How much guidance do you provide on household appliances?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How much guidance do you provide on household appliances?

Guidance.png

Hello everyone,

Dishwashers, ovens, refrigerators, microwaves, washing machines, stoves, you name it and most likely you have it in your home. Nowadays it's pretty rare not to have any of the household appliances mentioned above.

If you are like me though, you get use to your own appliance, the way it works, the setting etc. and so it can be a little tricky when you go somewhere new and use a different one.

I was wondering if you give your guests any guidance on how to use your household/listing's appliances, if they have access to them? Perhaps you provide user manuals or you create your own, or you give a demo when they arrive?

It would be great to hear what you do and any tips you give to your guests.

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

64 Replies 64

A franc to take a sh**! I remember the franc was about 1,50 NOK. Did you "save up" before flushing??

At the moment there are protests about our prices of electricity @Tif1. Because of the weather lately the Danes have actually been paid to use electricity since they have had to much. But us Norwegians run on waterfalls. And we have tamed the waterfalls. So we only make electricity when we need it. Or when Europe needs it because then the prices and profits are high. So right now the prices are double of what is considered normal here. Still, having a load of laundry would cost me about 1,50 NOK in electricity.... So I don't charge my guests if they want to use it... But I can understand people in other countries do!

Do come to Bergen! We modestly call it the most beautiful city in the word 🙂 😍💖

Mariann 🙂

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lizzie

My first double skinned coffee pot was destroyed by a guest putting it on the gas stove, ok lesson learnt so the next one I put a plastic tag on the handle stating, "THIS MUST ON GO ON THE GAS STOVE" and additionally, I explained in detail why and showed to very subsequent guest the damaged pot.

Well the next pot the same thing happened again! the guest explained that their father was not there on the day I explained that it should not go on the gas and that’s how the pot got destroyed, notwithstanding the fact I told the guests present to pass on this information to those not present.

accidents happen excepted...

So, if your margins are tight and you are part of the eighty percent charging well below one hundred dollars a night the best solution is not to provide this equipment at all.

Every additional piece of equipment you add, adds complexity and complexity add cost so if your margins are tight logically the appropriate thing to do is keep it simple and avoid putting these types of equipment into your listing.

Should you choose to ignore my advice, you should buy at least two and probably three of each piece of portable equipment in the case of loss or damage why I hear you scream, because the next guest will have an expectation that you will provide this equipment and is not interested if the fact that the previous guest broke them.

1. Toaster
  2. Sandwich makers
  3. Coffee makers
  4. Electric carving knifes
  5. Microwaves
  6. Rice Cooker
  7. Pressure cooker (big pot)
  8. Electric can openers

Etc.

Mercedes194
Level 2
Caraballeda, Venezuela

Hola le doy Gracias Dios que mi Alojamiento en bien sencillo, ya que estamos cerca del Mar, y por lo general esta clase de Artefactos electricos de gran avanzada se deterioran muy rapido, por lo que solo cuento con artefactos sencillos, como lo son la lavadora, microondas, nevera o heladeras,  duchas normales, bueno el agua sale tibia todo el año, no es necesario calentarla,  bueno tampoco tengo bañeras, tal vez mas adelante, la estufa es a gas,  hay ventiladores para no mantener los aires encendidos.

Si el huesped esta de acuerdo claro esta.  Por lo general la casa es bastante fresca. 

Otra es que como vivo alli, pues estoy pendiente de las necesidades del Huesped o de los Huespedes y veo que esten comodos dentro de las limitaciones que ellos puedan tener dentro del Alojamiento. 

@Mercedes194

Google translate is wonderfull!

Google Translate es maravilloso

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I do not have any instructions on appliances, as we have a simple older refrigerator, stove/oven, toaster, microwave, and no dishwasher. For the coffee pot, I also opted to keep it simple, with an inexpensive one vs. other types, as we are concerned about people putting grounds from a Moka pot or French press down the drain. 

I do, however, have signs for how to operate the wood burning stove, asking guests to remove shoes and reminding guests not to put anything other than toilet paper down the toilets to help us protect our septic tank. 

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Lizzie,

We have an in-person house-tour, during check-in.

During which, all appliances are explained (depending on the need of the guests).

Some guests eat out all the time, while others do use the kitchen extensively.

And we are legally obliged to have paper versions of all appliances in our accommodation.

So, we have these available too.

Furthermore, we share an electronic version of our house manual with our guests, prior to their stay.

In this document, each appliance is described in a separate chapter, which at least contains:

• A link to the online version of the manufacturer’s manual associated with the appliance
  • A simple ‘easy usage’ instruction
    For the washing machine, for instance (the door will not open, until 5 minutes after the program has finished).
  • And sometimes some tips to avoid (safety-)issues.
    Even the brightest guests, sometimes seem to leave their brains at home, while they are on vacation 😞
Linda505
Level 4
Ballarat, Australia

Surely in this day and age, everyone knows how to operate a microwave, oven and dishwasher? 

We don't give any instructions but are happy to answer any questions. The only thing hat trips some people up is the dishwasher settings, but let's face it, unless you have a manual explaining what every symbol means, does anyone really know?

I'm with @Cormac0 the less appliances you use the better. All we have are the basics 

1. toaster
  2. oven
  3. fridge
  4. dishwasher
  5. kettle

And that's it. We supply coffee and tea but no coffee machine and have never had a complaint.

Joel341
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

You would think everyone knows how to use a dishwasher.  However, I had a guest call me as the machine was not working.  I opened the machine and it was full of suds.  He had used liquid for washing dishes.  The foam tripped a flood switch below the machine.

This young man was on his honeymoon.  I can only assume, as he was Brazilian, that he grew up in a home with staff and had never used a dishwasher before (or the staff were cheaper than buying a dishwasher)

A plumber had to come and remove the built in machine and turn it over, and dry it out.

I have appliance manuals in the flat, but I doubt people read them.  I explain some things that aren't self evident when people arrive.  However, most of them arrive after an overnight flight and they aren't interested in hearing me....so I tell stories of past experiences so I think that helps them remember.

I have put a few labels on things.  I feel like a school marm doing it, so I don't have many.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Linda505

It does not say in the manual that you should not put a cup, yes a cup of dishwasher detergent in you dishwasher, but that was what one guest did to a Host's machine and caused severe damage.

No amount of signs, manuals or explanation work for some people, some are just down right stupid, some malicious, and with some it can be a language barrier…

So, my preferred option is to keep it minimalist, you know it makes sense.

Very true, sometimes you just have to shake your head with some of the stupid things people do. 

Perhaps using the premeasured-pods for the dishwasher and labeling them specifically for the dishwasher could be your solution.

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

Induction cooktop - with instructions attachedInduction cooktop - with instructions attached

This induction cooktop is more powerful than usual electric - so to help guests get it right first time (ie not burn their food and spoil my cooking pots) I have found putting this instruction guide on the countertop really helps.

Annie360
Level 2
Dartmouth, United Kingdom

Hi Rachael, I am just about to install an induction hob as I am regularly asked if we have one in the kitchenette. I will definately take your advice and put a similar sign next to it.

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

Many of my guests have limited english. I have laminated signs with numbers and pictures for using the washer, dishwasher, rubbish and recycle bins and a european toilet.  I have them on the inside of cupboard doors as I like the house to look homey, not like a hotel, but I point them out on walkthru.  I have a drawer with manuals for other appliances like oven, cooktop, airconditioners, microwave, fridge etc. 

The default dishwasher setting washes for 2 hours so I describe the short cycle (power use).

I gave up on the airconditioners and now have remote controls in my apartment downstairs so I can alter if the settings are ridiculous or they are left on when they go out.

I often have guests hit the childlock on the cooktop and then need assistance, so as soon as posible I will create a laminated sign for unlocking the cooktop as my non-english guests cannot read the manual.  It is a learning experience 🙂

Will205
Level 2
Berkeley, CA

Would like to share the application I created recently, using virtual notes in your place to indicate where things are or how appliances work. I came up with this idea when traveling to France and really can't understand how to use host's washer since it's in French. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/New-App-Guests-will-never-bother-you-again-about-finding...

Here are more details how this works if you want to check it out! Really appreciate any feedback!

rsz_img_0523.pngrsz_img_0524.pngrsz_img_0525.png