How many emails do you send your guests?

Denise741
Level 2
Puerto Peñasco, Mexico

How many emails do you send your guests?

I've read it's better to send more emails that are shorter before arrival to keep excitement up, and then the ones during and after their vacation.  How many is too many?

Upon booking I had been sending some basic welcome  (+2 pages resort rules) info which actually adds up to 4.5 printed pages.  I also include links to an FAQ page on my website,  link to pdf for favorite restaurants/things to do and link to my house manual.

I want to break that into maybe 3 smaller emails--Upon booking, 2 weeks out, 1 week out.

Then what do you do after arrival? I always do a follow up the next morning (prevents the bad reviews that xyz was broken for 5 days!), are the others overkill?

1. A quick note that evening to welcome them?
  2. The next day to make sure all is going well? (CRITICAL!!)
  3. Day before checkout to remind of c/o policies, time, etc ?
  4. Day after c/o to request a review.

Thanks for all input--this should be interesting!

17 Replies 17

I typically send a guest 5 to 6 messages. Almost all my guests are leave reviews and almost all the reviews are 5 stars and mention how great my communication is (see my profile).  Note, although I live nearby, I don't meet 99.9% of my guests so all my communication is via Airbnb's messaging system.

These are the messages I've found that work really well.  You'll see most of them are automated which saves a ton of time but the key is to write the messages in a way that the guest doesn't know the messages are automated.

1. I send a custom message when the guest makes the reservations, thanking them for the reservation and letting them know I will send them the check-in instructions a 2 days before check-in
  2. An automated message with the check-in details (parking, lockbox code, wifi, etc.) at 5pm 2 nights before they arrive.
  3. An automated message at 10am their first morning (only if the reservation is 2 nights or longer) asking them if they have everything they need.
  4. An automated message at 5pm the night before they leave reminding them that they check-out tomorrow and asking them to wash their dishes and to not forget to leave the key in the lockbox.
  5. An automated 5-star review and automated message 1 day after they check out thanking them for staying at my place and letting them know I left them a 5-star review.  The message doesn't send if the guest has left a review.
  6. An automated message 12 days after check-out letting them know how important reviews are to us and that it would mean a lot to us if they left a review.  Again, this message only sends if the guest hasn't already left a review.

There are a lot of tools available to help with automating messages and reviews.  I've used them all and they're all basically the same.

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Yeesh,  As a frequent AirBNB guest myself, I'd be SUPER annoyed if I received multiple messages from my host like some have described.  I'm on vacation - I don't want to feel like I'm 'checking in with the office' every 24 hours.  

I send two messages:

1) A personalized hello, and thanks for booking with me - I ask if they'll be needing parking during their stay.

2) After they respond, I send the check-in instructions depending on their needs (parking/no parking.)

That's it.  I never meet my guests, I'm off-site.  I don't ask how their stay is - if they need something, they're more than capable of reaching out.  I've noticed that older guests do seem to want/need a little more conversation, and I'm happy to oblige if they reach out first.  Otherwise, I leave my guests alone.  It suits most people it seems, no complaints yet!  

Edited to add:  I would NEVER ask for a review.  I think it's tacky - they're already reminded by AirBNB anyway.  If you did a great job as a host, people will take the time to say so.

Denise741
Level 2
Puerto Peñasco, Mexico

FYI--This article was in my inbox today...  https://www.smartbnb.io/blog/how-to-communicate-with-short-term-rental-guests/   

They recommend ---7--- emails for visits under a week  (plus a couple more reminders if they don't review you).  Wowza! 

The system wouldn't allow me to add the photo, so the infogram is here :    https://www.smartbnb.io/content/images/2019/08/Host-to-guest-communication-flow-Smartbnb-Get-Paid-fo...