How much guidance do you provide on household appliances?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How much guidance do you provide on household appliances?

Guidance.png

Hello everyone,

Dishwashers, ovens, refrigerators, microwaves, washing machines, stoves, you name it and most likely you have it in your home. Nowadays it's pretty rare not to have any of the household appliances mentioned above.

If you are like me though, you get use to your own appliance, the way it works, the setting etc. and so it can be a little tricky when you go somewhere new and use a different one.

I was wondering if you give your guests any guidance on how to use your household/listing's appliances, if they have access to them? Perhaps you provide user manuals or you create your own, or you give a demo when they arrive?

It would be great to hear what you do and any tips you give to your guests.

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

64 Replies 64
Maureen268
Level 2
Augusta, GA

I like to explain how things work and where they are myself but I do plan on labeling and making a guest handbook. Especially since I can't always be home when guests arrive. I've picked up a few great ideas in this conversation. 🙂

I have detailed instructions in English for most of my appliances, especially if the buttons/switches are in Korean. I have the following printed out and posted on the wall next to my water dispenser and washer. I also have similar instructions for the microwave and coffee machine. 

KakaoTalk_20190216_152720895.jpg

KakaoTalk_20190216_152721182.jpg

Michelle1229
Level 3
Sunbury, Australia

I use Laminated signage that is short and compliments the area they are put, for instance, I leave out a breakfast Tray with cereal, bread and butter plates, condiments like Honey, Instant coffee, teas, much more spoons and knives , plates and bowls coffee cups and glasses. A Welcome sign is standing beside it, "You will find all you need for breakfast on this Tray" Please find a tray on the right side of the fridge with your Juice, Butter and Jam and Bread. This saves guest helping themselves to my private cupboards. Who doesn't like a stranger using your favorite Mug that they helped themselves too! Small laminated signs besides the coffee machine, sitting in a little stand. In the bathroom a pleasant decorated sign, ladies when using a hair straigtner please rest it on a hand towel. Even in the toilet,  A symbol with a Tick and Cross of how to use the toilet. Some Asian culture is that they squat ontop of our toilets, our toilets are not designed to be stood on! I provide a step stool. This came about after I had to wipe up Human Faeces off the toilet floor. I also have a compendium left in the bedroom with a Welcome and introduce the workings of our home, if they need to use the washing machine, where they will find washing powder ect, and a general run of the House rules, most people enjoy reading this. I have complied some local Tourist Brochures in it, also some Menus from different restraunts in the area. Instructions of lights, how to use the TV/ DVD Player and have a large number of people that do not understand our Ducted water summer cooling, that windows need to be left open for it to work well.  The Compenduim has been a good platform for guest that have left Thank you cards and note behind.  I have also had to place a high lighted note on the front door to ask the guest to remember to lock the door. If the washing machine is used, I usually go with them and get them started. 

Hi everyone,

I am a little confused 😞  Earlier this year I was able to update information on appliances and how things worked in my houses including adding photos.  I can't find that now on my listings and wonder if anyone else was able to created guides for guests including photos.

Many thanks

Fiona

We do proper house sharing and also use small laminated notes all over (I super hate having a whole file thrown at me on arrival that I'm expected to read.) 

The notes may be instructions how to operate something or just labels showing what is in which cupboard or drawer, that way precious personal things like Grannie's teapot doesn't get used. I find that guests are very respectful as a rule and doesn't even open untagged cupboard doors or drawers.

Guests are always delighted to find the tags and comment what a great idea it is and how easy it makes their stay.