How to Lawfully Comply with Ordinances Essentially Requiring Stays of 30 Days or More?

Michael1997
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

How to Lawfully Comply with Ordinances Essentially Requiring Stays of 30 Days or More?

What are the mechanics of lawfully complying with an ordinance in California that prohibits stays of less than 30 days?  In other words, Is there a way to list my vacation home for less money per day and require a 30-day minimum, with the understanding that some or most renters will leave early, say 7, 14, or 21 days into their stay?  If so, would the renters be entitled to a refund, or could I make it clear that they have the property for 30 days but they can leave sooner with no refund due? 

Practically speaking, if I could list the property for $250 per night if there were no 30-day minimum stay ordinance in place, and I could reasonably expect to rent it 20 nights per month, could I list it for $166 per day with a 30-day minimum, or would the 30-day minimum just kill any hope of hosting?  If the market rate is $250 per night and they see a listing for $166 per night, I suppose the listing would only be attractive to folks considering a stay of at least a couple weeks anyway, and maybe the market is thin for longer stays like that.  

If I limit stays to 12 per year, e.g. every 30 days, could I lawfully comply and would I be able to attractively advertise my vacation property in a way that would be effective generating interest? 

Forgive my lame questions, as I have not ever been a host, and with these ordinances, I might never be a host...Your guidance is very much appreciated.  Many thanks.  

Mike

1 Reply 1
Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

You have not citied what law you are referring to,  but you appear to be attempting to sidestep the law.  Any prosecutor or judge will see right through this,  I am afraid,  if push came to shove, and might add criminal fraud to the mix.
I'm sorry if Sacramento is trying to infringe on your property rights,  but this approach is probably not going to work well.