How much to refund this guest?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How much to refund this guest?

A guest just saw a field mouse at the house. She snapped a picture, so I know it’s real. I’ve never seen droppings or had reports from other guests.  I  i’ve had this problem at another house in the past so I had good supplies already.  I came right away with some poison that should work pretty fast. They didn’t want me to lay out traps, which I don’t blame them. They din’t have pets with them  – I check that first so poison was ok.  In the conversation they mentioned they would be cooking tomorrow at the house. I messaged them asking if could I deliver something to complement the meal or perhaps more champagne – they were drinking champagne as I was there. I know, I know, I should not have asked but just did something. They responded with no thank you but I small discount would be nice.   How much do you think I should offer? This was not a cheap reservation at all. 

79 Replies 79

Ok! Thanks for coming back to me! 

@Lisa723 Hi Lisa, I just bought the Ultrasonic pest repeller. I noticed the don't work through walls and should be placed in multiple rooms. Where do you place these in your house? In the kitchen? Are guests put off by something like this? ... do you explain that it's prevention?

@Emilia42 yes, we put them in the kitchen. So far, no guest has asked about them, except once when our water went out and they thought they might be some kind of alerting device.

@Emilia42  I  think it would be a good idea to let guests know what it is and ask them to please not unplug it. I could just see some guest thinking it was a hidden camera and reporting it and getting some poor host's listing shut down.

@Sarah977, I was thinking/worried about that. I was also thinking that if guest saw them they would assume there was a problem. I am trying to take preventive measure because I do live in a place where mice will try to get in as the temperature change. I am worried that IF a guest does see a mouse and then sees my preventive measures that they will assume there is some kind of infestation that I knew about and didn't tell them ...... Ugh, it just sounds like a lose lose to me.

@Emilia42 @Inna22 @Sarah977 @Solveig0 so... my local co-host reported signs of mice in the kitchen today.  😞

@Lisa723 @Inna22 @Sarah977 

It is that time of year - You cannot escape them, I don't care how air tight your house is! I wonder how many guests Airbnb has refunded this week?!

@Lisa723  Oh, you poor dear.  Like I mentioned earlier in this thread when I plugged one of thse things into my storage room where bats were nesting, they actually moved closer to the device. I don't get it. You just started using those things, and now your co-host sees signs of mice? Maybe they're rebel mice and attracted to it?

Well right now I'm battling flying cockroaches, as are my neighbors. Disgusting things

@Sarah977 @Inna22 @Emilia42 @Solveig0 ...and... new guests called at 5am reporting that they heard "someone" downstairs and are all shook up, fearing an intruder. We may face a repeat of the guests a few years ago who decamped in the wee hours reporting a "wild animal" in the house. Working on Plan D now.

@Lisa723   Cat?  LOL.  Sorry to hear of the issue.

@Lisa723 

Uh oh, will they feel relieved to know that it could be/was a mouse? Hopefully, the are easy going people. Keep us posted. 

@Emilia42 my co-host was able to make them feel more comfortable and she is bringing mousetraps and flowers today. We offered to upgrade them to our larger lakefront house which just happens to be open for their remaining night, but they have decided to stay put.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Inna22 

I used to work in a high end family-owned hotel where a standard room with 2 queen beds was $375+ per night. One time a guest caught a mouse in his room. Trapped between a magazine and a water glass, he returned it to the front desk, alive. It was that time of year when mice are trying to get inside, despite extermination practices.

My manager never even thought to give him a discount. I think we comped breakfast. In fact, management only gave a discount once in the 4 years that I worked there. Airbnb hosts are so nice. Maybe that is a big reason why people choose Airbnb ... because discounts can be given so easily (whether by the host or Airbnb.) I hate the thought of it, but I would offer a discount as well. 

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Inna22 If the guest had not asked, why would you consider giving discount? If the guests asked, I would give them the discount they ask. And in the meantime, ask them to cancel and provide them the refund for unused nights.

Guests have been spoiled by hosts for providing refunds for petty things and things which are out of hosts control.

@Alice595  I don’t think we’re at a point where I need to ask them to cancel. Everybody has been perfectly nice and cordial. Yes, they did ask for a “small discount”- to quote- instead of champagne when I offered that.