How much to refund this guest?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How much to refund this guest?

A guest just saw a field mouse at the house. She snapped a picture, so I know it’s real. I’ve never seen droppings or had reports from other guests.  I  i’ve had this problem at another house in the past so I had good supplies already.  I came right away with some poison that should work pretty fast. They didn’t want me to lay out traps, which I don’t blame them. They din’t have pets with them  – I check that first so poison was ok.  In the conversation they mentioned they would be cooking tomorrow at the house. I messaged them asking if could I deliver something to complement the meal or perhaps more champagne – they were drinking champagne as I was there. I know, I know, I should not have asked but just did something. They responded with no thank you but I small discount would be nice.   How much do you think I should offer? This was not a cheap reservation at all. 

79 Replies 79
Clay29
Level 3
Houston, TX

In the house or outside the house and did it come from the house? If not, how about  nothing as they tend to be everywhere ? Usually, they hide unless their habitat is disturbed.  Nearby construction or brush clearing could have done that.

I am not against killing mice or rats as they spread disease, but some poisons can cause more problems than they solve and are particularly ugly. Ones that coagulate their blood are inhumane IMHO and in the quest for water, they will chew through anything possible to get to it and may make them try to get in the house. Pex piping  can be particularly vulnerable.

Might I suggest TNR kitties or a bucketful of Pepsi with a way in but no way out? At least they will drown happy.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Clay29 

Compared to poisson maybe Pepsi is also not a good idea....

I suggest a mousetrap with some peanut butter, it can be hidden somewhere.

Emiel

@Clay29  yes, there is construction almost next-door! Thank you for explaining the mystery. But yes, unfortunately it came from inside the house – behind the stove. So I think it is considering it it’s new home. The guest said they were cooking in the oven so the super heat must’ve made it come out for some fresh air. Considering the location, I couldn’t just claim it was passing by or stopped for glass of champagne. I’m also downtown Chicago, not in the suburban or rural area so can’t blame it on wilderness 

Chances are it got in through the hole the gas line - or the hole any of the water pipes or electric goes through the floor. Buy some steel wool from a hardware store (it's essentially brillo pad without soap) and pack any gaps you see. They can't chew through it.

@John2996 I was thinking about that but think it lives behind the stove. so not easy to block off

Emiel1
Level 10

@Inna22 

There should be list of animals at Airbnb with discounts when they show up So we can look it up.

I suggest 10 cent for a bumblebee to full refund for a bear in the house. (Or a crocodile in the swimming pool). A field mouse in the house ? Maybe just open the door at he/she is happy to leave immediatelly.

But more serious: i would not offer a discount.

I few years ago a field mouse slipped into the house (the living room). I opened the door and the mouse run into the hall way, right into the slippers of a female guest ! Who was just on her way returning from shopping, i heared them already outside. So i opened kitchen door and back door and mouse ran through both doors to freedom ! A few seconds later the guests came in and the woman put on her slippers (house rule: no shoes in the house  !).  I considered myself a very lucky host !

best regards,

Emiel

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Inna22 since you opened the door, you could offer as much as you would have spent on Champagne, maybe round up-- or, in your shoes I would probably ask them what they think an appropriate discount would be and hope they have some shame.

FWIW, like @Clay29 I would not use poison. We've had an ongoing mouse problem in one of our cottages-- this summer we installed ultrasonic repellers and since then we haven't had any, knock wood.

@Emiel1 my husband and I once stayed in a gorgeous villa in Hawaii that was in complete disrepair. When it rained water came through the ceiling onto the master bed and there were mice. One night when we came home and I sat on the toilet to pee a mouse ran across my feet. We did not ask for any discount.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Lisa723 

Maybe more mouse stories will come up in this thread !

And no discounts, but extra fee for the  "ultimate mouse experience" offered : ;>)

@Emiel1 @Lisa723 

Mouse story:

A few times now, I've been sleeping in an unfamiliar place and I have a 'dream' that a mouse is running over me across the bed. It happens the same every time. I am half asleep but it feels very real. Sometimes I scream and sometimes I can't. My mother has always told me that there is no mouse! So if I was ever in an Airbnb I think I would be too embarrassed to approach the host about it because I wouldn't know if it was real or not! Subconsciously this must mean something to me. 

@Emilia42 I was wide awake, I assure you.  🙂  Also my husband saw it too.

@Lisa723  ultrasonic repellent? I’m looking into that ASAP! Thank you

@Lisa723 do you have a repeller to recommend? We have mice in our old farm buildings... 

@Solveig0 no, we chose one pretty much at random from the many for sale on Amazon, and that model doesn't seem to be available there anymore in any case. I can't claim any kind of scientifically significant results; we installed them in August and haven't had mice problems since, but who knows whether that's actually due to the devices...