How much toilet paper and other supplies should we leave?

Doug-And-Diane0
Level 3
San Diego, CA

How much toilet paper and other supplies should we leave?

We rent our entire home for a maximum of six guests. For guests staying for several weeks, are we expected to supply enough toilet paper and paper towels for the entire stay? We also supply other amenities like coffee beans, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, tissue, dish soap, dishwasher soap and laundry products. We usually have a fairly large supply in the house for our guests, but also usually only host guests staying for 2-6 nights.

58 Replies 58

I apologize. A 2-3 person studio, not bedroom. 

Mai100
Level 1
Milwaukee, WI

Obviously, a lot of these people commenting are hosts. No surprise. My opinion is if you are not going to replenish supplies, you state that clearly in your listing. Obviously, you don't want to state that because it is bad for business. So you lure in customers with bountiful pictures of abundance and once, they get there, you tell them they will have to buy their own when they run out. If that is not bait and switch, then I don't know what is. You can't have it both way. I will steer clear of places that ask me to buy toilet paper. Who would do this? Limiting shampoo or paper towels, I understand but toilet paper? That I do not understand.

Hi! I’m a host and I’m reading through this thread to try to figure out where to draw the line. I have a single guest staying in my shared home for almost five weeks. I initially provide four double rolls of toilet paper in the bathroom, and will refill as needed.  After a little over a week the guest asked for more toilet paper, so I stocked it with six more double rolls. He just asked for more, after using ten double rolls in less than three weeks, in addition to multiple boxes of Kleenex and five or six rolls of paper towels. Where is the line? 

Jessica1422
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Found this looking for answers before I complain. We are a family of 4 who has paid over $1000 to rent a home for a week. We were provided 4 total rolls of toilet paper and 2 trash bags including the one in the bin. I asked the owner about it and he expects us to go to the store to get more. It's not even about the cost of it, but the inconvenience of our vacation and having to drive to a store. It's our first Airbnb though and was wondering if this stinginess was normal. 

I've rented a lot if self-catering homes in my time in many countries and not once have I ever expected soap, toilet rolls, bin liners, detergent, etc., to be provided for me. Going to the shop is first priority after checking in, or I pack what I need in the car before leaving home. I'd expect it in a hotel, yes, but self-catering means do it yourself. Be autonomous. There's no staff. 

I'm really surprised at how many people expect a hotel-style service in self-catering rentals.

In saying that, I'm so fed up with those types of holidays after many, many years I'm seriously considering trying out an all-inclusive next year! No washing up, no food shopping, no cooking. Bog roll provided 😉

If the food turns out rubbish, I'll be back to self-catering... *sigh*

Agree with you on that one.   I've travelled to many places and stayed in countless airbnb places and never once have I expected hotel-style provisions and services.   I've also always researched where the nearest stores are, and get my own provisions whenever I needed more than what was provided as the 'starter pack'.  It's also a way to experience living 'locally'. 

Raffles in Singapore charges $1800/night for a room for 2.  they have a lot of complimentary services and provisions on request. 

For a family of 4 to stay one week for only $1000 and expect similar services is unreasonable.  

I completely agree! I am a host and also a traveler. I do not expect anything beyond what I need to get started when I stay somewhere. It's not a hotel with maid service. I provide two rolls of toilet paper, two rolls of paper towels and trash bags. I normally have extra rolls of toilet paper in the closet but if I don't I don't feel that it is unreasonable for six guests to pick up toilet paper when they have to shop for their own food for their stay as well.

We also travel with Wyndham timeshares. You are expected to replenish all of your own supplies once you run out.The cleaning list of what you are expected to do upon checkout is also extensive.I've come to understand that I need to leave any place that I stay at in the condition that I arrive to it at. Some guests fully understand and except this too but others want the experience of staying in a five-star resort.

I feel as long as you are upfront about what you will supply and your expectations then your renters will know from the get-go what they need to do. Unfortunately, you can't please everybody and that is just the nature of the business. 

@Rich-and-Susan1  I have also stayed at Wyndham time shares and when you run out of supplies (eg toilet paper, hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, laundry detergent, dish soap) you can go to the front desk and ask for more. I hope this helps you on future time share stays. 

@Rich-and-susan1

@Elana46 

how many toilet paper rolls does Wyndam give you? We were given one roll for a 6 night stay. One roll on the toilet paper holder 

@Jessica1422 4 rolls of toilet paper for 4 people a week seem to be not enough. The guest should have provided more. It really does not matter how much you pay per week because that listing was what you chose with consideration of all things.

But I did have some guests who use one roll of toilet paper per day per person. It definitely is a waste. 

I have had this happen in several airbnbs.  As I guest I feel that when I am paying 150+/ night for a space, toilet paper should be included.  This is not a long term rental where you bring your own furniture, etc.  its a vacation rental.  5 days of toilet paper should not be a big problem for the host to provide.  We were really annoyed at having to go to the store midway through our stay when this happened to us.  In addition, Kleenex and paper towels feel important to stock.  I'm less concerned about detergent, etc as I like fragrance free and bring my own.  To be honest, even for a month stay it seems reasonable to provide toilet paper (you could clarify with the renter that you are providing x number per day/ week- with the expectation that it will be enough- certainly there is a limit on how much toilet paper a host should provide, but I did not think we were being outrageous in our use of toilet paper.)  But, hosts, please remember that people are often paying a month's rent in a week.  Don't be stingy.  We are on vacation and we are paying.  I agree on the trash bags as well- they should be provided, and with a little to spare- this seems like common sense. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

As a host I just checked out here because it amazes me where all these types of supplies go. We normally provide one roll of toilet paper per guest per three nights. That is... Our accommodation for 8 gets 8 rolls for a weekend (3 nights). If the stay is longer then we would expect the guests to provide these consumables in the same way they provide their food and provisions. We do not offer a maid service as we are not a hotel. When we clean, we replenish.

We do also provide an extra 4 rolls in a supplies cabinet so that once the immediate supplies are used there is at least an emergency supply.

Recently, 6 guests (3 couples) managed to use 12 rolls in 3 nights (65 hours total, 27 waking hours on site)

For one couple to use four rolls in 3 nights is excessive by more than double.

According to: https://www.controlnroll.com/how-much-toilet-paper-do-we-use/ It would take a family of 8, 9 days to use 12 rolls

Bag checks at check-out anyone?

@Jessica1422  You were probably 1 roll short of a full week.

@Mai100  I've never tried luring people in with my "bountiful pictures of abundance" but must try that one !!

@Doug-And-Diane0 @Erin-and-Austin0 @Ward1 

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  For a reasonable usage, the supplies you gave are sufficient.

I had handful guests who could use one large double roll in one day per person. When I checked the bathroom trash bin, a lot of toilet paper was not used and thrown into the trash bin. Some people just play with paper when they sit on the toilet.

What suggestion do you give me when I see these kind of guests again? Should I remind them that do not waste? There are some guests who never switch off lights in all rooms after they leave. What suggestions do you give for them?

@Alice595 

It wouldn't be your responsibility if the guests would rather throw your toilet rolls away rather than use them. If adequate supplies were provided when they run out because of their wastage it would be their responsibility. Tell them you provide (double the amount necessary in my case) more than necessary and you don't replenish supplies so if they use all those provided then its up to them to provide for their needs.

If guests leave lights on, I go and turn them off. I point this out in my listing and house rules. For the same reason @Jessica1422 considers more should be provided, I consider wastage a cost I shouldn't need to absorb. Wastage adds to the cost and guests don't want that ( @Mai100  )  so their wastage is curtailed for the benefit of other guests. We could meter electricity and gas usage at our listing and charge appropriately but having to check the meters on arrival when all the guests want to do is dump their stuff down - then,  recheck the meters on departure would just be a hassle. 

Correct. With it being a 2 level place, we could've used 2 extra rolls, one on each floor. Also I'm expecting, so I have to go every half hour.