How to Fix the Problem of Guests Leveraging Reviews In Damage Reimbursement Situations

Brian783
Level 3
La Quinta, CA

How to Fix the Problem of Guests Leveraging Reviews In Damage Reimbursement Situations

I just left this in the "feeback" tool of Airbnb but thought I'd post it here as well to see if it gains any traction, because it's a bad design in the platform and ends up potentially hurting any user:

I'm a superhost in Caifornia with 14 months on the platform. Recently I have started renting my whole house instead of the individual bedrooms. Both of my recent reservations left significant damage to my property, causing me to use the request for funds and the resolutions center. The first guest is denying responsibility despite the clear evidence I have in photo and video, and we have now gone to the "involve Airbnb" stage.

Despite this, the review process is still open to them. It occurs to me that I'm in quite a vulnerable position, because guests who don't want to pay up for the damage they caused could leave me a bad review and hurt my business, which I have worked extremely hard to build. A host shouldn't be put in the situation where the guest has a hammer to hold over their head if the host asks for reimbursement to the significant damage caused by the guest, and the guest doesn't want to pay.

And here's the real problem: guests who book a whole house often come in a big group, but only one member of the group has an Airbnb profile involved. If some other person in the group damages something when no one else is looking, they are likely to not say anything, because they want to avoid the embarrassment, especially in groups of young people who are coming to party, or when there are little kids involved who don't want to get in trouble with their parents/elders. A kid is more likely to just hide something in a closet and hope it goes unnoticed so they don't get in trouble. Therefore, the individual with the Airbnb profile, who made the reservation, now has to respond to the request for money, even though they ACTUALLY have no knowledge of the damage themselves, because it was someone else in the group who caused it, and they didn't personally notice it before they checked out.

Then the host is in a situation where the individual guest who made the reservation feels attacked and accused of something they didn't do, even though the host has photo evidence that the damage occurred. In that scenario, the guest is likely to leave a bad review, and the offending individual in the group, who did not make the reservation, has literally NO incentive to admit the damage except for their potential concern for their relationship with the individual who made the reservation. Even still, they're more likely to stay quiet, since in a big group it will never come to light who caused the damage, and the situation is so amorphous and removed anyway, especially if people have traveled a long way. That puts a host who has incurred significant damage to their property, but doesn't want a bad review, in a really crappy position.

My recommendation is that you suspend the review process for both parties entirely until the resolution request process has been completed. If the guest pays it within 72 hours, the issue is settled amicably and the review option opens back up for both parties immediately. But if it comes to the "Involve Airbnb" stage, then after the resolution process is completed, Airbnb's neutral team should make a judgment on whether or not either party should be allowed to leave a review. You will end up with a more honest reflection of hosts and guests on the platform that way, instead of letting personal feelings and revenge dictate hosts' or guests' public image on the platform. And that's the goal, right?

Also, let's face it: it's hosts who have everything to lose in a situation like that, not guests. Guests are barely impacted by bad reviews at all, considering that most hosts allow instant book, and even in the very rare event that a guest gets kicked off the platform, they can always just have someone else with an account make future reservations for them. But a host could have their business significantly damaged by even a couple of unwarranted bad reviews, and that ends up costing Airbnb money too, since, after all, it's the hosts who are Airbnb's cash cow and provide all the services from which income Airbnb collects its fees.

35 Replies 35
Jane550
Level 6
Australia

I think a lot of the time the guests don’t bother to read the house rules or actually anything at all in the house description! I’ve had guests ask how many beds do you have or do you have aircon when it’s clearly stated! I don’t mind answering but it lends to the type of person who doesn’t follow rules and leaves the house trashed!

@Jane550 My listing heading is Unique Tropical for Solo Traveler. I've had inquiries- "So is it only for one person?"

But I have to say, I've been lucky- the majority of my guests are thorough readers.

Julie394
Level 4
Australia

It is the responsibility of AirBnb to ensure guests read the house rules. ABB discharge this and many other responsibility to the hosts. ABB must ask the direct question "Did you read the house rules and all listing's descriptions ?" before processing the payments. Then, if there are damages or the house rules have been disreguarded as it is in 90% of the reservations in my case,the request for  payment should be authomatically processed given there is evidence. Not having to go through the ridicilous procedure that is in place now.

Julie-And-Jason0
Level 1
Tasmania, Australia

Well said Brian - we manage dozens of properties and we know that a) If a guest leaves a review straight away it is normally good. b) if a guest does not review you straight away and they know they left the place a mess, broke things and did not follow house rules they are holding the review over your head. c) if we write a review before the guest, the guests generally know it is a bad review and subsequently write a revenge review... it is a fundamentally flawed system open to systemic abuse... 

Totally agree that if an owner or host has to write a bad review or reports the guest for misconduct, the guests ability to review should be terminated - full stop. Even then, they will find your webpage or Google My Business page and write a revenge review anyway... Damned if you do, damned if you dont...

We let a guest stay at one of our properties over the weekend and they left it an absolute pig sty - no respect for the house rules, broke a lamp, a cupboard door, left all the heaters on, left the secure carparking open despite the fact they had a 5 star review on their profile. Now, they have not reviewed or contact us we know they are holding the review over our heads - if we report them and ask for compensation they will know and write a bad review. If we review them now they will know and then write us a bad review - simply put, we will have to wear the damage and just not write a review...

Terrible system easily abused.

Thank you!

Well it is 2022 and this still hasn't changed so again it doesn't look like AirBnB wishes to protect their hosts. We had the exact issue where we asked for extra funds for  trash being left outside and inside and I responded within the 72 hours. This resulted in the party leaving a 1-star review dropping my total review from 4.9 to 4.4. I have spent HOURS trying to work with AirBnB regarding the damage and they said they  cannot delete the review. The review was not even accurate but they said it was in compliance with their rules.

I have also had third party bookings and they didn't leave any ratings. It was an athletic director and school was out because it was the summer.

AirBnB was polite when working with them, but responded that "ratings aren''t everything".  Which was funny as without ratings you can't get superhost.

I think the ID part is a good idea, but I wonder how much this deters bookings.

Elizabeth2671
Level 2
Paris, France

On July 2022, I had a couple with several dogs coming to my brand new house in Paris. They left the house on a terrible state, dirty with dogs sleeping in our beds but more important with extremely deep and expensive damages including breaking tiles and sink in our brand new marble luxury bathrooms.

We immediately request Air Cover  that in the first week insured us that the damages will be refunded. We did then the reparation for more than, 4 900€ of costs. 

Since then, and after requesting from all invoices, airbnb has totally abandoned us in that situation. We sent more than 90 emails, I have made more than 85 calls to the client service with all the time a promise of the service to be called back for a quick resolution and with never any called made. 

I could never imagine such a way for airbnb to treat their clients. I have filled a police report, even wrote to the director or AIRBNB France Emmanuel Marill, and still, strictly NO ACTION from airbnb. 

Has someone already experienced such a chaotic experience with airbnb ?