How much toilet paper and other supplies should we leave?

Doug-And-Diane0
Level 3
San Diego, CA

How much toilet paper and other supplies should we leave?

We rent our entire home for a maximum of six guests. For guests staying for several weeks, are we expected to supply enough toilet paper and paper towels for the entire stay? We also supply other amenities like coffee beans, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, tissue, dish soap, dishwasher soap and laundry products. We usually have a fairly large supply in the house for our guests, but also usually only host guests staying for 2-6 nights.

58 Replies 58

Thank you, Paul. That’s what I’m thinking of doing. I just had two guests stay a week, and the went through about 40 pods!  

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ami19 that’s a lot of pods! 🙂 

Right (and the dang things aren’t cheap!)?! 😂

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Like others I have it noted that they get a “starter pack” of tp, paper towels, coffee, etc. My place is mostly a weekend destination so my starter pack is usually all they need. However, the few longer term bookings I’ve had were all fine getting additional supplies.  I’ve been renting beach houses for my entire adult life and know that my first goal after checking in is doing a supplies run. Also, my guests are all driving their own cars from home, no fly ins as of yet. So they have the ability to bring stuff from home, and take it back home if they don’t use it. If I had a place that was somewhere a large number of my guests were flying in and renting a car to get to my place, I’d probably try to have certain things fully provided for their stay. 

Thanks for the input, Annette!  

Ana22389
Level 3
Stanford, KY

Thank you all for this discussion.  We have been hosting for almost a year now and thought we had our bases pretty well covered.

We started hosting because we have had such positive experiences as guests with Airbnb and other such companies as compared to standard hotels and even luxury resorts and time shares.

Having experienced a variety of styles, we thought it was standard for Airbnb style rentals (not to mention high-end timeshare resorts) that a few essentials be provided, i.e. dish soap, laundry soap, paper towels, a trash bag or two, and a roll or two of toilet paper per bathroom.  No soap, shampoo, dryer sheets, nor fabric softner. Only occasionally were we suprized to find some coffee and tea and maybe some muffins.

Early on in our Airbnb career (we will take into account that it was the begining of covid) we left a case of toilet paper in a closet in the hallway, a huge stack of paper plates in the pantry, a large stack of dryer sheets in the laundry room...  you see where this is going.  They did not all dissapear at once but they were obviously not all used on premises.

So we tightened things up, put supplies in a locked space, provided no paper plates or dryer sheets and never had any complaints until recently.  One guest was suprized that he be expected to supply his own toilet  paper, and I was suprized that he was suprized.  He left an overall good review but mentioned the T.P.  Got me wondering whats expected.

Seeing this topic let me know that there is no norm.  I am still suprized to see how many guests actually expect the cut rates and hotel service.  At least now I know I need to be clear in my listings what they can expect.

That solved, now do I need to put it in my listings that the towels are not housewarming gifts for the taking?  Fancy Wal-Mart towels are apparently in high demand these days.

(cofee, tea, cocoa, snacks go untouched...)

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ana22389  Toilet paper and soap at the sink and in the shower really are basics that should be supplied. It's different if it's a long term rental- in that case hosts often just provide enough for a few days or a week as a starter pack until the guest has a chance to go shopping and stock up. But this should never be a surprise- you need to mention this in your ad, and reiterate when the guest books, so there are no misunderstandings.

I have a private room home share. I provide toilet paper and soap (liquid and small hotel-size bars) . I don't provide shampoo, conditioner, or bath gel ( soap is soap to me-) . I do have cotton balls, Qtips and ear plugs, and a basket of toiletries left by other guests (I thoroughly clean and sterilize the containers) that they are welcome to use. Tea and coffee makings in the shared kitchen, and of course there is dish soap, because it's my kitchen.

As far as guests making off with towels, I suppose it could be an oversight, packed by mistake (many people simply aren't very observant-  if they brought a towel with them, the fact that yours were nicer, or a different shade of green, might just escape their notice), otherwise, it's just theft.

@Sarah977  Thank you for your comments. From T.P. to shampoo😁...

I wonder if you, or anyone else, have seen or heard anything about guests' preference for personal sized containers and potential health and safety issues. I started by providing individual travel sized shampoo & body wash but have moved over to more economy / family sized containers of generic products.  There have been no complaints, and it seems that they are generally being used, but I wonder if some guests would have concerns.

I figure if they don't like it, they  don't need to use it.  But I do wonder if there are any expectations that I am unaware of.

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

We make sure to keep a hefty supply of essentials like toilet paper. We leave about 7-8 rolls in each bathroom (using two roll holders in each) and then we dedicate a hallway closet to store more - toilet paper, paper towels, wet wipes. I found it's good to leave out wet wipes in the bathrooms and kitchens, you'd be surprised how many guests use them to clean up after themselves - which is great for us! We also provide snacks and coffee, which we leave out in a basket in the kitchen, we'll store more of these items in the garage for the next guests.

Sarah-Louise2
Level 2
Bangor, United Kingdom

So paying £43 per night my host for eight days left me the equivalent of two Tesco value loo rolls! am I wrong thinking this is not acceptable??  As I’ve never before had a host not leave me MORE than enough for at Least my entire stay!

@Sarah-Louise2 I'd say it's very mean supplies. 

I thought that thanks.x

@Sarah-Louise2  It's a bit stingy, but calling it "unacceptable" is somewhat dramatic. Of course it depends on the size of the roll, but I have never had a guest go through more than a roll per week, which is my own average usage, as well.

I honestly don't understand what people who would find 2 rolls for 8 days to be inadequate do with the stuff, to use so much. And it doesn't seem like some big deal to go buy yourself another roll if you really need it.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I prefer to leave ample, doesn't matter if it's too much surely. It's not a drama and I want to come across as having thought of everything. Also, bad quality paper goes nowhere.