How to Refund Guest with Strict Cancellation

How to Refund Guest with Strict Cancellation

We are new hosts this summer and unfortunately our pool has sprung a leak. Service company won't be able to take a look at it until tomorrow, and we were advised that it would take at least 48 hours to fully determine the problem.  Our next booking is 12 days from now.  Not knowing how complex the problem might be, we gave the next guest the heads up on the issue. Since we can't guarantee that the pool will be in working order by the time they check in, we wanted to give them the option to find other accommodations and offered to refund them 100%. The guest graciously understood and was willing to cancel on their end. Turns out, the guest couldn't cancel due to the Strict cancellation policy. Airbnb support is advising that we hosts cancel the booking, which comes with all the host penalties.  

We're trying to do the right thing by letting the guest know of an issue that arose concerning a major amenity that was out of our control.  What is the best way to handle this that would hopefully not penalize us as hosts? 

Thanks in advance. 

8 Replies 8
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Just call Airbnb. This is what I always do if I want to handle a refund that doesn’t conform to my refund policy. This is one thing they can handle. Just make sure to ask them to NOT to process it as a host cancellation, but rather as an Airbnb cancellation, to avoid host penalties.

The one thing that Airbnb might not do is refund the Airbnb guest fee. I’ve had inconsistent luck with Airbnb refunding that.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have a look at Airbnbs extenuating circumstances policy for hosts. Tell Airbnb you want to cancel under this policy. You can provide them with proof that emergency work to the pool is being undertaken. @Patricia340

Also do read up on the strict cancellation policy you have set so you understand the T&C for the policy.

if you want to cancel then you should cancel the booking not ask your guests to do it as the guest will lose out financially which wouldn't be fair. 

We didn't want to cancel. The guest took the option to cancel because we couldn't guarantee that they'd have a pool to use. They were still welcome to proceed with their booking but we were upfront about the pool issue and agreed to refund them 100% if they chose to look for other accommodations, in effect giving them a way out with no financial loss to them. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Rather confused in your first post you clearly stated you wanted to give guests the option to cancel as you couldn't guarantee use of the pool

that being  the case you should cancel under Airbnb's EC policy for hosts @Patricia3408 

as you can't guarantee providing a key amenity 

Yes, we gave the Guest the option - so it was ultimately their choice/decision to Cancel. 

I could find no reference about loss of amenities under Airbnb's EC policy (Extenuating Circumstances Policy - Airbnb Help Center). If this is the wrong EC policy, please share the right one for future reference. 

In any case, we successfully came to a mutual agreement with the Guest. They clearly understood the situation, opted to cancel, and they eventually submitted the cancelation.  We followed through on our end and refunded them 100%.  

@Patricia3408 You can try asking guests to cancel and promise them you will give them full refund. After the cancellation, Airbnb will send you an email and then you have a chance to give them a full refund. If the owner give the full refund, the service and tax will refund too.  

Thanks @Z-2  - this is exactly what we ended up doing.

Initially, the Guest didn't seem to be able to submit the cancelation and was coming across Airbnb Help articles that suggested only the Host can cancel. That was why I posted my question. So we are good now. 

@Patricia3408 I didn't read your last post before I posted mine. It's great all worked out.