How to View Hidden Profile Photos

How to View Hidden Profile Photos

So, I'm as irritated about this as everyone else.  I learned that the profile photo is hidden using site cookies.  So, actually the person's profile photo is visible to everyone EXCEPT the host receiving the request/inquiry. 

If using Chrome, just right click on the person's name and select "Open link in incognito window".  Then you will be able to see their profile photo, if they have one.

112 Replies 112
Katja8
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I completely agree with you Rebecca. I feel exactly the same. Fairness means that both parties are able to see a picture and learn a bit about the guest/host. 

This new policy is very wrong!

Katja8
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Yes. I completeltely agree.

Andy448
Level 3
Glasgow, United Kingdom

You have made such an important and honest comment. Who in their right mind, would ever open the door to a complete stranger?! Absurd and actually dangerous. So it seems we are ‘forced’ to accept bookings we are perhaps mire uncertain about, meanwhile the terms apllied to cancelling that booking if we do find were uncomfortable are so severe we may as well quit the platform. This policy seems to go against so much of how this company promotes itself and what makes it thrive socially and culturally. Perhaps they are just waiting till they have enough profits to build airship hotels which float above beauty spots and cities dropping guests down to concerts and festivals; maybe thats what AirBnb means!! ( oops I shouldnt of said that! They Might actually do that)

Finally this organisation seems to be biased towards the guest customer. But hosts not only pay too! but take ALL the Risk. Seems this verges on being being prejudice against other people who are making money from renting their homes. Users should lobby the company or they will never realise the mistakes they are making and the money there are not. 

These are really good points

I've had to stop hosting on several occasions because of the pressure related to accepting a certain quota of request regardless of if they were a good fit or totally disregarded my required guest requirements. I had two very uncomfortable situations that I decided not to panic or overreact to. I just treated the guest extra nice so the situation wouldn't go sour. 

The mother of a 3rd party booking was an alcoholic, smoked cigar and was partially deaf so talked at an extremely high volume on the phone all day. To keep her from drinking and smoking in front of my home, I had to give her access to the entire house so she could drink and smoke in the backyard. It was an awful week for me. It's not that she was very nice. I decided against complaining to her son or Airbnb. in fear of a negative review or worse. Almost all of my 3rd party bookings have been mothers of locals. This always results in a guest that hasn't read my listing and house rules or guest that are totally unfamiliar with home sharing. I always tell the person booking to be sure their guest reads the House Rules, yet it never happens. Another thing with the 3rd party guest is they almost always have visitors. Whereas my listing clearly states NO VISITORS.
I then had a young woman book my place for 4 days, left after 2 days and gave my house key to another guest without my knowledge or permission. Again I just decided to treat everyone nicely and make the best of it. Because my maximum length of stay is 6 days, I can endure some of the less than ideal situations with grace.
Because I've been able to use my own judgment to select my guest based on their photos, profile, reviews, and questions back and forth before accepting request the overall experience has been great for me as well as the guest. I value that I have been able to connect with and host likeminded woman. This also doesn't draw attention from my neighbors. 
As I mentioned above I stopped hosting after two problematic guest back to back. Starting back up only recently only to find a new policy in place to further abuse host by not providing profile photos with the booking request. This is absurd, as host images of our homes are made public with detailed information yet we are expected to basically let faceless anonymous people into our homes. This may work fine for instant book and properties that host don't live in. I am a real estate professional and am very well aware of discrimination laws. Even under most laws, people are allowed to decide who the rent to in their private homes. 
Even in online dating where people might interact for an hour or two in public requires profile photos. Bottom line is I need to see the face and eyes of a person coming into my home. I am not running a hotel. The higher level of risk now associated with hosting on Airbnb and the increasing burdens heaped on the host to adhere to unreasonable pressures is taking the joy out of hosting. This is a very imbalanced system that exploits the very (in home) host that they built their Ad Campaigns on. As soon as a new platform similar to Airbnb becomes available Airbnb will get what they deserve. Unfortunately, many of us have come to rely on the extra income. 
SHAME ON YOU AIRBNB for putting PROFIT AND CONVENIENCE BEFORE THE SAFETY AND WELLBEING OF YOUR HOST
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Christopher187 Although I was not able to view the guest's photo using this extension, I diduncover it accidently when I requested Help with the booking request window open.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I find the profile photo pops up using the AirReview add-in with Firefox anyway. I might also have “browse in private mode” set to permanent, I’m not sure...

I use AirReview because I personally put more stock into seeing both sides of past reviews to get a feel for what I can expect. AirReview shows me not only the reviews Hosts have left the Guest, but underneath those it also shows the other side of the conversation : the reviews the Guest left previous Hosts!  Now those are just gold.

I recently noticed that an upcoming guest had a habit of commenting on stairs in his past reviews, to the extent that he said one persons property wasn’t suitable for the “infirm” because of all the stairs. This made me pause because our listing makes a big deal of talking about all the steps and stairs. There is no way around them.

Worried we’d get the same type of review from him... I wrote him a message saying... as part of ensuring we best meet our guests needs we like to check out their past reviews to learn how we can go the extra mile... I then talked about our stairs... wanted to ensure he’d read the listing... offered help with bags... said I understood if he wanted to cancel... He came back and was totally fine with it. He’s not infirm, but he has a beef with “surprise stairs” that aren’t made clear in the listing (fair enough!). So we’re all good and on the same page 🙂

Seriously, AirReview is gold. I’ll be gutted if it ever stops working...

Ben - I had never heard of AirReview until now. Game changer! Thanks so much!! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ben551

With all the apps available these days we are at the point where we have to rationalise how many we want to have I am am a bit puzzled by this one....AirReview!

Without AirReview all you have to do is click the guests photo and you will be taken to their profile page. From there you can see their previous guest history and cross reference with those hosts....

It seems like a solution looking for a problem to me!!!

Cheers.....Rob

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Robin4 Yeah you can manually follow every host link and scan through pages to match the response, one by one, but AirReview puts it all on one page and does it for you instantly. It saves hours, if you do this kind of screening. Lightening fast view of both sides of a conversation on one page. I only mentioned it in this thread because it seems to show the profile photo even when it’s being hidden by AirBnb.

I recommend installing it to see what I mean. Its a browser add-inn and I think you can get it for Chrome and Firefox. Not sure if other browsers support it. I use it in Firefox.

Rebecca0
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Robin4  Honestly, Ben is right.  I've been using AirReview for over a year and it is really great. 

Of course you can cross-reference guest reviews with past hosts but what if several of the hosts have 500+ reviews?   I don't have time to scroll through those hundreds of pages. 

AirReview just gives you all the info right there in front of you:  this guest never leaves reviews for anyone; this guest leaves generally nice and fair reviews;  this guest consistently leaves mean-spirited reviews.  It helps me enormously to manage expectations and, on one occasion, gave me reason to cancel a guest.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rebecca0 @Ben551

I am always open to good ideas, and that is the great thing about the Community Centre, there is always something that someone can teach us.

Thanks, I will give AirReview a try!

Cheers.....Rob

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

magic!

The policy of hiding profiles and pictures is a ridulous. I had a couple of bad experiences where the potential guest was more interested in something else other than renting a room and made mention that I am like his girlfriend who likes to fight before they have sex. I was in shock. This all occurred because I had a death in the family and couldn't respond in time to his request to confirm a date to stay. Although he heard nothing from me, he still went ahead and booked and was then annoyed when I was not around. I have since  made sure that all reservations are confirmed by me before the guest is confirmed. So what happens if this guy approaches my site again and I cannot see or know who he is? I also had another situation where a female student (who told me that she was mentally ill two days after she arrived) ultimately failed all of her exams. She subsequently had a full breakdown and freaked out, shouting and cussing. I was petrified. When she went through the door, I thought it was all over until 3 police turned up at my home. Luckily for me, she had informed them also that she was mentally ill and they advised me to allow her to immediately leave. I contatced Airbnb throughout the ordeal and they never asnwered my call nor emails for 12 hours. I would never want to have this woman in my home gain. So I am really upset that the policy has changed and does not provide protection for the hosts. We need to fight this. If I cannot at least read a profile before a booking takes place, I will not be taking that guest. It's that simple. If we all take this stance, it would certainly affect Airbnb

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@ Louise, unfortunately a tag option does not come up for you, so I hope you see this.

I just took a look at your reviews to get an idea of how the reviews ended up for the cases you described and if I could just make a comment.....don't bring private feedback out onto the public part of your profile.

One of your guests left you a nice review......"nice clean apartment in a nice location in London, conveniently situated near public transportation. Louise was very friendly and welcoming" .and you launched into lenghty response about dirty bed linens! The rest of us see this, scratch our heads and go ....'What th'!

Appreciate that sometimes the guest just wants to give you a little private tip that could help you. They don't want to make a big public deal about it, they are in actual fact being kind to you. Some guests would scream out in the public review, 'dirty bed' and that could be a disaster for you.

Just accept what the guest has said in the private feedback and send an explanation in the message stream with the guest....that way you won't be shooting yourself in the foot!

Cheers......Rob