How many stars should I give this guest?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How many stars should I give this guest?

Hi everyone, recent guest was pleasant and clean however had three "offences"

1. Gave property address, door code and my phone number to someone local who was going to "cook for them" without asking me

2. Did not respond to any communication prior to arrival but started calling nonstop starting 9 pm the night before with all sort of questions. Last phone call came at 6 am on the day of departure "just to let you know we left". At some point I did explain that this is not a hotel, I just own the place and have a family and kids and while happy to respond to odd hour emergencies, would kindly ask to communicate through the app for everything else. He continued calling.

3. This one maybe silly to some, but he asked me to modify reservation and cut his stay short without any please or thank you at the last minute. So basically I gave him a gift of money (I was not able to rebook). And when I give someone money I do expect either please or thank you (just so you guys know any case I give you any)

So three stars or fewer?

27 Replies 27
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Inna0  Oh, I really do not like the fact that he gave the code out to someone unknown to you. That is a major security breach. The other issues seem minor in comparison.

Three stars and Guest better suited to hotel, but no Thumbs down, would be the way I would go.

I don’t like that, either. Did you specifically say in your house rules/description/listing what the rules are with regards to that? Like my rule is, no unauthorized guests are allowed in my house, other than my friends/guests bc it’s my house, of course, but my AirBnB guests aren’t allowed to bring ppl in here that are not included in their party to stay here. 

Youd think that would be common sense when you are a guest in someone’s home, but it gets a little tricky when it’s a PAYING guest, you follow what I’m saying? The lines/rules get a little blurry unless you spell it out for them sometimes. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Inna, I agree with Rebecca if the guest is new to Air BNB and has a learning curve to navigate the shared economy versus hotel experience.  If the is a guest that has stayed in several Air BNB places, I would give him a thumbs down for the security breach.  Harsh, yes, but that sense of entitlement is dangerous.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi Inna,

did Your guest trash Your place, break Your plates, was he loud, did he leave a mess? No.

4*, this guest may be on a learning curve as Linda suggests.

Hi Inna

I think the lack of communication deserves a three or less stars. So annoying expecting someone to arrive and having to wait for them. Recently had person book and request early check in, we worked hard to get house ready and got message around check in time that they'd actually be late but no mention of time. Eventually arrived 6 hours later than had said. When checking out came they were two hours late leaving. It ruined our weekend. Most of us have families, other jobs and I insist that all contact be on the app even though we live next door. No communication despite being contacted is a definite no for me and other hosts should know. 

Paul

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I'd rate 2 stars on communication, with private feedback on the "offenses" ... Too bad there's no "thumbs sideways."

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I break my review into three parts:

Thumbs up/down (I do wish there was a middle ‘Meh’ choice) So, is this person so bad that no host anywhere should have to deal with them? Thumbs Down, otherwise up. 

Stars : no need to sugar coat these. Would I want them back? 4/5 Would I not? 3/2/1

Text: some hosts care about past reviews & some don’t. Here I’m trying to help the ones who care “shortened stay by 1 day, unauthorized visitors granted access to property, extensive off-platform communication, perhaps more suited to hotels or hotel-like listings”

I wouldn't ding them on shortening their stay. You didn't have to agree. Failing to say thank you falls under communication.

you are right about that however I always feel like I have to because then I risk a negative review

I agree with Kelly 100%

I love the review suggestion : “shortened stay by 1 day, unauthorized visitors granted access to property, extensive off-platform communication, perhaps more suited to hotels or hotel-like listings”

communication 2*, house rules 2* ... you don't want them back , right? 🙂

I agree with Kelly's review. I'd given the guest a 3*. Personally I wouldn't want back a person who calls me at 6 am and disregards the fact that he's been told to use the app. And one who gives the security code to someone else. That is horrible!

Luckily, there's this feature on my phone like total silence and the phone won;t ring at all except for the alarm that I set. But if he woke me up, I would be mad.

That's elemetary gesture of being polite and respecting someon's sleep, not learning curve! That's being polite. I dont care if it's his first AIrbnb. He knows he is in someone else's house and that he is not calling the reception desk. 

I don;t know but when I stay in ABBs I treat it like my firend;s house. Would I call my friend at 6am to tell her I'm leaving? No! 

Also I wouldn't press any of the thumbs (up or down) for this guy. He wasn't horrible just not polite and wouldn't want him back. My 2 cents.

*** so other hosts get the message!

I was even thinking one of these days we put a shame list of the serial offenders so we don't get repeat offensive guests! 

The ones that send 25 plus messages in one stay will give low stars to hosts, it that pattern of behaviour! but the host gave so much

I second that emotion.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

The security breach would be his kiss of death to me. Forget the rest. Thumbs down best suited to a hotel. You're in Chicago for heaven sake, who knew if this "chef" was ligit. Did he do a background check on the guy? Where did he find him? He could have robbed you blind and the guest says "We didn't do it!"