How often to change bedding on longer stays?

Michael1448
Level 2
United States

How often to change bedding on longer stays?

I am looking for a rule of thumb when dealing with changing of  linens and towels on long stays. Is it un-heard of to replace all linens and towels after 10 days for a 30 plus days stay? Does the frequency of change be more frequent?

Keep in mind only one cleaning fee is charged for the entire stay.  I want to provide the best service possible and torn with expenses.

Can anyone offer some guidance. 

10 Replies 10
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

Every ten days sounds good to me. If your guest squawks about more frequent change, such as one week, then just do it once a week. I would change out the bath towels once a week.

Thanks Rebecca. I appreciate your thoughts. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello  @Micheal,

I ask my guest to message me when they want fresh bedlinnen/towels. Then i provide it to them in a basket, and they do the changing themself, returning the old stuff in the same basket. The average guest wants fresh bedlinnen every 7 to 12 days, It also depends a little bit on the season.

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Emiel,

Thanks. I do the same. Anything sooner than 10 days they notify me.

Very practical approach, this!After working in a hotel myself a number of years ago, I told my wife that we may have to do the rooms over completely every second morning. We have only recently been registered here in Japan and our current guests will be here for a week, they are our first longer term stay. Tonight is their third night so we will do it tomorrow and follow your suggestion thereafter.

Thsnk you

Paul and Shinobu,Oami, Japan

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Your listing is an entire apartment. This is a long term tenant they should be responsible for washing their own sheets and towels. It is different if it's a shared space. At least that is my thoughts on it. 

Thanks Letitia. If only I could make them wash their own linens. I don’t provide a washer in my unit. 😞

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

For a 3 week stay I provided a complete change of towels, mats and bedlinen weekly.  For a 10/11 day stays I left a compete set of everything for them to use if they wished, but they didn't.  For 1 week I leave an extra set of towels (but not bedlinen or bath/pedastel mats) for them to use if they wish - some have, some haven't.   If 5 nights or less, nothing.  I always leave extra kitchen/dish towels though, and a couple of old bleach-marked towels in the boiler cupboard for spills or hair dyeing. 

I host a lot of exchange students with an average length of stay being 4 months. Henry and I provide bedding changes every 2 weeks and have had no complaints yet. 

Since our listing is a private room we communicate with guests on a daily basis and usually just ask if they would like new sheets before the 2 week point or if they are okay with the 2 week cycle the first couple weeks. 

If guests are told to do their own laundry I doubt they will wash and change sheets every week. Also Henry and I like to handle sheet changes and laundry ourselves to check for stains and make sure laundry is done according to our standards. Same for towels. Without proper stain treatment prior to wash, some stains will set and never come out - meaning we'd have to replace those sheets after that particluar guest leaves.

We supply clean towels as needed, with at least 2 bath+4 hand towels in the bathroom cabinet and we check and add new clean towels every 4~6 days to keep it stocked. We also empty the trash bins in the guest room and guest bath regularly because recycling rules in Korea are complicated and it's just easier for us to handle the trash & recycling disposal. We also supply TP, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, toothpaste, q-tips, kleenex throughout the guest's stay, along with cooking oil, salt+pepper and other basic condiments. 

Especially when it comes to  exchange student guests, we tend to compete with dorms which are closer to school but are usually 2~3 students to a room, shared baths & shower facilities, no cooking allowed, no bedding or towels provided, and have curfews or with gosiwons which are teeny tiny micro-rooms, or homestay hosts that are more "involved" with the students. 

Our pricing reflects the services which are provided (we don't have a cleaning fee) - we adjust the monthly discount to make sure we are charging enough to cover expenses for supplying all amenities throughout the guest's stay, and even a few extras here and there. 

If you think it will help, please feel free to take a look at my listing to see how I've set it up for longer stays 🙂 

Judson2
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

There is no rule of thumb; however, there is a series of questions you can ask yourself. 1st being does your guest appreciate your wanting to save the environment by using fewer resources, or because of our strange times, do they want a clean room every time? 

2nd, do you have policies and procedures in place so that it's a seamless experience and efficient operation? For a more detailed analysis, please check out this blog.

3 questions to ask when changing hotel sheets. 

**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.