening or cares what we think about this system.  As someone here pointed out, the fact Airbnb uses the same star rating system as used by hotels is unfair.  We are not hotels. People are used to rating hotels based on features that are different from ours.  Five star hotels invariably offer things we cannot, such as spas, pools, gyms, excursions, restaurants, entertainment, room service etc.  By using the 5 star system guests understandably think in those same terms and are likely to compare our place to far more luxurious places they might have seen or visited.  Most of us can and do offer things hotels don't, and we should be judged on those things.  If Airbnb insists on using a ratings system it wold be better to use 1 through 10.  I have a feeling guests who give us a 4 in any area would likely give us a 9.

Airbnb should also ask general questions of a guest such as if they enjoyed their time in our city/location.  On a business or pleasure trip?  If the host went to special lengths to accommodate them (such as staying up past midnight to greet a delayed or late-arriving guest, or letting them stay hours past posted checkout time if they had a late flight).    Was there anything they especially liked? Disliked?

None of these things should affect the rating, but should be considered by Airbnb when sending us those little messages telling us negtove things guests told the.

Yes, @Mary0 Exactly! We are far different than a hotel. Would a hotel make multiple trips to the train station to pick up tired guests late at night?

Take guests to the grocery store to pick up MUNCHIES?

Serve hot soup to tired weary overseas travelers? 

Would a hotel help a family pack their SUV for 2 hours to make sure they can check  out timely? The guests with numerous children were packrats and so disorganized!   Besides,  I had to prep the place for a new arrival! 

Would a hotel offer to drive a guest to pick up or drop off a rental? Take them to a restaurant when it's raining?  Usually not! 

Yikes! I think, I'll  start writing my short stories,      "When Chaos Strikes!"

Most of our guests have been wonderful folks and left our Airbnb clean and tidy. However, we never forget the interesting characters. Hey, there is a human interest story behind each guest.... and also each host!

Maybe, if enough of us continue discussing the problem of the unjust rating system, it will get some attention. I like your 1-10.

The main features that Airbnb must be concerned about in their reviews: CLEANLINESS, SAFETY, COMPLIANCE. The rest of the DRESSING is up to the host. 

@Welcome0 That's the point - the rating system doesn't even include any "Extra Favor to the guest" option. And with guests' general approach of demanding, they will soon take it for granted. And we, hosts, will be reviewed 2/5* if we do not do all that extra stuff... Grrh! What a vision...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Philippa27
Level 3
Langebaan, South Africa

I totally agree with you. I think Airbnb should totally change the rating system. Its very upsetting when you do everything possible to make their stay perfect and you get 4 stars and they even tell you before they leave that they loved everything and want to come back. And then I have given them a 5 and feel sorry that I did cause they were a bit messy. 

If they were messy, they shouldn't get a rave review. Reviews are only meaningful, and therefore useful to all of us, if we do them honestly -- based on actual experience, not based on reciprocal good reviews. 

You can request that your review of the guest be removed. Do NOT take "No" for an answer; this merely indicates you're speaking with an agent is ignorant of the fact that hosts own the copyright to their reviews and can, at any time, request they be deleted. Airbnb has no legal control over the reviews and MUST remove them when requested by the author--including reviews by guests.

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.