How many towels per person per stay?

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

How many towels per person per stay?

This isn't a biggie, but how do hosts handle the towel issue? I have luxuriant towels that take ages to dry in the dryer. I've noticed that if I put out 8 for 4 people--even for 2 nights--usually more than 4 will be used. However, if I just put the 4 for 4 people, that seems to work.

I've had a couple of 2 night stays (3 people each time) and they both mentioned having more towels.

I have a lot of towels, so that's not the problem. It's the time it takes to do a load (and even then I can't do many at a time). I also want to keep the ones I have nice for as long as possible, hence I'd rather not wash them and wear them out too quickly. I don't cheap out on them--I get very high quality--but I don't want them to wear out quickly.

Personally I think 1 big towel and hand towel for a 2 night stay is fine. Any thoughts?

38 Replies 38
Raquel13
Level 10
Miami, FL

I think that 1 of each bath/hand/washcloth is enough for several days, although I always add 1-2 extras. Besides, since there is a washer and drier in the apartment, if guests want fresh towels, they can wash them. I used to place lots of extra towels but I found that oftentimes guests would not use all of them and would leave several neatly folded on the towel rack.  However, while the folded towels looked clean, I could not assume they were actually clean, and I ended up having to wash them.  Nowadays,  I'm more conservative and leave less towels.  And yes, I also buy luxurious towels (included the luxe ones from Italy).

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Yes, in the real world, one towel for two days would be fine.  However, whilst the old school Airbnb guests expected the conditions to be more like home than a hotel and actually relished this, the demographic has now changed.  

My observation is that many guests now play only the most cursory lipservice to the desire for an authentic travel experience.  In reality, the Airbnb ethos has disappeared into the ether.   What the bulk of current guests really want is a hotel-like experience at an absurdly cheap price.  Whilst they might seek to portray themselves as edgy when regaling their fellow dinner party guests with tales of their peripatetic, authentic, 'live like a local' Airbnb adventures - at the end of the day, this is not what many want.  

To stay ahead of the pack you'll need to offer 2 towels per person per day.  Don't panic, many guests won't use anything like this quantity.   However, for those guests who expect to bathe like it's the Mandarin Oriental, an inadequate towel stash robs their entire experience of any vestige of joy, and those vile stars will reflect this.  So, my advice is to cram as many towels into each room as it will reasonably hold and just let guests help themselves.

@Louise0 "peripatetic adventures", "Mandarin Oriental". "vile stars". You have such a way with words. If I ever make it to New South Wales, I want to be your dream guest. You should start stocking up on towels now...    🙂

Wow @Louise0 that's a lot of towels!

@Eileen4 I'm totally with @Raquel13

We have had hundreds of guests stay and we always leave 1 towel per person for the entirety of their stay plus 1 or 2 extras, assuming there might be one or two people that like a second. And 99% of the time, the extras are not used! If guests are staying longer than say 5 days we leave two towels per guest plus a few extras for them to use as they like. I have only had two guests ask for more towels. One wanted an extra hand towel and the other wanted a smaller towel for her hair. Maybe we've just gotten lucky but if guests have hotel expectations (unlimited towels, room service, 24 hour concierge service) then they should stay in a hotel.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

A lot of towels, yes, but not a lot of laundry.  Most guests use 1 towel a day, if that.

What do you think about sustainability?   I am considering placing a card in the bathroom with the below wording and a nice image.  How do you think guests will respond?  

We invite you to join with us to conserve by using your towels more than once!!

In addition to decreasing water and energy consumption, you help us reduce the amount of consumption of detergent waste water that must be recycled within our community.

75% of your fellow guests have participated in our reuse program.  If you would like to join your fellow guests, please reuse your towels.

We pride ourselves on a number of environmentally friendly features at the Tower!!  To save energy and water see our reflective curtains, blinds, programmable thermostat, high efficiency HVAC system, low flow shower head, LED and fluorescent light bulbs!! 

Thank you for helping us make your future greener and brighter!!!

Jay120
Level 5
Criccieth, United Kingdom

@Kim23 The sustainability angle is cool. Thumbs up from me! I would love to know what response you receive to that.

Hi Everyone!

I am a newbie host in Wales, UK and I am afraid I do not generally include any towels, but request people bring their own! I only provide towels for hand-washing in shared areas like the bathroom and kitchen as a rule. I also repeat "Bring your own beach towels" in one section of the description, because we are directly on the ocean and I simply cannot be washing and drying two-three-four towels per person per day! I actually do all washing at the launderette, dry on a clothes line outside and air indoors. I only machine dry at the laundrette when I have no clean laundry left and/or the weather is inclement but need to make up the bed immediately.

However I do make an exception when hosting international guests, walkers/hikers or bikers. Indeed anyone "traveling light" from necessity can help themselves to a towel from the stack. It is on open shelves in the shower room alongside all my own shower, hair, make-up, dental products and hair driers, etc. which anyone is free to use if they so wish. I notice people chose two hand towels each as a rule. Unusual for them to use a face flannel or the small individual hand-towels on the basin. How often they are replaced by a new one seems to depend on how wet they get and how quickly they dry out ready for next time.

Am I being mean? I don't think so and nobody has mentioned it yet, but as I have only had a few guests thus far, I may just have struck lucky! I offer a room with a view, no breakfast, no cooking facilities, no tv, no internet, no shared living space, no eating in bedroom, etc. In other words a very basic sleeping space (allbeit with stunning view and sunny aspect in the Master Bedroom) with a shared shower room and WC. I am an old lady in an old house, so all the young whipper-snappers who have been my guests thus far have all been very kind and accommodating of me and my little ways. I may be wrong, but I think the key has been communication and setting out exactly what to expect and the limitations. They then accept on my terms, not hazy preconceptions. I sometimes get really upset about unfair comments left on other host's pages, berating them for what they already pointed out in their description! If something does not sound like it will suit, why chose to stay there? It comes back to penny-pinching and boorish behaviour learned from some pretty defamatory TV series which are teaching people to be utterly rude and inconsiderate of other people's feelings. I will be gutted when it happens to me, because it is bound to sooner or later! 😞

Debbie393
Level 1
Durban North, South Africa

I provide 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel for my guests.   They  the same towels for 3 nights - I change the towels on the 4th day.  I have  a special towel rack in the bedroom which, if used correctly will air and dry the towel for the next use.

We went through stringent water and energy restrictions, so this will have to do.  My guests do not complain about it.

Very well said thank you. Made me take a pause and breath. I guess I have been spolied by my guests who required very little and are low maintenance. 

I have 2 guests staying 6 days 5 nights, with and additional guest for one night.  I left 6 large towels, 4 medium towels, 4 hand towels and four wash cloths. They just asked for more towels, they have 2 nights left!

My first thought was, do they understand this is an airbnb not a hotel!! after reading your answer I feel better. When I get home from work I wil bring them fresh towels with a smile on my face!

Jillie1
Level 10
Harrogate, United Kingdom

Doesn't anyone every consider global warming from all the washing and drying?!  I'm astounded.

Jay120
Level 5

@Jillie1 I certainly do consider environmental impact, but sadly many guests do not! I also require guests to bring their own towels (against AirBnb guidelines) because I want them to reduce the carbon footprint of their stay. I do all my laundry at a launderette and hang it up to dry at home. I use driers maybe once or twice a year... i.e. those times it is just impossible to get it all done in good time for new arrivals. I have no time for pampered people and do not encourage them to stay with me! The ones who land here by mistake are few and far between. I can thank them for all my missing stars! LOL!

Jillie1
Level 10

I just have been staggered by the people currently staying.  On Sunday they had the washer/dryer on from about 8.00 a.m. - 2 pm with just a short break for lunch.  I was alerted to this by the noise of clanging around 8.30 a.m. (from a belt/coins?)  (It was a warm day and I provide a clothes horse.)  When I started to smell a scorched smell and heat emanating up the stairs later I decided to investigate the laundry room which is half way between 2 flats on the stairs.  On opening the dryer door I found two very small items of underwear spinning around on their own practically mellting!  I was so amazed and also very worried that any further use would break both machines so I later locked the door and have now taken the facility off my listing.  Fortunately there is a launderette just at the end of the road so when the guests asked me for the key last night for some more loads, I told them & recommended they go there.  They didn't like it of course and I suspect will not give me a favourable review & I'll lose my "Superhost status" but I feel totally abused as well as concerned about why people need to wash things every other day?!     P.S.  I had another recent lot who had left chewing gum, paperclips, tissues, coins in their pockets - all of which I found in the new tumble dryer filter!  Grrrr!! 

Jay120
Level 5

How horrible, Jillie. I really feel for you. Especially on lost super host, but hopefully others will not penalise you for petty issues. I'm afraid people are going totally OTT about hygiene, whether washing clothes or themselves. I'm horrified at these levels of "cleanliness" which are actually making people ill, never mind killing the planet. Our immune systems are on overload, but the chemicals being released into the environment... I'm particularly mindful of washing detergents which should not be released into water courses. Living on the coast, ALL our grey water goes directly into the sea... I think they should acutally be banned, but where is the political will? I have now put a one shower per day per person note up and remind each guest we save energy and water in this house! I do not provide towels or any laundry facilities because I myself have no washing machine. Like you, there is a launderette close by, so they can go and use that! It concentrates minds when they are paying per load... 😉

Jillie1
Level 10

Well said Jay!  Totally agree.