How much guidance do you provide on household appliances?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How much guidance do you provide on household appliances?

Guidance.png

Hello everyone,

Dishwashers, ovens, refrigerators, microwaves, washing machines, stoves, you name it and most likely you have it in your home. Nowadays it's pretty rare not to have any of the household appliances mentioned above.

If you are like me though, you get use to your own appliance, the way it works, the setting etc. and so it can be a little tricky when you go somewhere new and use a different one.

I was wondering if you give your guests any guidance on how to use your household/listing's appliances, if they have access to them? Perhaps you provide user manuals or you create your own, or you give a demo when they arrive?

It would be great to hear what you do and any tips you give to your guests.

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

64 Replies 64
Salem2
Level 10
Al Hadd, Oman

I use signage, I have little laminated signs I have put up around the house, not just for appliances but also highlighting main switches like A/C and water boilers.

I think it definitely helps people feel more comfortable as they don’t have to constantly ask the host.

In the kitchen ‘with compliments’ for tea, coffee and othe basics always works wonders people really appreciate it.

I love that idea because often it's just a simple question that can be answered quickly!

I have a Welcome to the property guide book. In it I have all the instructions and other information that Guest may need.Also I lable all mutiple light switches with a lable maker. This is one of the things that guest say they love in our guest book and private feed back,

@Jerry0and @Salem do the little framed notes on the wall for the most frequently used items as backup to 2 other forms of instructions, noe verbal, and I also have a guest "house rules and logistics" book prominently visible upon arrival.  If guests listen, read, and remember, they''re completely self sufficient and... I still get late night/early morning messages asking questions already addressed 3 times.  I guess that means they truly did relax and leave the world behind lol...

Great idea. It will definitely help our guests  to find out since my house has  too many switches. 

I like this idea but am going to make them look like gift tags (ie flip them if you want info). And will include a QR code that takes them to google translate in case they are different language travelers.

@Donovan0, wow! That's sophisticated. I'm impressed! Is there a way to do that without having to buy QR codes?

If you Google “free QR codes” you will find several websites that provide them for free.

Great idea Donovan ! CAn you share a picture of one if you have it ready ? 

awesome idea @Donovan0 !  i'll need to get up to speed on QR codes for that one!

Wow! Never think about that. Awesome idea!

Great idea . Thanks

Kris76
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

If I am available to meet my guests then I will give them a guided tour round the house. If for some reason I am not available I invite them to use an app called GuestHug which I have uploaded all the information to as well as video guides and a video welcome so this really helps with guest understanding. 

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Lizzie Upon arrival, I show folks how to make their own coffee or tea and have instructions on how to flush the toilet (hidden control on top) written out. I show the guests how to use the high efficiency washer and dryer, as that is very different from regular efficiency units. For those using the hot tub, I give hands on demonstration in proper use. Most guests are happy to learn and follow the procedures, and the ones who are not invariably cause trouble or damages. Guests are instructed not to open a running dishwasher and to not start the unit (it is tricky) and offered to show them operation of any other appliance in the kitchen.