How tech-savvy is your listing?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How tech-savvy is your listing?

Quincy_0-1607614919020.jpeg

Hello everyone!

Technology has changed the way we do things, especially in our homes. You have devices and apps that have been developed to help users control various technological tools. From turning off devices such as your TV remotely, or controlling the heating and cooling temperatures well before you reach home, technology is making our homes an interesting and innovative space.

I've recently purchased one of Google's Nest Mini devices to create grocery shopping lists, reminders, and soon to control the lights at home. 

But how about your listings, are they tech-savvy? What kind of technology do you use to make your life easier or more efficient in your Airbnb?  

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

20 Replies 20
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Quincy I have a love-hate relationship with technology. I use it every day but nothing (I mean NOTHING) in the world frustrates me more than when technology stops working. So for my mental health, I try to keep my distance. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42, I know what you mean! I hope you'll have a better experience in the future! 

-----

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

@Quincy ,

The marketing of these tech savvy tools & devices are very innovative . The Google Nest mini, seems reasonably priced as a connectivity hub  and the new design looks great. 

It is not a deal breaker for us though to have all these yet,but perhaps more of a wishful thought at this stage.

Our Beach Bach basics are WiFi and a smart tv & smart guests that come to enjoy our outdoors .

Of course it adds efficiency in homes , with the ease of voice activation & apps etc.

As it is , for myself - I need to have a teenager around to help me navigate these savvy tools🤣

Let us know how you find The Googl Nest mini .

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Laura2484, I sometimes have to do some research as well on how certain tools work. Technology goes so quick nowadays that it can be a bit overwhelming!😆

So far, the Nest Mini is working really well. As I mentioned on this post, I will be connecting it with some smart bulbs so that I can control the lights. I'm sure that there are many more things to do with it, but I will have to explore that. 

Will you be getting more smart tech? 

-----

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

No tech anything. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Minimum "technology".

Minimum as possible, of course, because sometimes it can't be avoided.

The base problem is that all these "technologies" are internet-based. Without internet, they can't work. If the internet connection is unstable, all the devices will be unstable.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is true @Dimitar27. For quite a lot of equipment, a stable Wi-Fi connection is needed if you want to benefit from all the features. 

-----

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

As low tech as possible. I have a Chromecast and cable TV and two remotes, that is more than enough to explain.

The real useful tech is the key handling service available to avail flexible check-in when meeting in person is not possible.

Several DVD-players have been jammed beyond repair, so no more of those.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Marit-Anne0, I forgot to mention that I also have a Chromecast! I got it very recently and it's very useful! 

Have you been using the key service for a long time? 

-----

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Quincy, I stick to face to face humanity the good old traditional way of communicating.

I prefer to have a knock on my door and a little exercise in my life than using the technology that's available in today's day and age thanks as it's better for one's overall physical and mental health.

As you may recall I'm a little accident prone and when one has had hand injuries life takes on a new meaning of appreciation of the little things and internet capable technology whilst it has it's place is also a pain in the backside I can live without.

Be careful of overuse syndrome as it's often not until further down the track that it catches up with trying to carry out one's day to day necessities

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427!

This, of course, is also a great way of communicating 😄! Keeping it original! 

I hope all is well in NZ!

-----

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Quincy - too quiet in New Zealand without our travelers and so many businesses gone under. Nearby Newmarket has become more soulless and lots of empty shops.

I long for the return of cheerful people.

I did however meet some lovely people who have lived in the UK & Europe recently who said New Zealand needs a "Wake up"!!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Quincy I started using the key service as soon as it was introduced a couple of years ago.  In my street the keys can be picked up at the supermarket or the 24/7 convenience store. Pickup also available at the airport and the station.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Quincy , great topic!   Ive been in the forefront of tech delivery for a few decades now on behalf of my customers deploying Crestron/ Extron and others  Interface and Control systems an other "Whole Home" wizardry.  I happily stepped back from it a couple years ago to return to my roots repairing stuff for our Chemistry department because trying to keep up with new tech is nearly impossible and now you don't need a brilliant highly paid tech savvy trained guy like me to get these things on your own.   

What I can add to this conversation is that somethings are timeless including the thesis put forth at the opening of a CEDIA tech trade show I attended in Washington DC a couple decades ago.

"Technological  inclusion in businesses, homes and workplaces is all about the Jet-Stones- Customers want the complexity of delivery and wow of Jetsons and the Simplicity of operations of The Flintstones. "  

Thats a tough measure to reach and maintain but the "Smart-er" devices they are creating now a days  make much of that possible if your trying to get there (never forget, they come with unintended consequences and snoopers most often).  Personally, at the place we call Bearpath Lodging where we are lucky on a good day to get 4 meg of upload and 1.5 down, we are sticking with the "KISS" system for our home and STR spaces (Keep It Simple Stupid) far less expensive than Jetstones toys and few to no peeping toms !!!!   About as high tech as we get are non networked code door locks I recently added to replace key lock boxes I had since we began this adventure in Inn Keeping.   We have had a couple guests that made us rethink handing out keys we don't really need to. 

I wish all good luck, just make sure you don't handicap your guests with technology that isnt Jetstones qualified or your gonna get judged on its performance or lack thereof!  "It was a great place to stay but the door code kept changing and the tv channel wouldn't change, 4*"....    JQPublic, 

Stay well, JR