How soon in advance do your guests book?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

How soon in advance do your guests book?

Ever since I raised my prices to a competitive level, 11 out of 15 of my most recent reservations came only 4 or less days in advance of check-in date! Six of those were made same-day (2) or one day in advance (4). The other four were made 17 to 42 days in advance.  Back when I started out with my too-good-to-be-true grand opening price people booked well in advance, so price obviously affects how soon guests jump at the opportunity.

So do you get a lot of reservations made just days in advance of check-in?

Do you reconsider your price if people are not booking far enough in advance?

19 Replies 19
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Pete0

Your experience is in line with mine.

People choose cheaper places first.  Then they will choose yours.

If I still have availability a couple of days before-hand, I RAISE my prices to stay in the middle of my competition.

I would say that your bookings are matching your pricing well.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Pete69  I am more of a last minute booking on the booking sites except HA/VRBO and the wedding brides, family or guests I book a year or two out. Some OCD brides have booked 2 1/2+ years in advance lol my open calendars don't even show tha far out.  

Kendra17
Level 3
Dawson Creek, Canada

Hosting 2 room rentals in a slightly booming oil and gas area.  Definitely not a vacation destination as I see many of your bnb’s are....check out Fred’s bird island! 

The majority of my booking are 1-2 days in advance to nearly immediately (less than an hour notice).  Workers get the call and book enroute to the job ASAP.  

They usually get paid living out allowance.  Airbnb works because if they get a hotel their living out allowance barely or doesn’t quite cover it and no kitchen usually to save on food prep expenses.

Via Airbnb though...they have enough to cover accommodations, food (even if they don’t cook), gas money for return home trips and still have a little left in their pockets afterwards.  I get a little,  their living out expenses are covered and they get a little in the end.

I don’t really like the advanced bookings as they throw off my bookings for the longer jobs lasting more than 3 weeks etc. I am considering increasing my minimum days booking from 4 days to 7 but when there is a gap the little 4 day bookings are really helpful so I haven’t acted on that yet.

My rooms are on average empty maybe 4 days a month at max.  

I keep my prices the same as other similar listings but after reading some of the comments here....inexpensive housing is in shortage here...I will book up anyways regardless as long as I am not competing with hotel prices.  Hmmmm

Thanks for posting this food for thought!

Hello @Kendra17,

I'm not sure if you're aware of it but you could set your minimum to 7 nights and then still set a minimum of 4 nights for any gaps that arise.

If you set a general 7 nights' minimum and then have a gap, say, from the 4th to the 9th of some month you can set a 4 night minimum for checkins on any day in that gap.

In the "Availability" settings for your calendar click on the "Edit" button for the "Trip length" section.

Then click on the "Add a custom rule for seasons or specific dates" link. Click on the "During" box and choose "Specific dates". Enter the start and end dates of your gap and then set the minimum stay to 4. Then click on "Save" and on "Save" again.

Note that the minimum of 4 applies to checkins on those dates so if your gap is from the 4th to the 9th someone checking in on the 9th can check in for only 4 nights even though it encroaches on a 7 night minimum sesction of your calendar.

Steve.

Thank you! I did not know this but will certainly use it now 🙂