How to Deal with Demanding Long staying guest

Bianca156
Level 10
São Paulo, Brazil

How to Deal with Demanding Long staying guest

Hi All,

I am writing to you basically to request for tips. I've been hosting for six months now. During this time, I have had basically guests that were staying in my place for no longer than 11 days. 

A week ago I started hosting a couple that is going to stay with me for another 45 days. They are not rude, but the lady is really demanding. I never had any problem with my guests. Everyone loves my apartment, it is all completely new, as I started from scratch and but this Airbnb together past March. It is personal, with items I brought from my travels around the world as a cruise ship crew member. It all reflects my personality and I am more than happy to share with everyone. But this lady is not happy with anything. She changed all my furniture around. Keep stuffing my personal items into the closet and asking me to buy her items that I  have but she doesn't want to use as it is. I can go along with the Communist flag that she has placed in the middle of my living room. I want her to feel comfortable

I got really upset to know that she was using my breakfast table tray as a table to place bags in the apartment hallway. I removed it and kindly left a message why I was doing it. I have been trying to accommodate all her requests but I am getting a bit tired of it because I have never face any guest like her. ALL my past guests were only compliments about my listing. I am anxious and afraid to lose my temper and end up with a bad review and mess up my perfect rating. 

I have worked on cruise ships for over 14 years I am used to all kinds of demanding people and I was always super nice and friendly with all my guests. I have been enjoying the Airbnb experience so much. But this lady thanks She is at a Hotel. How would you deal with this?

41 Replies 41
Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Bianca156

You sound like a great person and host and I think you're dealing with a difficult situation pretty well!

I have Buddhist tendencies (wish I could say that I'm a Buddhist!) and just try to have compassion - without being walked upon. We have a small statue of Buddha on our windowsill and... honestly, if that offended a guest, I really wouldn't want such a guest to remain in our home and I'd give them a full refund!

I prefer to think that small statue is more likely to have a positive effect on them 🙂

All the best 🙂

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Bianca

I wrote another response, but unfortunatelly, when I had to edit it, it was erased either by the system or maybe manually. I hope it is was technicall problem instead of something that has to do with censorship.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bianca156  I see that what you are open to suggestions for dealing with this situation as along as it does not involve any action to restrict, confront or eliminate this guest, right?  Understandable on your part given the personal connection.  So, maybe some suggestion about how to survive living with a person that knows no boundaries and is so self involved,  she thinks your home should reflect her politics!  Have you considered writing a screen play for a comedy movie... LOL   How do you feel about taking long walks or calming drugs...

If I appear to be making fun, I am, but only because sometimes when dealing with a situation of our own making and not being willing to rock the boat, you just have to find a way to laugh.  Believe me, this will make a great Air BNB story to tell your friends.

It is already, Linda! I am going with the flow now. They are not damaging anything. She was asking me for extra items that I did not have, so I told her that unfortunately I did not carry have them and I was not going to buy it because I was not going to be useful for future guests. It was good to know that I don't want to have anyone staying in my place for more than two weeks.  

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Sorry you have this problem guest.

But you can learn from it.

DO NO FAVORS!

A favor is special treatment - Not a good way to start a business relationship.

Your doctor friend is puffing himself up right now, thinking he did a good deed. 

But he carries no risk - you do.

One thing I'm not clear about though. It is a privated apartment. How do you know she is using your tv tray as a hallway table? Are you entering her apartment willy-nilly and moving her things? As a guest that would distress me.

I know because she asked me to come and assist her with some questions, information about the City and besides that, I am the one that is doing the cleaning maintenance so I get to go in once a week. 

Stacey129
Level 2
Orwell, VT

Get her out now! Take the loss.

Here in the US, depending on the state, if a guest stays over a certain number of days they are considered renters and renters have rights and can not be kicked out. We then have to go thru the court system. It could take months. They can trash your home. You won't see a dime.   Get them out now.  Check your local laws on renters right. The landlord always gets screwed. 

Amanda394
Level 2
Dallas, TX

I have found customer service to completely unhelpful in these situations.  They have enabled dishonest behavior and activity that is against their rules to my severe financial disadvantage.   I'm about ready to throw in towel despite how many good experiences I've had. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

We had a similar experience. My local co-host toughed it out, smiling all the way and hoping the guest would not intuit her real thoughts. She did a fine job of role-playing-- after the guest left their own (excellent) review we gave them a thumbs-down and told them we would not be able to host them again.

Sheldon15
Level 4
Hope, Canada

I would think the communist flag in the middle of the room would be a big red flag.

@Sheldon15, 200 thumbs up

Sheldon15
Level 4
Hope, Canada

I just realised how Puny my comment was