How mange concerns over a guest background?

Arpith1
Level 1
Norwalk, CT

How mange concerns over a guest background?

Say you have guest who has booked a long stay and you are concerned about the person's ID legitimacy. How do you deal with such concerns?

7 Replies 7
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Arpith1 do you mean you're concerned about a guest's profile that says it has been verified with ID by Airbnb, or your guest has arrived at your place and you have asked to see ID and it's not legitimate? 

I would be concerned about a long term guest booking also. You're a brand new host with no reviews and your listing dispenses information with an eye dropper. It says you're hosting a private room, but then says the only bed is in a common area. Your pics show no furniture. It says you're pet friendly, but does that mean that you have a pet, or they're allowed to bring pets, or both? After looking over your listing, I have absolutely no idea what to expect if I were to stay with you. I am not sure how someone would decide to book with you based on your listing - especially making a long-term booking. Scammers and bad guests often target new hosts, and I would definitely engage in a conversation with this person so you get an idea of who they are and why they chose your listing to figure out how you wish to proceed. If it's an instant booking you can cancel penalty free if you're not comfortable. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Great advice @Alexandra316 

@Alexandra316 Thanks for the great inputs and advise :). I will consider them and do as necessary.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Arpith1 

Great communication is the key to hosting access.

Good communication sets the stage for a trust and safety experience. 

Communicating with guests is a critical aspect of the host role because it is the basis of the trust and confidence necessary in the relationship between host and guest.

Do ask your guest as much questions as you concern,

‘What’s brings you to town?’

‘ Do you like dogs?’

You can request the guest present original I’d during check in and give you a copy that you can able keep it.The next step, you can reconsider to pass the apartment key or not. You definitely can manage as you are staying with guests the shared apartment.

I wish you’ve a good experience with the long term guest.
Happy Hosting 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Excellent Advice @Dale711 

I will take confidence now to assert to myself that I do not need to pass keys to someone that I'm uncomfortable with. Great reminder!!

But I visualise all guests being super lovely.....

According to the Guest Refund Policy,  Airbnb considers it a "Travel Issue" eligible for a full refund if the host

"fails to provide the Guest with the reasonable ability to access the Accommodation (e.g. does not provide the keys and/or a security code)."  [1 (a)]

If you don't have 24 hour desk service and are not willing to provide keys to the guest, you have to cancel the booking. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Don't book long stays with Airbnb. Simple as that.

Long stays are a landlording situation. Landlords run credit and background checks to ensure their tenants are who they say they are with a reliable payment history. Landlords have leases in place outlining terms. Landlords have laws and procedures for eviction. Airbnb has NONE of those things. You are flying blind here. Are you really willing to open up your biggest investment to a stranger indefinitely? Do a search on "Airbnb squatter" and read what can happen.

Just.Say. NO NO NO NO to anything over a 27 night stay. Even that is risky as only half of the payment is collected up front.