How much is your security deposit?

How much is your security deposit?

How much is your security deposit?  I am in Lake Tahoe region. I rent for 30 days plus only.  3 bedroom 2 bath house with capacity limited at 6.  Rent is around $3200

6 Replies 6
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Peter10 

It depends on the risk profile of the guest. Ranges from 500€ to 1000€. 

In my case, it's primarily an attempt to scare away obviously risky profiles (e.g., groups of 19-25 year old males). It usually scares them off. But for those few who are willing to pay it, they have every incentive to avoid damage and so far have left the house in surprisingly clean and orderly condition. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Most hosts understand that "security deposit" is a misnomer as there is no actual money held by Air BNB only access to whatever the booking payment was charged.  Is this your understanding as well?  I used to think that process allowed guests to book without having to pay a deposit and thus it made Air BNB more popular while protecting the host.  Years of reading posts on this forum has given me reason to believe there is little host protection.   Now there is another Air BNB coverage in addition to the liability coverage which is for damage to the space or furnishings.   Whether that will work out or not remains to be seen.  All this begs your question of how much "deposit" is   sufficient.  Rule of thumb in the rental business is the deposit is equal to one month's rent.  

Ramona-Bogdana0
Level 3
Bucharest, Romania

Hello @Peter10 

Airbnb calculate the deposit amount based on 60% of your listing’s nightly rate with a cap of $1,000 USD. This amount is adjusted for longer stays. If you’ve already added a Host-required security deposit to your listing, we’ll use the amount you set (provided it’s over $0).

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2526/airbnbrequired-security-deposits

Have a 5 stars guests!

Ramona
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Mine is $400-800 depending on the size of the house

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What is the point of even declaring a 'Security Deposit' if A- is not pre-collected in the first place and B- Airbnb will not enforce it anyway? Granted the 'illusion' of one may serve some purpose.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Fred13 

I collect my own security deposit. I presume others do too, because there is no Airbnb "security deposit", so why would anyone be asking how much others charge?