How low should you GO!!! -- New Host, Multiple Guest Request Lower Price Is this a new trend?

Tee213
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

How low should you GO!!! -- New Host, Multiple Guest Request Lower Price Is this a new trend?

Hi Airbnb Community! I recently listed my town home and I definitely under estimated the time it takes to prepare a home for high end hosting. I feel strongly that I have set the listing up for round one success, but please browse my listing and offer sound advice. 

I did and continue to do my weekly research on trends and standards and feel I set my price correctly; slightly below similar established listing in my area. After being concerned with low bookings, I've lowered it even more. With all the consideration to price and being a newbie I still get  inquires requesting lower nightly rates and lower or no cleaning fee. After hosting my first guest I have full respect for the cleaning fee, the laundry alone was laborious. 

I did lower my price by $11 for one guest and he ended up being difficult to host. My initial reaction to the "lower price" requests are, ummm no, but I would like insight on when lowering the price is appropriate. 

Thank you in advance!

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tee213  Personally, I don't think lowering your price is ever appropriate. You sound like someone who isn't going into this blind- you've done your research and know what similar places are charging. You'll likely put your price up during holidays and events and lower it during slow times, but that's your decision, based on what the market will bear, not for a guest to dictate.

If you spend some time on these forums you will learn that guests who start off asking for discounts, for you to bend your rules for them, or anything else of that nature, end up being problematic guests. Red flag guests. You found that out for yourself already and it won't change. By asking you to accommodate their budget or needs, rather than looking for a place they can afford and houses the number of guests they want to book for, they are showing you that they are disrespectful and entitled, and this won't change during their stay. And once you make exceptions for them, it emboldens them to expect even more special treatment.

The only time I would think it appropriate to make a special price offer is if you had a guest who had already stayed with you, you found them to be a great guest who you would welcome back, and they wanted to come back for an extended period of time. Then you might offer them a special price if you felt like it.

That guy you got who brought more people than he booked for, wanted to get in early after a last-minute booking,  and who you gave a discount to seems like a real piece of work. He claimed he didn't want to bother you during the stay, because he didn't want to seem like a complainer, then wrote a public review full of complaints. It's really too bad he mentioned in his review that you gave him a discount, as that will encourage future guests to ask for that as well. Just answer guests if they ask about that, something like " Yes, I did offer one guest a discount when I first started hosting, as I wanted to attract guests, but now that I am established, my price is firm and in line with what I offer." 

And Tee, never write, as you did, in a public response or a review that you reimbursed a guest for a non-working appliance, or anything else. By doing that, you are just setting yourself up for future guests to come up with complaints, expecting a refund. If thre was something not working and the guest mentions it in a public review, your response should just make it clear that you did attend to it ASAP, it has been fixed, and that it is no longer an issue.

Tee213
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

@Sarah977  thank you thank you thank you! I was completely caught off guard with that particular guest and he was literally my second guest I hosted.

I genuinely strive to provide my guest with the type of environment I would desire for myself. Detailing the refund was a rookie attempt to express my willingness to help so other guest know they matter. 

I fully understand and appreciate your perspective. My goal is to bounce back with more experience and hopefully leave that hosting flop in the past.

Again thank you for the insight, greatly appreciated!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tee213 I'm sure you'll do fine. It's a big learning curve and I've learned so much on these forums- make sure to read here often, not just post when you have an issue- it's really invaluable what we learn from other hosts.

And I think you just had a really unlucky set of circumstances- a jerky, entitled guest and your washing machine and water heater having problems (which can happen to any of us) at the same time, just giving him more fuel for complaints. A nicer, more adaptable guest might have just rolled with it, considering you did all you could to get it working again.

@Tee213  I agree with all of what @Sarah977 said.

People asking for discounts is definitely not a recent trend - actually it was a lot more rampant in the early days of Airbnb, when everything was more casual and Craigslisty.  These days, the bargain hunters are mostly targeting the new hosts, with the expectation that they'll be desperate for some business and easier to manipulate than the experienced hosts with lots of reviews. 

I think over time two things will happen for you:  discount-seekers will bypass you for the next round of newer hosts, and you'll develop a stronger sense of what to look for in the pre-booking correspondence. (I don't recommend activating Instant Book when you're still getting started, as it's far easier to decline a questionable request than to cancel an uncomfortable booking). You're already off to a good start - you have a well-written listing with elegant photos, and a clear concise set of rules, all of which communicate that you bring professionalism to hosting. I recommend adding to your rules an unambiguous policy about unregistered guests/visitors; best is to strictly forbid them on your listed rules, even if you're privately willing to make exceptions on a case-by-base basis. 

Thank you Andrew! Currently adding the unregistered guest rule. "Manipulated" is a great choice of word. I received a significant amount of request for discounts that alarmed me enough to reach out to the community to find out if it was acceptable behavior. I appreciate the feedback!

Good to know I'm not flopping completely at this! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Sometimes I really wish other people could leave a public response to a guest review.

"Gee dude, not only did you manage to wangle a discount on your booking, when the appliances went on the blink and the host did all she could to get them working again as quickly as possible and even refunded you some money for the inconvenvenience, you still found it necessary to leave a public review full of complaints for a new host doing her best, while stating that you didn't want to appear like a complainer. Must have been really rough to have to take a shower in the second bathroom."

Chill-and-Relax0
Level 10
Ewa Beach, HI

@Tee213 

Feel free to modify the below template according to your needs and use it whenever you encounter bargain seekers. 

"Aloha, and thank you for your inquiry!

We take pride in our listing and work hard to price it fairly and competitively, which is why we do not offer discounts.

However, we approved your inquiry, so if you decide to book at a current price, we'll be happy to host you if you wish to stay here."

@Chill-and-Relax0 thank you for this gem!!!  Concise, direct, yet still encourages and welcomes the guest to book! 

Deborah350
Level 7
Grafton, Australia

"Thank you for considering my listing. I feel we offer excellent value for the accommodation and amenities we offer. I think that if you keep looking you are sure to find something that is with in your budget"