How much toilet paper and other supplies should we leave?

Doug-And-Diane0
Level 3
San Diego, CA

How much toilet paper and other supplies should we leave?

We rent our entire home for a maximum of six guests. For guests staying for several weeks, are we expected to supply enough toilet paper and paper towels for the entire stay? We also supply other amenities like coffee beans, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, tissue, dish soap, dishwasher soap and laundry products. We usually have a fairly large supply in the house for our guests, but also usually only host guests staying for 2-6 nights.

58 Replies 58
Linda1556
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

I have experienced the “not enough” situation and consequently received a bad review for not leaving additional toilet paper in my rental.

Typically our rentals are for two people, this was only one person staying a Friday night through Sunday morning visit.   I use the larger size rolls of paper, always starting with a new roll for each visit.  I also keep a two full spare rolls under the bathroom cabinet, so 3 total rolls for a 2 full day stay (check in is 3p/check out is 12n) for two people-which seems ample to me.   

Apparently she ran out of toilet paper (and she didn’t bother to try to contact me when she took the last roll out of the cabinet) as I would have happily popped by with extras  (I live right behind the rental).   And, since I clean my own place...I noticed that there were no spares in the cabinet, no empty rolls in the trash and or on the paper holder.  I thought it was odd  (I’m not sure about anyone else, but I don’t collect empty paper rolls especially when I’m traveling) but really didn’t think too much about it until the review came through-where she claimed she ran out of paper!   Also, she was a local renter/guest from a nearby city who said she just wanted a “getaway” from the kids, work, etc. and seemed a bit “off” from the start.  

Since this happened I’ve added 2 additional rolls in the cabinet and hopeful that 5 rolls is enough for a 2 day stay (we only rent weekends).

Rebecca1034
Level 2
Little Rock, AR

It's an Airbnb not a hotel. That's why you pay less. I provide the basics but if you're staying longer than a week, you can pick up the expense if you run out of things. I dont provide fell cleaning and laundry service while you stay, but there is a washer and dryer and plenty of cleaning supplies.  I left enough coffee for a couple of weeks, after that you're on your own. I don't provide shampoo and such because I'm not a hotel. If a guest ask for some, I will prov7it though. 

@Rebecca1034 

how many toilet paper rolls would you leave for a 6 night stay? We were given one roll for a 6 night stay. One roll on the holder itself. We ran out day 3.

I'd say 3 is good. If you need more than that, then you should buy it

My host left me ONE roll of Scott for a 30 day stay!  I'm also paying $1,000 more than my airbnb neighbor who has a private outdoor space.. host asked how many more I needed to stop asking. How about provide enough for the entire stay to begin with?! $3,000 a month.....

John47
Level 9
Chatham, MA

My situation is: I am a host with a budget six unit summer cottage colony on Cape Cod that was built in 50's by parents and now I have been running them since 2002 so using Airbnb just to fill some gaps in regular tenants. I'm also non-typical in that I don't supply any linens (but which is common for this style rental here).

My policy on supplies is what it has been for years: Bring your own stuff! Guest knows what brands they want and how much they use, not me. And I make sure that guests know this before they come and as 99% percent of my guests are driving here from their home, taking supplies with is easy.

Now I supply only one basic roll of toilet paper (so they can go when then arrive) and some dish soap & cleanser. That's it!

Why am I so limited in what I provide? Cost is obvious reason - but more that many people are SO brand/flavor/type picky that they can't use lemon scent dish soap but have to have floral or whatever! And paper towels/TP are similar - Brawny brand people won't like anything else.

Plus - TP usage varies GREATLY depending on brand/type, and sex of guests. Females naturally use much more paper than males due to biology and 4 sheets of Cottonelle is kinda equal to 12-16 sheets of single ply Scott. 

Meredith144
Level 1
Milwaukee, WI

I’ve just found this thread. I’m a consumer who just started a 60 day rental. In agreeing to rent, I agreed to allow the owners to clean the unit every 3 weeks during our stay @ $100 per cleaning. (Original listing cleaning fee is $85). I’m fine with that and I agreed to it. But now and as I follow this conversation, I’m wondering if I should expect toilet paper for our duration.

I’ve only ever rented for 1, 2, or 3 nights at other places and TP has never been an issue. What does the community think? Should I expect the landlord to provide toilet paper if I’m paying additional cleaning fees over the 2 month stay?

Hello, Meredith. We are renting our 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home for 28 days or more. Since there is no way to calculate how much toilet paper, etc. that guests will use or know their particular brand preferences, we supply 4 large double rolls per bathroom. We also supply shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, paper towels and other kitchen and bathroom amenities. We let people know in our home description that we are giving them a "Starter Pack" of supplies. The thing is, we get a lot of couples that rent our home, but then have kids, grandkids, friends and other family members visit. It's impossible to anticipate how many people will be using toilet paper. With regard to cleaning, our home is clean for the guests' arrival. If they would like interim cleanings, we provide contact information for our cleaning service and they can arrange the level of cleaning, days, times, amount, etc. Some just want the house cleaned, but not linens washed, for example.  So far, our guests are happy with the arrangement. I hope this helps.

You should

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

Fascinating varied supplies. At $50 a night for 2, $7 each for 2 extras, we supply tp, tissues, paper towels,  dishwashing liquid, hand wash, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, tea, coffee, sugar, flour, rice, pasta, milk, bread and spreads, s & p, plus snacks and condiments. Our airport is open 24/7 so some guests arrive in the early hours after long or multiple flights. Our shops close at 5 or 9 on late opening night. For long stays I clean each week, replacing linen and supplies.

However, coronavirus is leaving us with supply problems as Australia imports 50% of its paper products from China and the rest is manufactured in South Australia, NSW, Victoria or New Zealand. Our guests arriving on Friday have been warned we had 9 double tp rolls left and there were no local supplies today.

Will we be forced to close because of a toilet paper supply problem? 

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

Guests arrived and were surprised that we had acquired plenty of bulk tp so were very happy.

Luke279
Level 6
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Doug-And-Diane0 I read your renting the apartment out for 28 days or more so headed on over to your airbnb page.... The next dates available was March at £275 a night... are you telling me that at that rate you cannot provide toilet paper or basic supplies? I'm literally baffled...

@Luke279  On the one hand I agree with you, but in these host's case, they said that they get a lot of guests who have family and friends over on a regular basis. There's no reason for a host to have to supply T.p. and other things that are going to be used up by a constant parade of non-paying visitors. And maybe the hosts give sizable discounts for long-term reservations.

I just have a private room/private bath listing with full kitchen use and only charge $28/night. I have a 2 week maximum stay and I can't imagine not providing toilet paper, soap, coffee and tea for my guests whether they stay 3 nights or 14. But I also have never gotten toilet paper eater guests- never had anyone go through more than a roll and a half in 2 weeks. 

Ami19
Level 2
Silver City, NM

My question is more about coffee pods for a month long guest.  Should I keep stocking kpods throughout her entire stay?  (This seems quite expensive!)

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Ami19 

In my listings that have a coffee machine I usually leave a sleeve of pods (10 pods in a sleeve) to get the guests going, they then purchase for themselves if they want more.