Answered!
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How important is lighting to you?

9d40c05a-eba8-469d-9c9f-d08de30b9e9d.jpg

Hello everyone, 

One of the key roles of lighting in an interior setting is probably functionality. There are many types of lights, and most likely the lighting one picks needs to suit a purpose, whether that’s to act as decoration, create an atmosphere, or simply provide ample brightness. Some of you might also pay particular attention to how energy hungry a lighting fixture is (being environmentally-conscious here). 

Thinking about desks and other work areas, you might for example lean towards bright, task-specific lighting whereas in a cosy living room, you might explore more warm and atmospheric options … there’s a lot to consider!

How important is lighting to you?💡

What do you look for when choosing the right lighting for your home? 

Feel free to share photos of your designs!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

I've a bit of a sucker for style over substance. For me, lighting should be beautiful as well as practical and sometimes I have to remind myself to focus a bit more on the latter! 

I love chandeliers, and have them in almost every room of my house, even one one the bathrooms (you can just see a bit of it here) and yes, I have had this approved as legal for my electrical safety certificate. 

ffea3245-7ba2-4dfd-9758-0f3d9a86af32.jpg

In the living room, I have the most enormous chandelier. It's four foot high. When I bought it, the builders said, "You're not furnishing Buckingham Palace you know..." but with the high ceilings, I thought I could get away with it 🙂 On the ground floor, the ceilings are not very high, so apart from the chandeliers over the dining table (where no one is going to hit their head), I've had to go for flush lighting on the ceilings and wall lights.

On the practical side, I really think that a bedside lamp is an absolute must. Mine are quite pretty, but there are so many affordable options out there, I just don't understand any host that doesn't provide a bedside table and lamp.

On the less practical side, I also have some lights that are purely decorative. In one of the bedrooms, I have a cherry blossom light similar to the below trailing around the side of a mirror. It serves little purpose other than being pretty and I have added a couple of little (fake) birdies to the branches as the room has a little bit of a bird theme.

6aa132fe29d172b0ad829ea7b8e9f175--cherry-blossoms-blossom-trees.jpeg

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Vanessa1669
Level 3
Claremore, OK

Lighting is very important for work, pleasure, and is specific to the  general atmosphere you’re trying to create in the space.

Vanessa Mullings
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Absolutely @Vanessa1669! Do you review everything every now and then? 

-----

Not sure why I missed this but yes I do review after each visit to make sure the property is staged and cleaned appropriately. You can only expect what you inspect. This gives you the jump on addressing any issues before the next guest arrives.

Vanessa Mullings
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

To me lighting is extremely important, from mood to functionality. Really good interior designers are sticklers for perfection in lightning. I.e. places should provide comfortable spots to read, where lighting allows it. I have 13 of these lights everywhere in my listing (2 per every bed). They also have USB port for recharging phone/notepad.

.reading.jpg

Overhead lighting is notorious for being mood killers. Lately we been even adding slight color to our lightning in home, rental and even boats.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank for sharing @Fred13! How do you generate energy on Bird Island? 👀

-----

Solar. Today it is at 8 panels (1800w) + 12 Big Batteries (L16s).

Can run 20 LED lights + refrigerator + microwave + laptops, all except A/C (that requires generator).

IMG_20220523_185310915b.jpg  Polish_20220306_224438176b.jpg

The 2nd photo shows some of the colors we playing with; it is the 'colorful' tropics.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, that's some serious equipment @Fred13! Lovely lighting, I can tell the vibes must be amazing there 🤩

-----

Peggy-And-Mike0
Level 10
Georgia, United States

So glad you started this topic! I've had the hardest time finding an Airbnb to rent where there is a bedside table AND a lamp for each bedroom!! WHY do people cheap out and not provide them? UGH. I've been booking hotel rooms instead, which I hate to do as a long-time host. The same places that don't have beside lighting don't have lamps in the sofa area nor do they have seating for four when they advertise 4 guests. Those should be minimum requirements. 

Peggy, I was about to also include sitting in my answer to Quincy's inquiry. My sister is really an awesome interior decorator (now retired, but worked for/with the best for 50 years) and the first thing catches her eyes are lightning and sitting combinations.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no @Peggy-And-Mike0! I hope you'll find a place that does have those things! 

-----

Thanks for this comment! I’m still new at this and have seating for all and lamps on tables-  except the reading lights at the beds. Such an easy improvement!! I’ll do it immediately! 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome @April448! I'm glad to hear you found Peggy & Mike's feedback helpful! If you tag @Peggy-And-Mike0 as I just did, she will be able to see your comment 😃

-----

@Peggy-And-Mike0  I agree with you!! I have side tables and lamps in all of my Airbnb's, as well as in my own home. To be honest, I do not use my side lamps at home..  However, I do have them for my guests convenience and because I like them to be part of the decor! With Airbnb I have learned so much about how important or unimportant lighting can be to different people or how we use lighting in a space. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Quincy 

Very important. I ended up going with all LED. The overhead can lights are are dimmable, for living area, bedroom and bathroom. Guest all like different brightness and one of the details that I think contribute to very positive reviews. 

The bedroom and couch have wall mounted old school lamps with articulating arms. The bedroom is so small that it works. Guest even mention how spacious it is in the reviews when its only 9 feet wide. Also beside the couch the same wall mounted lights with switch. A lot of guest turn one light off. 

When I was renovating this I first purchased hanging chandelier type lighting that was 75% off but so glad I returned them all and went with the overhead can lights. 

Used LED strips under the counters. They only came with the plug, and I wanted direct wiring. Funny story, as I was looking at them trying to configure a plug or if I could just cut the plug, I happened to ask the person next to me at Lowes and he was one of the stars from reality show Moonshiners. I was like, wait a minute, I recognize that voice! LOL.. 

Also outdoor lighting is important. I only have one light by the door but it works. Also guest suggested lighting for the drive so I added that. I don't really like outside lighting but they love it. Even that is tricky to get the right temp and not too bright, but there are a lot of options. 

Oh my electric bill has gone down and was already very efficient. It was the exact same. The lights use almost no power, even though there are 23 total. The added insulation and ductless AC /heat actually reduced the energy consumption. 

apartment lighting.jpeg23467261_1837894742905426_2044290555542643753_o.jpeg44977631_2292262310801998_2741577590400614400_n.jpeg45049717_2292262267468669_7314795729946411008_n.jpeg