How to add fees to reservation request after guest agrees to them in messaging?

Matthew147
Level 3
Chicago, IL

How to add fees to reservation request after guest agrees to them in messaging?

Hello all - 

Quick question as this always makes me feel a little uncomfortable with "declining" a reservation.  Bullet points for my engineering brain.

1. Guest requests a reservation - all is good, dates available etc.
  2. Guest has cats - we have a no pet policy
  3. She assures me they're declawed, fixed, etc. etc. etc.
  4. I tell her I'll book her stay but add on an additional cleaning fee of $100
  5. She says that's great.
  6. Cool <happy dance>

Now what?  I go through to decline the offer and there's nothing there for this type of situation?  I just want to make sure I do it right and don't look like a total noob.

PS - wanted to add that I know how to make a "special offer" which is what I want to do, but figure I have to decline the current reservation request first?  Just clarifying!

Thanks!

8 Replies 8
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Matthew147,

You are completely correct.  On a reservation request, you need to decline and then you are given the option to send a special offer.  You could also accept the reservation and then send a request for additional money for the pet fee.  I actually like doing it this way as then both the host and guest would not be charged a service fee on the $100 as you and the guest will be when you add it into the special offer.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Matthew147,

Great to see you post here in the Community Center.

I just wanted to check you have seen @Dave-and-Deb0's reply here? 

Do you have any suggestions on how you would like this to work instead?

Lizzie

(Thanks @Dave-and-Deb0)

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hello Dave & Deb! 

I found this thread helpful as my situation is similar but had an additional question.  You see, my guest has been booked for quite some time and just this week made mention of our "pets by permission only" policy.  We chatted over a few days we agreed to a $100 pet fee or cleaning fee (whatever you want to call it.)  It is not a deposit and wouldn't be refundable.  I saw where you could request more money and planned to go this route but when I attempted to do this, the message I got said I didn't have any reservations eligible to request money from????  This particular guest is checking in a week.  I haven't been able to figure out what reservations would be eligible?  Do I have any other options? 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Erin

@Erin178 the request money feature is for a current or past stay. For one that hasn't happened yet, go into the reservation and create an alteration to the reservation to increase the $100. The guest must "agree/approve" your alteration request.

@Kelly149...Thank you so much for the information!  It was extremely helpful! 

@Kelly149...one more question

I did what you said to and added the extra $100 to her subtotal but the guest wrote back and said that it ended up being $121.29.  Seems that it charged her tax and a service fee, is there any way around this?  If not, given that her reservation is a week out should I just have her cancel it and send her a special offer? 

Thanks again for your help! 

Erin

@Erin178 No there isn’t. You can guess at about what abb will add for tax & service fee and adjust your first amount to get close. In my area the tax should be charged on all amounts so it would need to be added

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

HI,

Making a special offer will also result in adding AIRBNB servicecosts to the amount.

This was allready mentioned above in the posting by @Dave-and-Deb0 

If you cancel you will be penalised (depending also on if it was an Instant Book or not)

If you want to add a (higher) cleaning fee (which this is and which is also subject to VAT), you can change your listing.

But it will not effect the current reservation. Only way left is to use the Resolution Centre, but then you have to wait after check-in of the guests.

Best, Emiel