How long does it take before you get your first guests?

Helen363
Level 2
Tampa, FL

How long does it take before you get your first guests?

Hello and God bless everyone,  my name is Helen I'm new hosting, I don't know how long it takes for your first guest to reserve your place.

18 Replies 18
Richard152
Level 4
Bath, United Kingdom

Hi Helen,

You will get your first booking eventually, and then it will start to get popular with more and more bookings.

Consider attracting your first guests by making it really cheap to book, and then you will get good reviews if your property is nice.

Make sure you have the most attractive pics.

Put yourself into the shoes of lookers, and ask yourself "Does this property excite me enough to want to book?"

Make it happen!

Regards,

Richard

Fieldgate

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Richard152,

I love the great reply that you've given to Helen! I also wanted to take some time to show you a quick trick. Did you know that if you use the (@) sign, a drop-down menu will all names of those involved in that thread will appear? In this drop-down menu, you can then select the person you wish to mention in a post (@Helen363 in this case).

I hope you find this helpful! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thanks Quincy!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen363,

Welcome to the Community Center!

I just want to let you know that I've moved your post to the hosting board as I think more people might be interested in this. I was also wondering if you had the chance to see the @Richard152's great reply?

-----

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

Hey there @Helen363 i want to say it took me 4-6 months to get my first booking. I updated my photos consistently, adjusted my prices and finally got a fantastic reservation last Christmas and New Years. Only gotten better since then. Good luck!!

colleen

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

HI @Helen363 and @Colleen47@Richard152@Quincy, I have a few ideas for you. First of all, I think there is a strong seasonality to this business and you might consider lowering your price for the first month or so to get some bookings. The comparison units which come up next to yours are cheaper per bed/ per person so if you lower your price I think you'll get some bookings. You can raise it when you have several good reviews!  

Since you're so near the airport, have you considered expanding your checkin options to include a self-check in with a key in a keybox?  I use this and it comes in handy quite often since people can check in anytime.

The other thing is I think I'd make a few changes to your photos. People want to see the bed before they see the shower and closet - I'd put that second or third.  Add some more color to each photo to grab the eye - red is best. Red towels in the kitchen, maybe a red bowl with green apples on the counter. Colorful pillows or cushions on the bed. The photo of the white patio furniture is nice but a bit blurry - and it's confusing that you say the unit is no smoking yet you allow smoking there.  I'd put a colorful shower curtain up and maybe some colorful towels and then take the photo of the bathroom again. Some people are fussy about closing the toilet seat (I'm not one of them, but you never know!). The photos of the outdoor space could be a bit more inviting - put away or wind up the hoses, take the photo from an angle which doesn't include the trash cans, and maybe put up a few plants and cushions on the furniture. 

Hope that helps and good luck hosting!  Susie

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is great advice @Susie5!

@Helen363, I was wondering if you've seen Susie's feedback? Please let us know 🙂 

-----

@Quincy, thanks!! I appreciate the nice feedback!  Susie

@Helen363, you are doing a very smart thing in asking other hosts for help with your listing.

I have learned so many things from the more experienced people who have been very generous with their advice.

Keep asking questions here, and look through the other discussions. It is like an advanced course in hosting!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Helen313

Hello and Welcome.

This is a slow season, so it will take awhile to get your first booking.

I am happy you have God in your life and that you are proud of this.

However, as you present yourself, a stranger will be afraid to book with you.

As a guest, I do not want to be proselytized or evangelized. Your blurp suggests that may be a risk with you.

You can be a proud Christian in a quiet way that welcomes and celebrates all guests' religions and beliefs

Best of luck.

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

As a Christian myself, I do agree with @Paul154. Also, @Helen363 there is a picture that shows your first and last name (crochet tag?) and I would recommend removing that just to be on the safe side. Only booked guests get access to our full name. Better to just have your first name available in your profile and no other details that would a stranger browsing Airbnb additional information on your identity/location.

Tampa is a nice location (and a warm one) so if you make some changes as suggested by others I imagine you will see a booking in a month or two. For reference, I got my first booking after 2-3 weeks in Los Angeles over the summer.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Helen363  a couple of things pop out at me righ5 away. Straighten up the backyard and dump the extra things sitting around the yard like the old window screen, the cantilever umbrella stand and rake the ground clean. A big bag of rye grass seed cost $20 at homedepot, buy a bag and spread it around to fill in the dirt patches. Seriously for the time being, I would get rid of the backyard picture altogether. I also think you need to be more realistic about the rate you are charging. At $150 a night, I’m looking at your listing and thinking ‘where’s the value?’. Two important details you nailed are 1. Be very clean 2.Be bright and cheery. Good luck ‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’. 

Agatha18
Level 1
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania

Hi am Agatha!  Thanks for the help deares.

Am from Tanzania in one of a village in kilimanjaro it is very interior and very local. I am wondering if it's possible to get the guests.   

@Agatha18 just consider yourself very lucky that you are very close to Mount Kilimanjaro. Take this opportunity you have been given by airbnb to  promote your place of stay. Start hosting mountain trekkers and you might be surprised to find your home is not as remote as you think. This is what i am promoting back in Kenya;Hosting adventure lovers in our place of stay.