How should I review?

Llayla0
Level 2
Canton, NC

How should I review?

We have been very blessed with great guest in our hosting experience over the past 9 months. I have even come to clean the home and found the guests have vacuumed prior to departure, which is definitely not expected. Given our great guest experience, I am at a loss at to what to say about our last encounter. He came with his family which included three teenagers and maybe his delegation of tasks did not work out, but the home was left in the worst condition yet. Here is my list of issues:

-Missing 3 “makeup removal” washcloths 

-Lanyard from fan taken off and stuffed in a corner of bookcase which I was lucky to have noticed

-mascara staines on expensive washcloth use for make up when I supply makeup removal ones

-Trash upstairs not taking out

-Dishwasher not run

-Lamp left on floor unplugged no explanation (found faulty cord, which I now have replaced, but thought it would have been nice to leave a note of explanation as to why they unplugged and left it in the middle of floor).

- Red wine on pillowcases

-Checked out 20 mins late

-Pots, pans and glasses in wrong cabinet 

-huge mess under kitchen table

Am I expecting too much due to previous exeptional guest experiences? I have never left a bad review and even wonder if it’s worth it, maybe I’m just being nit picky. Regardless, we would not want them to return.

Any suggestions on a review? 

17 Replies 17
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

To be honest I can't see anything you have listed that is that awful.

Just mark them down on cleanliness. Maybe 4 stars.

Turn the dishwasher on. Wash the pillowcases. Put the pots and pans back in the right cabinet.

@Llayla0

I'd just mark them down for cleanliness (3 stars or less) and house rules (also 3 stars or less). Wine on the pillow cases and mascara on the washclothes....if the stains come out after being washed I'd let it go but I would probably be as upset as you. They seem to be a messy and disorganized family - probably not bad people but you should review them honestly. 

How about something like "Guest and family stayed X nights. There was no permanent damage to my home but it was much messier and disorganized than I usually find it after check out. Based on my experience hosting these guests, they seem better suited to a hotel environment." 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I agree on the 3 star rating - This also automatically blocks them from booking with you again, last I knew (but you know how often things change around here...)

Llayla0
Level 2
Canton, NC

Thanks for the advise. I understand that there are potential for stains and carry replacements for such an experience. I was at a loss as to how to rate them correctly and appreciate the thoughtful suggestions. There was nothing terrible done, just disappointing guests in comparison to all of our past experiences. These people obviously didn’t read our check out requirements and luckily we did not have another guest checking in the same day. Thanks for the replies!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Llayla0

each one of those issues is not so upsetting ... but all of them together are. I know the feeling. We usually mark them 3* for cleanliness and write something like : "....it took more time to clean than usual.."

Claire475
Level 9
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

I don’t feel any of your points noted are too serious, slightly annoying but not more than that.  I do feel some things while irritating are to be expected or accepted. As hosts while we should be honest I dont think we should be too nit picky and pedantic. Rather be thankful, it sounds like you have had great guests. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I agree with others that this is within the normal range. Re. things in wrong cupboards: that's inevitable unless you clearly label the shelves-- which guests really appreciate.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I agree not that serious, just slobs who don't clean up after themselves, and teenagers don't have any concept of things like not using nice washcloths to remove their make-up. 

It's great that most of your guests have been clean and respectful. You win some, you lose some, it kind of balances out.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Llayla0

I agree with many of the hosts here. The things listed are not serious but would make my eyes roll. I think there is some truth in saying that some guests see a high cleaning fee as just that. They are paying for someone else to stat the dishwasher, take out the trash, clean under the table, and remove stains from towels. My guess is that these guests don’t think they have done anything wrong and maybe they haven't. You were graced with perfect previous guests. The kinds that all of us hope for with every stay.

But it is all based on if you would want these guests to return to your home. It is best to keep the review factual and neutral without going into gritty details. I would leave a review along the lines of ...

"XX and family stayed for X nights. While communication prior to arrival was good, (only state if true) the Chalet was left quite disorderly and the checkout instructions for simple tidying up were not followed, resulting in some extra cleaning. I would not welcome these guests to return.”

Kristy43
Level 5
West Moonah, Australia

@Llayla0 if only all our guests were respectful, it would make our lives so much easier... thankfully there was no real damage done, they were just slobs!!  Stains etc are kind of par for the course (yes, still aggravating though!) and so is stuff like not emptying bins and tidying up after yourself!  We get amazing guests like you described and then others (often the ones you least expect) that seem to live like pigs and seem to think that the 'maid' will be there to attend to their every need and pick up after them as though they were in a hotel.  I would be honest in the review and mark them down on house rules and cleanliness.  Fingers crossed that your next guests are better... it can be a lucky dip!!

Llayla0
Level 2
Canton, NC

Thank you for the thought out responses. As this is new territory for us, I was at a complete loss as how to rate. I hoped that he would have not rated our home, and I could do the same (I am one to avoid conflict if possible). Though not an absolutely terrible guest, it certainly took an incredible amount of time to get the home ready for the next guest which I am not use to. I am absolutely grateful for all the amazing and respectful people we have encountered so far and look forward to many more great experiences. Thanks all!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Llayla0

Hi Llayla

Looking at the big picture.....

How was their communication?

Did they muck you around on arrival?

Did they contact you and complain about issues during their stay?

Did he arrive with more guests than he booked?

Some people live like pigs, they don't respect others property because they feel they are paying for it they are entitled to do what ever they want with it.

Llayla, first and foremost, you must review them. If you do not and they review you, you will not be offered a public response to their review....so reviewing them is a must...ok!

Keep your review short and don't be specific! You do not know what they are going to say about you and you don't want to make statements you would wish to retract down the track. Remember Llayla the review says as much about you as it says about the guest...always keep that in mind, you don't want that massive 'black eye' sitting there attracting everyones attention to it.

Back to the first points....If they were ok but just bloody messy, word your review...."I love my hosting and always look forward to having guests in my home. This guest communicated well, arrived punctually and I am sure has the potential to become reasonable Airbnb guests with a bit more attention to cleanliness and detail. Nice people but please, take a little more care next time....I would be hesitant to host again or recommend"!  and give them a 4 star overall but a 3 for cleanliness!

Cheers.....Rob

@Llayla0  Leaving an honest review is not "conflict", try not to think of it like that- you're warning other hosts about an undesirable guest or singing their praises so that other hosts have something to go on when deciding whether to accept a reservation. I'm sure you wouldn't be pleased if you accepted a guest who had trashed out other people's houses, or disregarded house rules, but the guest either hadn't been reviewed at all by previous hosts, or was given some generic "nice" reviews because the hosts didn't want to be "mean". Reviews are really important in the business of allowing total strangers into our homes.

Totally agree with @Sarah977 about the need for honest reviews. 

Some people may not care if they get slob guests as long as there is no permanent  damage, others may not want known slobs as guests. By stating the facts as you observed other potential hosts can decide what they are willing to put up with.