How much guidance do you provide on household appliances?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How much guidance do you provide on household appliances?

Guidance.png

Hello everyone,

Dishwashers, ovens, refrigerators, microwaves, washing machines, stoves, you name it and most likely you have it in your home. Nowadays it's pretty rare not to have any of the household appliances mentioned above.

If you are like me though, you get use to your own appliance, the way it works, the setting etc. and so it can be a little tricky when you go somewhere new and use a different one.

I was wondering if you give your guests any guidance on how to use your household/listing's appliances, if they have access to them? Perhaps you provide user manuals or you create your own, or you give a demo when they arrive?

It would be great to hear what you do and any tips you give to your guests.

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

64 Replies 64

@Rebecca0  lol on the flushing !

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lizzie@Kanani2@Rebecca160@Salem2come and stay at my place and you will be spoilt as I as a good host make the cups of tea and coffee.

Guests are so spoilt for choice in my area to have wide selection of places to eat within 5 minutes walk so rarely have the need to use my kitchen appliances!

My only quirk, is I have a tendency to switch appliances off at the wall so that may trip Guests up and I do advise them of that..It is because of incidents where I witnessed first hand electric wiring fires that I to this day switch appliances off, alas I understand I'm in good company with Prince Harry who turns off lights at the wall in rooms no one is in!!

Laura1899
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Like you mentioned, I have gotten used to my appliances and don't see them as a guest would - especially a guest that isn't from my country.

For the Nespresso machine, I don't leave any instructions. I probably (incorrectly) assume that everyone knows how to operate these ubiquitious countertop staples.

I know that standard shower faucets can vary from country-to-country, so I make a point to show my guests how to turn these on and off, and adjust the water temperature. 

The last thing is the thermostat. I know that people have their own comfort ranges for temperatures, but since I live there too, I will turn it down  when they've turned it to 28 degrees to keep my house from becoming a sauna. And I usually don't mention it.

Felix171
Level 2
Stonehaven, United Kingdom

Wow 28 degrees is sauna like.  Some people erroneously think  if you turn the thermostat up that the space will heat up much faster. 

@Laura_R  good point on the thermostat.  I've had people blast the heat and leave it on when they leave so many times, often when Im at work and won't be home for several hours, I've had to post signs and mention it in the house rules that if they "turn it on, turn it off" or they risk a $50 fee.  Since then, all but one set of guests has remembered, but I was home and saw them off, went in right away and caught it, so I didn't make an issues of it.

I see turning items off as a common courtesy unless it you live in an area where pipes might freeze in the winter...

We had a smart thermostat (We use Nest but the afte others) installed so you can see if the heat or air has been left on while no one is there. We're can control it through our phones. I think it has saved us money in the long run. 

I inform my guests where the main switch is located and when they go out , they just have to switch it off and all the appliances will shut off too. The main switch looks nice and easy so the guest wont have hard time switching it off.

Same applies when they come back to the room.

Nung0
Level 3
Rawai, Thailand

We try to run through everything but i think after a long flights to get to us they dont listen we show them anyway,

I have to tell people to leave the swimming pool alone we have had people switch it of.

My pet hate is people leaving all the lights on day and night and the A/C we always show the how to use the A/C we have lots of guest who come from countries that dont use A/C Please close the doors and windows when you have it on. excuse me the garden doesnt need cooling down even though we have signs on the bedroom doors to turn off the electric Im afriad it dont sink in.

We made an A4 sheet with instructions about saving electric and not to go out all day and leave ALL the electric and A/C running, lets see how that goes!

We did used to charge extra for electric I

George283
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

Upon arrival my guests are greated with my custom "All Access Guide" which outlines all the details of the property (  how to use the Nest thermostat, the fans, washer/dryer location, and includes complimentary gifts in their welcome package). As well as all my favorite recommendations in the area, local attractions, nearest gas stations, nearest pharmacy/ grocery store, emergency contact numbers, and much more).

I think it is very important to make it clear to all guests how to use the appliances at the property, as well as properly have the pool key/ gym fab labeled for them with detailed directions on how to access the amenities. I also like them to be showered with recommendations, as I have learned that you can never go wrong with giving them as much guidance as possible! I have found that most of my guests find it very beneficial, so I like to assure that they have as painless of a stay as possible. It keeps them coming back 🙂

Hi what do you place in the welcoming package?

I usually set up coffee with sugar and creamer in 1 sachet. Then bottled water and  some loaf bread. My guests usually arrive at 2 to 3pm and get no lunch yet when they arrive..just to help from thier hunger. 

Julia482
Level 2
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom

I keep my price at 35 pounds per night.  I have a detached double and single garage conversion with one bedroom and ensuite and large kitchen/sitting room area.  My idea was to keep my price low, not only to attract long term bookings but to make up for the fact that I have a coin meter in the annex so my guests dont abuse the amount of electricity they use.  This is what happened befire.  Comments would be much appreciated on this idea.  

@Julia482Re the coin meter. I am not sure how I would feel about that, I might be a little offended if the electricity went off suddenly and I was expected to pay. Would it not be better to increase the cost of the room for nightly stays, but then if it was a long term stay, add in the description that electricity is then an added cost on stays over one month for example.  Kind of hard to know really but that is my take on it.  There tends to be basic expectations of properties such as hot water, heating,  electricity, wifi so an added cost seems a bit cheeky. But that is just my take on it.

Looks lovely, well done.

Actually @Tif1. A coin meter is not that unusual. I have read of many places where you have to put a coin on the heater to take a hot shower. In Spain it can be common to have to pay for electricity after you stay. They read the meter when you arrive and leave.

It's just us northernes that are used to cheap electricity 🙂

Mariann 🙂

@Mariann4ha ha. Tror du det Mariann. 🙂  I know what you mean, but  I was thinking from a British perspective that it is quite rare to stay somewhere short term,  and be asked to pay for electricity. I never knew that about Spain though, that is new for me and good to know!  I did have an electric loo when I lived in Paris in my twenties . It cost a franc to use it each time ,

and I have lived in a flat in London where we had to charge a gas card and an electricity card  with cash , but that was long term rental.   PPS Is your electricity  comparatively cheap in Norway? I must visit Bergen I hear it is beautiful