How to Shut Down Parties, and Follow Up with Claims

Wesley58
Level 3
Albany, NY

How to Shut Down Parties, and Follow Up with Claims

I noticed that there weren't any threads on shutting down house parties, so I wanted to start one. This is the process that I use for stopping a party, and I did so recently as well. Below is a quick screen grab of the security camera footage while police were rounding people up. Capture.PNG

Basically, here's my steps in short form.

1.  Ask the guest the guest to stop the party immediately via AirBnB's messenger
  2. (wait 15 min) Call the guest to ask them to stop the party immediately (we don't expect them to answer the phone usually in this case)
  3. Send someone to the house to stop the party. They will attempt to find the guest. If successful they will ask everyone to leave and the guest to assist in clearing out the party. IMPORTANT: at the first sign of agitation we ask our representative to leave immediately and call the police.

In order to prevent parties, we charge $75 per guest that we catch on camera at any given time. This is meant to be a deterrent.

Does anyone have tips on how to handle crashing parties? Any tips on how to file the claims to AirBnB? 

2 Replies 2
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Wesley58

What worries me is that the police see it as a civil matter - someone has legal access to property and invited friends over etc. so unless you are local, I don't think calling the guest on the phone is going to do it.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

The problem with calling police in Chicago is that it would "ding" my property and my license might not be renewed. I would of course do it if I must, but best handled it on my own