How to View Hidden Profile Photos

How to View Hidden Profile Photos

So, I'm as irritated about this as everyone else.  I learned that the profile photo is hidden using site cookies.  So, actually the person's profile photo is visible to everyone EXCEPT the host receiving the request/inquiry. 

If using Chrome, just right click on the person's name and select "Open link in incognito window".  Then you will be able to see their profile photo, if they have one.

112 Replies 112

@Dan0 ... guess the already found out and only issue the reacted promptly after found out from our open chats... guess that why the chats are for - that people tell them the bugs and they correct... I can also not see anymore in the privat window... Guess they blocked it already since ea few days

Jean-and-Karl0
Level 2
Maple Grove, MN

@@Airbnb why not let those booking decide whether they want to show their picture? Why would a guest want to stay at a home where their gender, race (or anything else that would show in a picture) isn’t welcome? I’d rather have someone decline me based on that they don’t like how I appear in a photo or my info, than to have them dislike me when I arrive or cancel after I book. There are many places to choose and many hosts that won’t discriminate- that’s the host I want to be and would be my wishes as a guest. 

There is comfort in seeing a photo as we decide who should enter our home or neighborhood, whether we like that or not. A fuzzy, bad, dark picture or one of an avitar or animal is not what I want to see for my guest. It says “something” about someone That is willing to come and stay in your home, even stay with you, but is unwilling to show their face.

Jeremy129
Level 6
New South Wales, Australia

We are also angry at the lack of guest photos. What we have decided is no NOT allow any booking without previous 5 star review. Airbnb has forced us into this position to relie on other hosts reviews as we get nothing but their first name. So, Airbnb has shot itself in the foot on this issue.... no more 1st time Airbnb users will be able to stay. It's less earning for us and Airbnb.... a backward step which we are annoyed at since we spent over 80k setting up two custom built Airbnb's in my area not knowing these "lack of trust" rules would come in. 

I don’t give negative reviews on really bad guests ,,,I’m scared of the backlash so I’ll only be accepting guest with great reviews also 

Rosanna51
Level 4
Queensland, Australia

Well I decided if I can’t see my potential guests photo till after booking, I’ll take my profile pic off too. Done!!!

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rosanna51 

You haven't really done it, because your second photo of a woman, presumably yourself is still visible.

A Guest just has to click on this second photo.

Best Wishes! 

Sue703
Level 2
Sandy, UT

I agree, this is my home, not a hotel!  I should have the right to see who I am allowing in my own home!  I hate this decision be air b&b!!!

Demetra5
Level 2
Carbondale, IL

I'm late to this discussion. But it only seems fair that potential guests are able to see what their host looks like prior to any reservation confirmation. Why arent hosts granted the same option ? Just a thought. 

Mandy3
Level 6
Falkland, Canada

Does this still work?  Sorry, but I saw the comment that it no longer worked, and I'm curious.  Interestingly, since changing my profile photo to an oil painting of a clown, and  changing all my listing photos to hand written notes asking for guests photos, I have only had three inquires on two listings, and two bookings - both of which I accepted despite there being no photo - both were returning guests who were confused about why I was being so "snarky".  

@Mandy3  Much as I find your approach to the new "no profile photo until after booking" policy quite amusing, I can't imagine you will get any bookings at all going forward. You may as well just send your previous guests an explanation by text or phone call, and ask them to contact you directly if they or their friends wish to book again, and remove your listing.

And those handwritten note photos still won't lead to you being able to see the guests' photos pre-booking, that is simply not available anymore. Of course, we hope they'll backtrack on this due to all the outraged responses from hosts, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for your feedback Sarah.

Patrick1154
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

no profile info, no reviews, no business at my place.

Nancy26
Level 3
Delray Beach, FL

The person who is inquiring on my property still only comes up with the circle with a V in it. 

Emma97
Level 3
Paris, France

Hi everyone. Again and again...WHY would airbnb take decisions on behalf of the guests?? Putting a profil's photo is AN OPTION not at all an OBLIGATION, and those who have put a photo, (decided to), so WHY would airbnb go against their willing of putting their photos?? i personaly recieved since then many messages from people i cant even tell if they were men or women, young  or elder, while have several places, with different standards, and used to send an honest advice to the guest before, so the more we get to know the guest, the more the advice is appropriate, and many of those guests have often an empty profil, so not possible anymore to be of any help with only a first name....... Airbnb founders  started a great job by creating this wonderful community, that those who are managing the site now are shooting it in the leg, and the given reason, for hiding the photos,  (against decrimination) is not the correct reason, i guess, as why then not hide the name?? the countries?? from where we can "if want to, have much motre information about the guests than a simple photo... This is really a shame, and changed the whole lovely spirit of this community, that is not a community anymore, if airbnb think that they should hide the photo of the person we are supposed to host, till we accept hosting....I cant belive anyone would agree on any benefit coming out of this new but very weired policy....

EXACTLY!!! If someone doesn't want to show their photo they dont' need to upload it, its optional.  Now Airbnb coming in and taking that away could backfire I am afraid.  It's just a matter of someone with a legal background to sue. 

BA House Cleaning