How much do YOU want to know when a host leaves a bad review for a guest?

Donna222
Level 2
Millbrook, NY

How much do YOU want to know when a host leaves a bad review for a guest?

I have a house that I'm renovating that has an apartment/suite on it separated with a two car garage in between.  The main part of the house is under renovation.  It is closed up, and I never work on it while guests are there. The suite was the first thing I renovated.  I'm talking repairing walls, replacing appliances, installing a washer and dryer (outlets, pipes, etc.), repairing busted pipes that froze during the winter, repairing walls, painting, repairing floors, etc.  I do NOT charge a cleaning fee.  I know there would be an argument that I should do so, but we have our own feelings and theories on it - whether we're right or wrong, I don't know, but I'm doing this to pay for medical treatment for my daughter that isn't covered by insurance (I know, more information than you need), so running the AirBnb is very important to me for my daughter's life.  I clean like mad and do all the right things for my guests.  I've let things go regarding guests quite a few times despite the fact that my house rules have been broken or maybe there's a mess that shouldn't be left, but the latest guest - I just felt my heart drop when I walked in after he left.  This guest violated all but one rule in my house rules.  If it had just been maybe one thing or two, I don't think I would be this angry.

He booked for two guests, stated he was traveling to fix cell towers due to tornadoes we had here and had his foreman with him.  He then tells me that his girlfriend is going to meet him there. It's obvious he had three guests (or more) and didn't book for three.  On his last day there, he asked me if he could have an extra hour and a half AT checkout time.  I allowed him to do so since I didn't have another booking that day.  He told me how much he loved my place, and asked me how long I was going to keep the AirBnb open so he could book again.

The garage, which is not part of the AirBnb rental, was used.  My garage door was tampered with and was disconnected from the garage door opener so they could manually open it since the way to open it was in the other garage where they had no access  When I arrived at my AirBnb, the garage door was two inches off the ground and left that way...with a pile of cigarettes laying right outside the door. There were matches that had been lit and dropped onto the floor of the garage.  The garage was doused with cologne and smelled like a bar...cheap cologne, stale cigarettes, and alcohol.  I'm sure the cologne was used in an attempt to cover up the smell.

At this point, I have to mention that I leave paper towels, dish soap, dish cloths, and dish towels on the premises.   I walked into the kitchen and was greeted to a pile of dishes that were "washed" (I use this term loosely as there was smegma on everything, and I had to rewash it all).  Whatever they dripped on the kitchen table was left on it.  I opened the refrigerator which had a strange bluish purple substance on it that took some time to remove, and a pot I left there was in it and closed.  I opened it to find a picked chicken with one of my knives in it...along with 5 out of 6 beer bottles left as well.  There was egg yolk on the oven, and grease dripping from the rack to the bottom.  The drip pans that had been spotless were also not clean.  I do expect some of these things, but bear with me on this....

I looked into the living room, and there was an empty bag and dryer sheet on the floor.  This wouldn't cause me to write a bad review in itself, but as I moved forward to the main bedroom, that is when my heart sank.

It was trashed.  I mean, trashed.  A heavy wood, antique dresser was drug across the hardwood floors and moved six feet away to the window (I have a rule stating not to move the furniture due to floor scratching).  I can't understand the reasoning behind this being done. There was no way to get to the window or walk in between it around the bed.  On top of it, a wet towel, brown bag like is used at liquor stores, and a packet of chicken gravy.  The end tables had odd green stuff stuck on them (I have a rule about not eating in the beds- there's a table in the kitchen where people can eat).  There were glass marks on the end tables (also state to use the coasters I provide).  Also, an empty bottle of energy drink...five hours, to be exact.

The end table on the other side of the bed was moved forward.  As I made my way to that side of the bed, I note the laundry basket from the other bedroom closet was on that side turned upside down on the floor.  I looked behind the end table, and my lamp that had been on the end table was on the floor.  I picked up the end table to move it, and there were empty water bottles and garbage on the floor.  The decorative pillows were tossed on the floor and under the bed and had greasy looking finger prints on them.

Then, I look to the right because there is something odd going down the wall and on the heater....as I move things out of the way to see what this is, I realize it's some sort of melted green and chocolate ice cream (my guess is mint chocolate chip).  It's on the wall, down the baseboard heater, and puddled onto the floor...and just left there...on the hardwood floors.  As I'm removing the bed sheets, and cleaning everywhere and moving furniture back BY MYSELF with TITANIUM IN MY SPINE, I see MORE ice cream on the hardwood floors and on the living room wall.

My rules state not to wash the towels or linens.  As many know, when someone does that, stains may set in that we are prepared to remove.  When I went into the twin bed room, I found a bunch of wet towels sitting in the dryer.  An entire bottle of Tide laundry detergent had been used.  The guy was only there for TWO NIGHTS.

I have trash cans in every bedroom, in the bathroom, and one in the kitchen that is between the kitchen and living room.  The kitchen also has a recycling bin. It's really easy access to a trash can.  However, these guests decided the floor was an equally great place to drop garbage.  Yet, in the garage, a HUGE construction bag was FULL of garbage.  I'm five foot, eight inches, and this thing came almost up to my shoulders.  Next to it, was one of my kitchen bags full of trash.  Well, this is how it goes - I had to haul all of that smelly trash in my car with me.  The construction bag (I do not leave construction bags) was SO heavy, and I'm a relatively strong person.  I put these in my car on my way out that evening, and had to go through that bag because our trash collection will not take construction bags, and there were recyclables piled in there.  So, I'm going through this taking liquor bottle after liquor bottle out.  There were two spray bottles not totally empty of armourall in there.  There were a lot of dirty cloth rags in it, an old heavy sweatshirt, WINDSHIELD wipers, a box for a camera, lots of Dunkin Donut cups, containers for fast food, some sort of storage container by Rubbermaid, and old food.  I came to the conclusion that this guy cleaned his car out and discarded everything he's had in there for well over a week and left it to me to dispose of it.  My real response, "Wow, you could clean out your car, but couldn't pick up after yourself in my house?"

The bathroom?  Oh...apparently, they weren't sure how to flush the toilet.  Also, it appears there was a haircut done...over the toilet.  I don't even want to know.

Two nights this guy stayed.  Two days and over six hours each day it took for me to clean up after him.  TWO DAYS of HOURS of cleaning and washing and cleaning and washing.  Cleaning walls, cleaning out an apartment sized oven (they aren't self cleaning), cleaning all of the drip pans under the burners of the oven, cleaning my walls of ice cream, scrubbing this ice cream off the floor, heaters, and end tables, picking up cigarette butts, picking up water bottles, bags, plastic wrappers...and I have ALWAYS been kind to my guests.  I've ALWAYS tried to accomodate when I can.  I have NEVER even had the desire to leave a bad review until this guy.  I felt so disrespected by his piggy ways.  How DARE you treat someone's house like this?  Like I said, I don't even charge a cleaning fee.

With all of this, I feel like I really need to warn others regarding hosting.  I don't want anyone else to have to experience the mess that I had.  How much do people want to know with ALL of this?  This will be the first negative review I write.  You know what's odd?  This is his first time booking an AirBnb, but he told me that a former girlfriend use to do the bookings for him.  So, I'm his first review, and this is what he does to my house?  No excuses, he's stayed in an AirBnb in the past.  Am I too mad over this?  I've had people be messy before, but NOTHING like this where I felt like he thought I was his maid service and to hell with me.  Nothing like someone smoking in my garage, throwing garbage on the floors, and just totally being disrespectful to my house.  If another person had been scheduled within a 48 hour period, I wouldn't have been able to host because of THIS guy.

To add insult to injury, there was a quarter left in plain site on the desk.  A quarter...was I getting paid two cents an hour to clean up after him?

Thanks for letting me vent, but, again, the quesiton is....what would YOU want to know as a host?

60 Replies 60
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donna222  It makes me sick to read this, you poor girl. How anyone can do that much damage in 2 days is beyond belief. 

As a host I'd certainly want to know that this is a guest to reject. Just majorly condense what you've written here- Guest broke all house rules (list them), garage door tampered with and disconnected from automatic opener, garage which was locked and off-limits used for smoking (which is not allowed), pile of cigarette butts on garage floor, enormous bag of construction garbage left in garage, damaged floors, garbage strewn all over house, house left filthy, looks like they had an ice cream fight all over the house, food dripped down walls, etc.

Thumbs down, one star review, flag the guest and call airbnb to tell them about this. I hope you took photos of everything before you cleaned up.

I did tell them, and I did take photos.

This is quite common in my experience. I don't even know how they manage to do so much in such a short time. I honestly couldn't do that much if I tried to be a pig. Just write that your house was trashed and every rule was broken and all other hosts will have a clear picture. Hosts need to leave honest reviews for other hosts to see!!

Adriana100
Level 10
Pitts, PA

OMG I am so sorry. I had a similar experience, not that bad as yours, since it took me only one day of cleaning and I gave them 1 star. The fact that irked me the most was that I found a burned towel. Burned as if someone had set it on fire. It had a huge hole in the middle and it was burned. Why would anyone in his own mind would do this, beats me. They could have set my house on fire. I was so mad. for the rest the furniture was moved around, even the mattresses, the kitchen was a terrible mess, dirty glasses everywhere, grase in the oven, trash, a ton of bottles of liquor and beer. They stole slippers and everything from the bathroom, big bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, big box of q tips, big box of teas from the kitchen, extra toothbrushes, all the over the counter pills and first aid kit, kleenex boxes. I had 2 costco bags of candy that I put in a candy dish for my guests. they were gone. spills everywhere etc...

I think we, hosts have to be very careful with people with no reviews and if our guts tells us something we should refuse. reply not hit the deny button cuz Airbnb doesnt like that. AH, for the furniture I put felt pads on everything because all my floors were sanded and I didnt want scratches.

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

Hi @Adriana100.  I’m sorry for your bad experience. 

The only advise I give you is to communicate, communicate and communicate. If you don’t get a good feel, then don’t accept. 

If the answers are guarded, and not making you feel comfortable, then don’t accept. You are the boss of your Airbnb space always!

No one can instant book my place unless they have a positive review; so the review response from hosts is very important, and not to be thrown out lightly.

However, please remember one thing: everyone has to start from somewhere. How awful if “new” guests to Airbnb, can’t get on the wonderful accommodation ladder, because as hosts, we live in fear that they have no reviews. We all started out that way......

Through communication and feedback when unable to directly book, I have been made to feel comfortable that they are the right fit. Sure, we can never know 100%; but some of my best guests have been first timers to Airbnb.

cheers

Cathie

I had it set in instant book....never had an issue in the past.  It takes all kinds, I suppose..this guy took my bathroom items too.

@Donna222

I am in agreement with @Sarah977 about the review and would like to add/suggest you look into getting outdoor surveillance. 

Hi @Jessica-and-Henry0. Some outdoor surveillance is a good idea, depending on your property. I have it, and don’t have to turn it on,but it’s there outside if I have concerns.

I also have a combination lock on a storage area that has a door leading off the separate laundry. This is my family’s space, and to avoid any prying eyes, or loss of items, the temptation is now removed. We can access it easily, and you get use to unlocking it quickly as needed.  

I was taught - what can’t be seen, can’t be wanted. This originally applied to items visible in a car, but has worked for me with Airbnb. I know my spare fridge in the “family only” space has been looked into in the past, and a request for drink from it, made it difficult.

It’s about setting the tone and keeping safe, with strangers.

@Catherine827 @Donna222

Totally agree about setting the tone and keeping items you don't want guests to disturb out of reach and out of sight.

Catherine827
Level 10

@Donna222, may I send you my condolences. It sounds more like he has been living out of his vehicle.

I’ve never been one to want to expose another human as bad, but through my reviews, I make statements regarding all the review criteria. If slightly off par, I will not mention they are great, and I won’t state openly the I recommend them, or I welcome them back.

You could consider doing the same, and you don’t have to list all that went wrong. Make direct contact with Airbnb as well. He sounds terrible....

An example of a review for him that stays professional:

“I hold concerns for  ..” First name“..... as a guest using the Airbnb community format for accommodation. Although a pleasant individual who communicated well, and kept noise at adequate levels, that is where I draw the line.  

On departure and on inspection of the space, there was total evidence that ..... “name”. ..  had no interest in respecting the homestay space or house rules. It looked like the aftermath from an outdoor concert. I will not have him back, and I cannot recommend this guest to another Airbnb host. I wish him well in his process of learning what Airbnb encompasses.”

Yep! That would do it!

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I'm just not sure that STR is a good idea if you can not keep an eye on your property

- I wouldn't rent out a house without being local

- I always meet the guests and have a good look at them 🙂

- I make it clear in the listing I am nearby (in my case upstairs)

- I'm more than happy to refund guests and ask them to leave if they appear to be causing property damage,

Catherine827
Level 10

All great criteria   @Pete28 for renting, whether long term, or the short term relationship. But if I’m meeting someone at night on my property after a long flight, at 2am or later.... they are not always at their best... nor am I!  Most certainly no makeup ...

Lol...

Sorry, but I just felt the need to lighten a difficult topic. 

I live locally. I don't live AT the house.  I don't believe we have to babysit guests because no one has done this in the past, but I think that mess would have still been there even if someone was at the main house.