How often should I wash the bedspread?

Nathan72
Level 2
Eagan, MN

How often should I wash the bedspread?

Hello, 

I've been hosting since June, and everytime a guest leaves I wash the bedspread along with the sheets.  I am doing a lot of loads of laundry needless to say, and wondering if it's expected that the bedspread is washed every time.

Thank you. 

12 Replies 12
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You're going to get a lot of different answers here, but the general consensus is you probably don't have to wash the bedspread EVERY time if the guest is sleeping under a top sheet as well. (So the top sheet is between the guest and the bedspread)  Obviously if you suspect the guest has slept on the actual bedspread, you'll want to wash it. 

Explore getting a duvet cover to put around your bedspread, then you just have to wash the duvet cover.

Dana357
Level 2
Allentown, NJ

I can tell you that as a guest, I expect sheets and bedspreads to be washed and clean when I check into my accommodations.  I just suggested to Airbnb that they suggest to hosts to use white everything,from sheets to bedspreads and comforters.  And to share with hosts that while they may think throw pillows on beds add charm, to those concerned about sanitation and infestations, they are skeevy.  White comforters and bedspreads are becoming the norm in the better hotels and motels.  Why? because they are easily washable, and no one wants bedbugs, or scabies(a body mite which people can carry for a month or more before they  know they are infected).  When I go to book a place on airbnb, and I see a cranberry comforter with tassels and fringe, I cringe.  Because  I KNOW no way has that comforter been washed.  I'm sure some people will disagree with me.  But most guests will say they would like everything washed between guests, and furniture and floors vacuumed. 

I completely agree! Sheets and bedspreads or the comforter… whatever people wanna call it should be washed in between every guest! I completely agree about throw pillows, if they are not being washed after every single guest in the washing machine not just spot washed in the kitchen sink but literally washed in the washing machine and dried in the hot dryer ….then throw pillows are just harboring skin cells and nastiness . Not saying people are nasty only that once the skin cells have been there and sitting for a while it is biodegradable and it will be nasty and if there is an illness the person had THAT illness is now there and possibly still alive eating at that person‘s dead skin cells that are on the throw pillow.  I like your concept of using white sheets and comforters and it is Air Bnb‘s preferred color if you look and read through their platform deeply however making that main stream I don’t see happening. I really do prefer a beautiful white comforter I opt for a pretty good one off Amazon and they’re only about $27 after tax for a full size faux down quilted pattern comforter. I even buy spares so I am not worrying about having to replace a comforter for a make up stain I can’t wash out when I have another guest coming one day later.  Your point about vacuuming after every guest is spot on. I hope this all clarifies the original question of washing a comforter after every guest for the person who posted the original question!

Sherri176
Level 5
Fort Worth, TX

it is gross to Not wash the comforter EVERY time. Barenaked butts will sit on the comforter as they should be allowed to do if they want to and so it is smart sense and clean sense that the host will wash the comforter every time…this is just nasty,  I can’t believe I came across this in a listing where a host replied to a guest review stating she does not wash her comforter every time as an answer to the guest Stating the room was not that clean …..and just now in a Google search I land here …that still other people are doing this ….not washing your comforter after every single guest  is gross and disgusting. I am a host and fortunately I’m also a super host. I offer long-term stays with 3day minimums and I spend a lot of time cleaning the two rooms I rent …. washing everything even the towels that are folded , every single item gets washed even if it looks clean.

I agree you must wash all the bedding between guests. You never know what has taken place on the blankets comforters or bed spreads it could be many different things that I'm sure the next guest does not want to lay on. Just because it looks clean does not mean it is.  For instance poison oak the oil could get on your clothes and you kick your feet up on the bed and then your changing clothes or something and your skin touches where at one point legs with poison oak oil on there clothes not knowing it you get a horrible rash you never even seen comming. There are many reasons wash all the bedding. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Nathan72 

Once every 6 months will do, nobody would notice

@Sudsrung0 oh, sorry but I disagree - I don't think that way of hosting is very wise.  "Nobody would notice" - did you know there are flashlights that can be shined on bedding or any surface and they will show everything that you don't notice -- 

good luck, Clara

@Clara116 

It was a joke, Just my sense of humour

WOW....well that is good that it isn't true but I sure didn't imagine it was a joke. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Nathan72  YES YES YES - hosting for over 5 yrs now - and I have had to throw away, IN THE GARBAGE a Duvet cover/one quilt/spread/sheets and some other linens because they were beyond cleaning. 4 nights of baked in stuff - People do whatever they want, whenever they want and often without anything on all over your bedding - I've seen every possible body fluid possible on bedding - and its awful, in NO WAY safe and so for anyone that says " every 6 months is OK - no thank you - please add that to your listing - "spreads washed/clean every 6 months - see how much business you bring in on that one ???? It truly should not be happening - of course, that is my opinion - because, of everything Cleanliness is expected in every rental - #1 Safety/ #1 Clean  - they kinda go together these days it seems with all the sickness out there.

This is why some of us are so selective and keep our prices up and earn the monies we charge. Even throw pillows - if they do not have a zipper - they are not in our cottage - everything and I mean everything is washed, sheets/pillow covers/pillow cases and we also have 2 mattress protectors at all times on our very fine mattress. 

I ask that guests do not strip the bed - so every time - without exception if the guest strip and so neatly fold the bedding--- I cringe cause the nastiness is folded and out of eye sight. 

I even write in my listing before they leave if there are stains please let us know so we can treat them....to try and neutralize and say "we know accidents happen". But usually its not accidents but wild, sex, drugs?? and rock and roll - that might have occurred and more. So people expect clean - and they go to hotels and think it looks clean - they wash the comforters/covers every 6 months or such -I have often read..... OHHHH awful....so its my hope that hosts will do what most people just expect  and at least be super clean on any bedding that people are spending the majority of their time on, in and all around in your airbnb. All pillows should have pillow covers that zip - and then a pillow case. Its only a small amount of work to strip the covers and cases each and every time. 

I finally understand if I thought the pillow cases were unclean/had hairs - oh no - I'd not be able to put my head on it ever!

Let us all be the best we can be when hosting  - never pick the easy way out - or the time saver- $$ saver when its any risk to anyone else!

Peace everyone

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Nathan72 good on you - yes, keep washing every time, every guest - NO matter how clean it might look - be a true host/ super host - cause YOU know what you do. thanks for keeping standards up! Happy hosting, Clara

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

hotels don't wash their bedspreads after each guest. i've watched them do turnover. 

of course some hotels now just double sheet a duvet and tuck it in tightly, I'm even less of a fan of that because the duvet can easily make body contact. and i'm pretty sure they don't take the duvet out after each stay. those carts they use do NOT have dozens of fresh duvets on them, only sheets and pillowcases and towels.