How to address this situation?

Jan467
Level 2
Strathmore, Australia

How to address this situation?

Hi, I'm new to Airbnb (third booking last weekend). First two bookings went well, but a few issues with the last one.

My place was booked for one guest, though it sleeps 8, and my co-host queried the guest asking if it was only one guest, 

as it made it an expensive weekend for one person staying. (Cost is the same for 1-8 guests). He did not answer the query and the mobile number he provided was incorrect. My co-host and I both sent him messages with co-hosts mobile number to arrange to meet at the house,

but no reply. Ten minutes before arriving he rang me to arrange entry to the house, luckily my co-host lives next door!

Turned out there were 8 guests - 2 adults and 6 children - a group of schoolchildren and a teacher from California, and a bus driver from

Avalon, NSW. The booking was made in the bus driver's name, but on his profile it said his address is California, not Avalon, NSW.

I think it was the first booking he has made on Airbnb.

Should I mention these issues in my review of their stay or contact Airbnb?

My co-host said they were great guests, so no problem with their stay other than those I've outlined above. 

I note from reading other Q & A's that insurance would be an issue if there were any problems!

Your advice would be appreciated,

Jan.

5 Replies 5
Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

If this was the bus driver's first time using airbnb and you didn't lose any money, I would only mention it in the private feedback. He will need to know for the next time he books somewhere.

Next time you can get a person to accept a booking alteration so that they are covered by insurance.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Jan467 Not sure what insurance you are referring to, but if it's Airbnb's "host guarantee" please ensure you have adequate insurance yourself as there's appears somewhat tricky to actually claim against.

I don't think he did anything wrong except not make you aware of the correct number of guests.  But as you charge the same regardless it wouldn't seem like a huge issue. He didn't break any poilicies (that I am aware of) as he was part of the group that stayed.

On a personal note though, I would want to know that 6 children were coming with only 2 adults. Communication is therefore the only thing you could really comment on with some negativity and something he should consider for any future bookings.

Cheers

Gillian

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Inherently, allowing 8 people has an exponentially higher risk for guest 'group fiascos' to occur. The other 2 people that have stayed thus far, how many were they in number?

I would not make issue of the manner in which they communicated, since all turned out well, but perhaps mention it privately.

Jan467
Level 2
Strathmore, Australia

Hi and thank you for your replies Fred, Gillian and Noel! 

I will send a private message to the guest to suggest better communication for a booking, and write a positive public review. Fred, our past 2 bookings have been families - 2 adults and 4 children/ 6 adults and 2 children. So we have been fortunate so far - no "party groups"!

Thanks again to all of you for your kind assistance. Jan.

Eileen12
Level 3
Grass Valley, CA

First I would mention the dishonesty in your review for the benefit of future hosts. I often read reviews of guests before I accept a booking. Second, I would take money from their deposit to cover the other guests fees. Guests need to learn that they cannot get away with this. Your asset is worth more than a positive review. You will always recover from a negative review.